Summit League Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

Dr. Cornelius

Summit League Basketball Coaches Rank the Best Jobs in the Conference

spacer.png

4. ORAL ROBERTS (51) – The Golden Eagles have gone to a handful of NCAA Tournaments, including three straight under Scott Sutton from 2006-08. They also went to the Elite Eight way back in 1974 under Ken Trickey. It has no shortage of history and also has the best recruiting base in the league. They have NBA players to sell: Mark Acres and Haywoode Workman.

Where they win: “No football, so it’s all about basketball. Great proximity to Texas and Arkansas.” – Summit assistant

Where they lose: “Travel to the Dakotas. It’s not easy.” – Summit assistant

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5d4b18815c68a-bpfull.jpg
Bison82
  •  

LOL I would love to know which schools’ coaches they asked for this. I am not even sure I would put NDSU number 1, but certainly wouldn’t put Denver number 2. The only thing Denver has an advantage in is the fact that it’s in Denver. Not sure why USD and even UND are so low, and how ORU is so high. Their fan support is average and facilities probably the worst in the league.

This was on the Summit Board and I thought this would for sure get a laugh OT. image.jpeg.ada21ecab000f33b5b050d784015b99d.jpeg

The main reason ORU is listed that high, as the numbers show, is history and location. 

I mean, no one else in the league has made The Elite Eight, has more All-Americans, more players log minutes in the NBA, or a former coach who is a Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer.

But “history” is different than “tradition”, which ORU sorely lacks any more.

The Dakota schools have more tradition - more identity with their students, their fans, and their home town - than ORU does, which comes in no small part from them being land-grant public institutions rather than private religious schools.

18 hours ago, Old Titan said:

The main reason ORU is listed that high, as the numbers show, is history and location. 

I mean, no one else in the league has made The Elite Eight, has more All-Americans, more players log minutes in the NBA, or a former coach who is a Naismith Basketball Hall of Famer.

But “history” is different than “tradition”, which ORU sorely lacks any more.

The Dakota schools have more tradition - more identity with their students, their fans, and their home town - than ORU does, which comes in no small part from them being land-grant public institutions rather than private religious schools.

facilities probably the worst in the league? I find that hard to believe. Is that really true?

23 minutes ago, ORU GRAD said:

facilities probably the worst in the league? I find that hard to believe. Is that really true?

....I'm a little confused, since you quoted my last post in your reply above ^^^^?

I didn't say anything about facilities, one way or the other. 

ORU ranked in the middle of the pack in the survey when it comes to facilities, which sounds about right.

This was the Bison 82 statement on the summit board concerning ORU.

I just found that laughable. This was not your statement. I do believe our facilities are being improved each and every year since the last two Presidents at ORU. Our baseball facilities are excellent and each year we have been improving ORU with new improvements in the other areas of sports including the Mabee Center., tennis courts, soccer, and new outdoor track facilities. I do not feel we are the worst facilities in the league.  Our fan support is another thing and has been decreasing each year and that is depressing. Our sports seems to be on a downturn overall and that is a big concern for me personally but at the same time we are improving the facilities.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

This was the Bison 82 statement on the summit board concerning ORU.

I just found that laughable. This was not your statement. I do believe our facilities are being improved each and every year since the last two Presidents at ORU. Our baseball facilities are excellent and each year we have been improving ORU with new improvements in the other areas of sports including the Mabee Center., tennis courts, soccer, and new outdoor track facilities. I do not feel we are the worst facilities in the league.  Our fan support is another thing and has been decreasing each year and that is depressing. Our sports seems to be on a downturn overall and that is a big concern for me personally but at the same time we are improving the facilities.

i think that this poll only relates to the basketball facilities, not all athletics (since it is about the best basketball jobs).  So, in other words, how does a nearly 50 year old Mabee Center, the practice gym and locker rooms stack up against the Summit?

Nobody in this league has an arena approaching the Mabee Center... They might be nice gyms and more ‘cozy’ and intimate (smaller), but they are not the Mabee Center. Also doubt our locker rooms (newly renovated) are anything but top tier. 

• Upvote 1

ORU just needs a team to match our facilities....hopefully the ORU men will be improved in 2019-20.....the past 6-7 years have been pathetic....Mabee Center may have been falling apart a decade ago but from photos TheEagleman has seen the improvements have been top notch.....hard to believe any team in the Summit League has better facilities.....:tb-white:

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Nobody in this league has an arena approaching the Mabee Center... They might be nice gyms and more ‘cozy’ and intimate (smaller), but they are not the Mabee Center. Also doubt our locker rooms (newly renovated) are anything but top tier. 

Terry, it pains me to say this since I watched it being built from my bedroom window and have seen every ORU season that's ever been played there, but the Mabee Center does not measure up anymore with modern arenas. 

While the lower rows of the Gold section do put fans close to the action, the low-angle of the seating bowl puts anyone 20-rows back much further from the action than comparable seating in newer arenas.  Not that it's mattered lately, but the Blue seats are ridiculously far from the court.  Plus, the lack of any open concourses around the arena is very old-school.  Not to mention the dirth of concession stands, the handicap-averse bathroom steps, the limited arena access/egress via just two antiquated escalators, the single vintage elevator for the entire arena, etc. 

And remember, those opinions in the survey are coming from ORU opponents.  Have you ever been inside the opponent's locker room at the Mabee Center?  It's pretty dang sparse (though at least it's not pink, and as far as I know the air conditioning works, unlike what LSU recently accused Texas of doing).

I'm guessing that South Dakota's brand-new arena is nicer, pretty sure that Omaha plays in a newer arena than the Mabee Center as well.  I think ranking the Mabee Center in the middle of the pack is pretty fair, and mainly because a couple of the schools play in some real dumps.

But, the home team locker rooms ARE really blingy, so there's that... 😎

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

i think that this poll only relates to the basketball facilities, not all athletics (since it is about the best basketball jobs).  So, in other words, how does a nearly 50 year old Mabee Center, the practice gym and locker rooms stack up against the Summit?

I think that's probably why NDSU is rightfully at the top of this list. ORU needs to improve the weight room (locker room is already first class)... not sure what can be done about the practice gym since it's within the Mabee footprint.

The big downside for the Dakota schools is their location and weather. I highly doubt a coach outside of the upper midwest would look at relocating to Bismarck or Fargo... of course you could make the same arguments against ORU with it's religious affiliation.

TheEagleman can see OT's points about Mabee...built as a "state of the art" arena in 1971-72 it's not what we would design today....yeah, the blue seats are awful...not that anybody ever sits in them for ORU basketball.....I have to admit that I haven't been in the place since 1976 and while it was very nice 40+ years ago it's old school now and a big white elephant...we don't need a 10K seat arena and haven't for years.....would be nice if ORU could tear it down and build a modern 5000 seat arena with better sight lines and fan friendly ammenities....but that's not gonna happen....🤑

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Why the heck not??

#MakeNoLittlePlansHere

I wonder what the chance of that happening within the next 15-20 years would be? 🤔

It seems like the majority of the events that require a 10,000+ arena have been bypassing Mabee ever since the BOK was opened.

7 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I wonder what the chance of that happening within the next 15-20 years would be? 🤔

It seems like the majority of the events that require a 10,000+ arena have been bypassing Mabee ever since the BOK was opened.

A 5,000 seat arena with lots of open concourses and suites would suffice quite nicely, similar to what USD just built and Omaha built in 2015.