FLASH POLL - IPFW Announcement 8/6/19

Old Titan

FLASH POLL: Big Announcement 8/6/19 from IPFW?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What do you suppose IPFW is announcing on Tuesday?

• Joining the Horizon League in 2022
    • Dropping athletic programs in 2021
    • Changing name to FWU, despite the fact it sounds kinda vulgar
    • Retiring the jersey of "Manny", Ray Romano's character in "Ice Age"
    • Halftime of homecoming game will feature "Red Panda"
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/06/2019 at 04:00 PM

23 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

No doubt UNDFan will somehow link this move to North Dakota hockey and/or football.

You would think at some point the Horizon League would be embarrassed to have poached the Mid-Con/Summit so many times, or that the Summit League would sue, or something.  How many times has this happened over the years:  six?  eight?

In ORU's time alone in the Mid-Con and Summit, we've seen the following schools bolt for the Horizon:

• Youngstown State
  • Valpo
  • Oakland
  • IUPUI
  • IPFW (allegedly)

Of course, one irony in this whole thing is that ORU was a founding member of the Midwestern City Conference in 1979, which then became the Midwestern Collegiate Conference in 1985, and finally the Horizon League in 2001.  ORU dropped out in 1987, right before the plunge into NAIA status to avoid NCAA sanctions.

On a serious note:  this spells trouble for the Summit League automatic bid in baseball.  Incoming member UMKC does not play the sport; doubt they would be willing to add it after just dropping a sport like tennis that has a fraction of the budget as baseball.

Got to find a school who could/would join as at least an affiliate member in baseball, within a season or two...

1 minute ago, ORUTerry said:

Grand Canyon....

Interesting, controversial school and program:  ORU v2.0

9 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

On a serious note:  this spells trouble for the automatic bid in baseball.  Incoming member UMKC does not play the sport; doubt they would be willing to add it after just dropping a sport like tennis that has a fraction of the budget as baseball.

Got to find a school who would join as at least an affiliate member in baseball, within a season or two...

Don't worry OT, The Summit will find another team from the Dakota's to replace them. Grand Canyon sounds terrific addition with baseball.Thinking Face on emojidex 1.0.34

I’m only dreaming. The Dakota schools have voted them down previously. Probably why Ft. Wayne left

1 minute ago, ORU GRAD said:

Don't worry OT, The Summit will find another team from the Dakota's to replace them. Grand Canyon sounds terrific addition with baseball.

BUT WHAT ABOUT THE HOCKEY??  lol

The rumor is that Augustana (currently D2) will join and will bring the Summit back up to 6 for baseball.

Denver needs a travel partner and it makes so much sense for Grand Canyon. Augustana? Sorry, I don't buy it to maintain a good league. We now will have a travel partner with UMKC. I see Western as the next exit.

2 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Has this league lost its mind? Augustana instead of Grand Canyon?

I'm assuming that this is a rhetorical question about losing one's mind.  🙄

Grand Canyon and also go after New Mexico State.  That would be 2 great additions, especially if PFW bolts and Western follows their lead.  I hope our Prez along with others would veto any vote about Augustana joining.

Folks up in that area say Augustana has a sugar daddy booster; and the Summit League has always valued profit over competition, particularly when it comes to their love affair with Sioux Falls. 

Accepting Augustana wouldn’t surprise me at all, but won’t IPFW be long gone before the Vikings are eligible as a D1 school?

So it's official - and beginning play in the Horizon NEXT YEAR:

Summit League must act quickly on this one; a WAC school with baseball makes the most sense on such short notice.

My pick?  Northern Colorado:  though a Big Sky Conference member, they're an associate member with the WAC in baseball; maybe they could do the same with the Summit while remaining in the Big Sky?

Just have to wonder if they're interested...

• Upvote 1

• Grand Canyon
  • Northern Colorado
  • New Mexico St.

Veto ANY school not on this list.

But who are we kidding? Douple and the Dakota schools are probably looking forward to Western Dakota Tech joining. 🙄