OSU, TU Host Basketball Showdown at BOK

Old Titan

TheEagleman saw your headline and was half hoping that ORU would be involved.....looks like we ain't.....Golden Eagles now an afterthought when it comes to Oklahoma basketball.....😥

I realize that a lot of my posts lately re: men's basketball have been pretty cynical, but it's with a point:  can anyone recall a time like the past year or two where there was LESS buzz about ORU Basketball than where we currently find ourselves?

Anyone care to predict what the "Next Big News" out of the program might be, and when? 

• A four-star signing? 
  • A big-name school coming to the Mabee Center this season?
  • A prominent mention of the program and/or a player or coach, in a national basketball publication?
  • A multi-game winning streak at some point this coming season?

...anything??

Will Colorado St. and Minnesota be enough to draw apathetic sports fans in Tulsa? The All College used to get big national names.

12 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

A prominent mention of the program and/or a player or coach, in a national basketball publication?

😀 The only national press ORU could receive right now wouldn't be the type we want. Winning fixes a lot of things - hopefully we start to see some noticeable improvement this fall.

58 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

The return of Kris Martin to Tulsa.

You are of course referring to Kris Martin playing as a 5th-year senior for Colorado State vs. TU.

Not a "Next Big News" prediction that he's returning to ORU.

Which, if true, might register somewhere in this neighborhood:     😉

spacer.png

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2019 at 10:59 AM, Old Titan said:

I realize that a lot of my posts lately re: men's basketball have been pretty cynical  

Lately?!200.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

It has been a really tough time in ORU basketball the last four years.  The hope is that this year can be better because ORU has most of last year's team returning and RJ and some solid new guys.  Any one know anything about the guy from LA,  Jones? Cannot remember ORU ever having any players from Los Angeles.  Who remembers getting any players from LA? He must have played against some good completion and should be ready to help out.

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Who remembers getting any players from LA?

I know Mark Acres (6' 11" McDonald's All-American) was from LA (Torrance / Palos Verdes Estates) but that was before my time ('81-'85). I can't remember any Californians recently.

Some Cali kids from the rosters posted on ORUathletics (since 2002 - 03)

• Curtin Allen - Long Beach
  • Marcus Lewis - Long Beach
  • Reggie Borges - Leemoore
  • Andre Hardy - San Diego
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, GoldenEagleFan said:

Lately?!200.gif

LOL - says the “Golden Eagle fan” who just joined the fray a year ago.

I guessing I have ORU polos older than you; I definitely know I have years worth of sunshine-pumping posts that stretch back to the Millenium.

You should hear me when the team is WINNING 20 games a year instead of losing that many; I’m a freaking pom-pom girl.

Here’s hoping we’re both still around if/when that happens again.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I know Mark Acres (6' 11" McDonald's All-American) was from LA (Torrance / Palos Verdes Estates) but that was before my time ('81-'85). I can't remember any Californians recently.

Sam potter jeff acres kip brown mark wilson

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Some Cali kids from the rosters posted on ORUathletics (since 2002 - 03)

• Curtin Allen - Long Beach
  • Marcus Lewis - Long Beach
  • Reggie Borges - Leemoore
  • Andre Hardy - San Diego

When Dick Acres was on the staff in the early 80’s, ORU had a bunch of good players from California.

In addition to his two sons, Jeff and Mark, there was Sam Potter, Charles Dorsey, Mark Wilson,  to name a couple.

That pipeline shut down when Acres got fired.