2021 Offers

ORUTexan

• 2 months later...

How does that work when we put so many offers out?  What if we get too many accepting?

I suspect that it is ‘first come, first served’, along with selectivity regarding who we accept. Not every player who says they have been offered has actually received an offer. 

There are so many moving parts this year with the amount of transfers, that players need to move/sign quickly and not wait - because they could be left out. It will be interesting to see what happens over the next week or two. 

It's unbelievable how much the recruiting pool for ORU has changed since the tournament...Seems like a lot of the higher level recruits now consider ORU a real option. The kids who were offered last year are thinking maybe I should've signed. Schools always over recruit knowing they only have three or four scholarships available.  

Three real variables now: The national exposure of beating Ohio State, Florida and almost getting to the Elite Eight.(Playing with and beating Power Five teams) Coach Mills contract extension and how well he represented the Lord, the university and the team during his press conferences. Also his contract extension which tells recruits and parents he is staying, building and is producing professional caliber players. We were all wondering where this was going four months ago, now we have our answers. 

And it Feels SO GOOD!

ELROY

Jalen Ricks would be a huge pick up for Coach Mills.  He played at one of the best high schools in the country and Arkansas has been recuriting him very heavily.  If he came to the Eagles then maybe he would back up Kareem Thompson/Carlos Jurgens.  Ricks has great size and length for the 2/3 spot.  Hoping for the best!

It’s interesting, because it appears that we offered him in late January - much later than the rest of the schools. Coach Bozeman must have really forged a bond with him. 

Wait a minute...so you're telling me that he eliminated TU from his choices but kept ORU? 🤣😂😜👏😭😂🤣

20 hours ago, oruvoice said:

If he picks ORU over Arkansas and Oklahoma State, it won't be to sit behind Thompson and Jurgens. 

That is a good point ORU voice.  Maybe he would rather come to the Eagles and start instead of going to a Power 5 school, where he may have a hard time finding any playing time his freshman year.  Ricks said he wants to play the 2 position on offense and can float or play different places on defense.  So him and Max in the backcourt would be quite a dynamic duo!  

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone just set me straight so I don't get my hopes up .... Do we have any shot at signing Bryce Thompson? I'm guessing the Mabee Center memories + Phipps reunion is the best thing we have going for us (Sweet 16 run aside).

42 minutes ago, kkrajenka said:

Can someone just set me straight so I don't get my hopes up .... Do we have any shot at signing Bryce Thompson? I'm guessing the Mabee Center memories + Phipps reunion is the best thing we have going for us (Sweet 16 run aside).

No. I doubt it. Maybe OSU i think

I have heard second-hand, so take it for what it’s worth, that either Bryce or someone representing Bryce reached out to see if there would be any interest on ORU’s part, and following that conversation or conversations, it was decided it wasn’t a good fit.

My guess is Team Bryce might have wanted assurances that he would start at point guard and run the offense. I can only imagine that Coach Mills would not be willing to make any promises if that were the case. 

It’s a tricky proposition if that’s what Bryce is looking for:  OSU has a great backcourt returning in Issac Likekele and Avery Anderson III; you gonna sit one of them or go 3-guard-lineup with Thompson taking Cade Cunningham’s previous shots?

Some other coach’s problem, I guess - good luck with that...

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I have heard second-hand, so take it for what it’s worth, that either Bryce or someone representing Bryce reached out to see if there would be any interest on ORU’s part, and following that conversation or conversations, it was decided it wasn’t a good fit.

My guess is Team Bryce might have wanted assurances that he would start at point guard and run the offense. I can only imagine that Coach Mills would not be willing to make any promises if that were the case. 

It’s a tricky proposition if that’s what Bryce is looking for:  OSU has a great backcourt returning in Issac Likekele and Avery Anderson III; you gonna sit one of them or go 3-guard-lineup with Thompson taking Cade Cunningham’s previous shots?

Some other coach’s problem, I guess - good luck with that...

You really can't take the ball out of Max's hands. Bryce is a talented player but he's no Aßmas. Max is a top 5 PG in college basketball easily.

I think TU might be the local front runner since Bryce can step in there and run the entire show since there's really zero talent competition at guard. Of course then you're rolling the dice with Haith's coaching and development.

May be wrong but is today the last day for players to transfer (May 1st)?  Thought I read that somewhere. If that is correct then basically we are just waiting for Max and K.O. to decide if they are going pro.  Otherwise the roster would be set, unless someone graduated early today.  

26 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

May be wrong but is today the last day for players to transfer (May 1st)?  Thought I read that somewhere. If that is correct then basically we are just waiting for Max and K.O. to decide if they are going pro.  Otherwise the roster would be set, unless someone graduated early today.  

Graduation is actually fairly irrelevant these days, as everything is based upon eligibility remaining - and graduates can continue forward towards a Masters, if desired.

Graduating today: D'Mauria Jones, Kevin Obanor, Elijah Lufile

The new “automatic eligibility for transfers” rule from the NCAA sets the deadline for entering the transfer portal at May 1st for basketball, but due to COVID reasons the deadline this year has been extended to July 1st. 

As for turning pro, the NBA has set May 30th as the deadline for college and international players to declare their eligibility for the draft, and June 19th as the deadline for withdrawing if they change their minds. If they haven’t hired an agent, they are eligible to return to college play for the next year.