W. Illinois at ORU

theeagleman5

It’s not just the ERA; it’s the defense as well.

Friday’s loss at SDSU was a perfect example:  McMinn started to falter in the bottom of the seventh, but the killer was two errors with runners on base that turned a 4-1 lead into a tie game. 

Shaky pitching and porous fielding:  not a good combination. 

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2019 at 10:05 AM, Old Titan said:

Wes Davis (former ORU catcher and current pitching coach) is a GREAT guy, and does a LOT of things for this program on and off the field, but the numbers don't lie:  I think a true pitching coach is sorely needed.

In all my years of posting on the ORU message board, I’m not sure I’ve ever posted anything that I have in hind sight regretted more than this little diatribe from earlier in this thread. 

And, I’m not even sure why it bothered me so much after saying it.  I know I’ve posted worse things, meaner things, more irresponsible things, before.  Many times, in fact!  LOL

After further review, i think what bugs me is that it’s simply unfair, stating that ORU needs a “true pitching coach”, implying that Coach Davis isn’t one. 

Which was based on the notion that Coach Davis was a stop-gap measure for the position when Coach Snedeker left so abruptly, and that he did not have the qualifications to serve in that role, because as I erroneously pointed out, “he was a catcher”.

Truth be told, I have no idea what Coach Davis’ bona fides were to make him the choice for ORU’s pitching coach, but it shouldn’t have anything to do with whether or not he was a pitcher himself during his playing days (which it turns out, he was - in addition to being a utility player in the field).

I’m sure Coach Davis got the nod because Coach Folmar thought he was the best choice.  And I’m sure he’s held to the same standard any coach in his position would be when it comes to results.

The bottom line is, I trust Coach Folmar, and I trust his decision-making when it comes to personnel, on the field and in the dugout.  I feel confident he will make strides this off-season to right the ship, whether that involves staff changes or not.