ORU favorites

Keenan Henderson

Wanted to ask a few oru 🏀favorite questions of the sports panel: who is your favorite oru player of all time and why? Favorite memory at an oru basketball game you went to and your favorite oru team of all time. Thanks for the input.

1. Clifford Crenshaw -- cool, smooth, never rattled     (Honorable mention -- Ralph Charles)
  2. Nate Binam's 3 to beat TU
  3. Self's NIT team

Favorite Players...1....Anthony Roberts; (best player in ORU history/totally fearless) 2...Eddie Woods clutch player/tough as nails/intimidator ; 3...Dominique Morrison (clutch shooter/the guy who wanted the ball at the end of the game; also seemed like a great guy).

Best Memory at an ORU game:  ORU beating Louisville, 93-90 in 1974 Midwest Regional Semifinal; Arnold Dugger hitting a buzzer basket at MSG to beat Memphis 97-95 in first round NIT 1975

Favorite Team....1973-74 NCAA Elite 8 team.....could have/should have won the entire thing....😧

1) Caleb Green

2) Sitting courtside at TU as Obi Emegano hits a go ahead pull-up jumper as every grumpy old TU fan lost their mind. 

3) 2007-2008

1. Caleb Green because of his dominance in the paint.  Also liked Brandon Conley a lot because of his passion and at 6'6 often played the 4 or 5 with a lot of guts. 

2. One of my first games at the Mabee was in 2002 as they took on Arkansas. Arkansas had been my favorite team but it was still fun watching or u beat them.

3. My last year as a student was 2004-2005 when they won 25 games and had a heck of a team. Larry Owens was such a gifted athlete and of course Green and Ken t. We're all stars.

Appreciate what you younger guys are saying...that's all you know....but you should have been at Mabee in the early to mid 70s when ORU was a national power and in the Top 20....and there were 8-10,000 fans in the building every night...it was electric.....Fuqua, Woods, Roberts, Vaughn, Boswell, McCants, Scott, Baker, etc.....we were good....real good....if we had had a coach who cared a lick about defense we might have been in multiple Final Fours and won an NCAA Title....hard to believe but true.....we were THAT good...could score 90+ just about every night but just not disciplined on D which was a problem against a really tough opponent especially on the road....most good teams wouldn't come to Mabee Center to play us....I give Wisconsin credit for coming for the 1972 opener....UCLA avoided us despite Oral begging them to come....at least that was what I heard........:tb-blue:

1. Hard to choose a player other than Green but I have to go with DoMo. Morrison was fearless and a guy who could ABSOLUTELY get you a bucket during crunch time from anywhere on the floor.

2. The 2006 Mid-Con championship game versus Chicago St. ORU was losing at halftime but Larry Owens came out and dominated on both end of the floor leading ORU to the NCAA tournament. There must have been 6-8 straight possessions where Larry scored and had a deflection/block/steal on the defensive end.

3. 2004-05 (In my opinion the most talented ORU team in recent memory) or 2009-10 (Team that beat Stanford, Missouri, & Top 25 New Mexico)

1.  Anthony Roberts, as seen through the eyes of a 15-year-old fan. Here he is dropping an NIT-record 65 points vs. Oregon at the Mabee Center in 1977 - WITHOUT A THREE-POINT LINE.

2.  The 2006 upset of 3rd-ranked Kansas in Lawrence, along with about 50 other ORU fans up in the nosebleed section of Phogg Allen Fieldhouse. The charter bus actually broke down up around Collinsville and delayed the trip until a replacement could arrive, getting us all there just before tip-off. What a crazy, fun night - “Marchello Vealy for three!”

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/16/sports/ncaabasketball/16hoops.html

3.  The ‘74 Elite Eight team. I remember sitting on the bench at The Drum in Denton, TX for the NCAA first-round win over Syracuse, the racehorse victory over Denny Crum’s Louisville Cardinals in the Sweet Sixteen at a sold-out Mabee Center, and the heartbreaking collapse and overtime loss against Kansas a couple of days later. Came within a whisker of the Final Four!

https://www.tulsaworld.com/sports/college/oru/bill-haisten-kansas-oru-classic-still-the-most-important-game/article_69a79e09-4f15-59c7-a63f-51744337db1c.html

I was sitting in the KU student section during number two. They were gracious to me throughout what was a frustrating night for them. I repaid them with a subdued celebration throughout the game. Partly because I didn’t want to get jumped, and partly because I was waiting for the refs to find a way to give them the game. Vealy was the X factor nobody was ready for. Caleb was unguardable all night and Ken did what all great shooter do, keep shooting!