Veterans leading the way for ORU this summer (FOX 23)

Dr. Cornelius

Veterans leading the way for ORU this summer

TULSA, Okla. - Despite two losing seasons Oral Roberts head coach, Paul Mills, is confident in the Golden Eagles this upcoming season. An early projection has ORU finishing second in the Summit League conference.

“Well it's one poll,” Mills said. “The other polls may come out and have something different. But, I think the guys have expectations and because they have expectations that's not anything we're trying to shy away from.”

It's easy to see why ORU has some eyes on them this season by just looking at the roster. They aren't lacking veterans on this team. ORU brings back with guys like now seniors, forward Emmanuel Nzekwesi and guard Sam Kerns who were key last season.

“The best teams in the league the past few years have been senior lead teams,” Kerns said. “Now we're finally senior heavy and upperclassman heavy is a great feeling because we have a lot of guys who have been there with a lot of experience, and we know how to win.”

Not only the roster, but it's also year three with Mills running the show. As the head coach says that plays a lot into it as well.

“They're used to me now. Not only am I used to them, but they're also used to me. They understand the expectations, and I think all of that aids in competing for a conference championship,” Mills said.

These guys are all in. Despite the last two losing seasons, they haven't quit fighting.

“Resilient. That's something we talk about a lot is being resilient. So that's something I like to associate us with,” Kerns said.

We'll see how just how resilient they'll be as the season gets underway this fall.

I see Kearns, Nzekwesi, Obanor, Saunders, Weaver, Abmas, Burns...

Was that RJ Fuqua I saw bury that corner three near the end?  If so, it's great to see him back on the floor.

But, a little disconcerting to not see either of the Balkan Boys in that video; here's hoping they'll be on campus by August or so.

Just now, Old Titan said:

Was that RJ Fuqua I saw bury that corner three near the end?

If so, it's great to see him back on the floor!

I couldn't tell but that's what I thought... it just went by too quick.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I couldn't tell but that's what I thought... it just went by too quick.

Pretty sure that was him; I've been watching that corkscrew wind-up on his jumper since he was in grade school.

The thick guy going one-on-one w/ Obanor at 1:10 could be Lufile.

vlcsnap-2019-07-09-09h24m45s994.thumb.png.11074196bcce44ac487c1eb230f9e4ff.png

• Upvote 1

That appears to be a very big man.   BTW, thanks for posting the video so that all of us who do not reside in the Tulsa Metroplex can get a chance to watch our boys, even if it is a mid-summer practice.    That video has my juices flowing.  Go Golden Eagles!

Great stuff for July! Definitely gets me pumped for October. For those in the Tulsa area, just curious if Fox 23 has recently done something similar for the upcoming Tulsa team? or if not, do you think they will?

Just wondering how it works, if one school gets coverage, so must the other? Especially for basketball coverage in July. Or maybe its just that this upcoming ORU team really has high expectations and the media is acknowledging that.

Some good looking gear in that video. Wonder what would happen if they had quality gear like that available for us fans. 🤨

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

Great stuff for July! Definitely gets me pumped for October. For those in the Tulsa area, just curious if Fox 23 has recently done something similar for the upcoming Tulsa team? or if not, do you think they will?

Just wondering how it works, if one school gets coverage, so must the other? Especially for basketball coverage in July. Or maybe its just that this upcoming ORU team really has high expectations and the media is acknowledging that.

Nah, it's just the dog days of summer, before college football practices start.  The local stations are starved for video.

Last week, they were all covering performance tricycle races downtown like it was the Tour de France.

Big XII Football Media Days are next week in Arlington (TX); after that you may not see additional ORU basketball footage until ORU's Media Day in October.

4 hours ago, ORUalum said:

The thick guy going one-on-one w/ Obanor at 1:10 could be Lufile.

If so, that could be - literally and figuratively - some big news.

Keep in mind, since his "commitment" (via his brother's Twitter account in June) was after the deadline of the spring signing period, ORU can't announce anything officially until school starts, if they choose to at all.

I saw at least 10 players out there. The two Euro's missing and ? Was the Senior from OU there, I could not tell? Second in the Summit League? Were did that poll come from? Yes, something to talk about this summer. Eman looks healthy again. 

image.jpeg

Another thing "missing" from that video is the new scoreboard, but I've been assured today that "it will be up-and-working in time for the first game".

Looking forward to seeing it!

On 7/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, Old Titan said:

But, a little disconcerting to not see either of the Balkan Boys in that video; here's hoping they'll be on campus by August or so. 

Losing Lacis would be pretty big. Francis was one of ORU's best perimeter defenders for most of last season.

I'm guessing Lacis will be back.  I remember seeing one of the coaches tweeted about him competing in a FIBA 3-on-3 tournament for his country.

_____

More Zapruder on the Fox clip......Kylen Milton w/the ball here?

vlcsnap-2019-07-10-13h07m48s076.thumb.png.03b067fd521dbe60012dd193a21860a4.png

On 7/9/2019 at 8:37 AM, Old Titan said:

They both are from countries a bit north of the Balkans - in the Baltic region.... 😀

(I know OT knows the difference. He was thinking of Ahmedic)

Francis has had a busy summer playing for the Latvian Under-20 national team.

Kind of a double-edge sword:  great experience, but let's hope he doesn't earn too much notice from Euroleague scouts, who no doubt scour these events looking for talent.