2019 - 2020 Schedule

ORUalum

Xavier had all 5 starters suspended for fighting in the Cincy game a week earlier. ORU went up there and whipped X's subs on National TV  by 20+ in a game that wasnt even that close. DoMo had a big game as I recall....2011 was the year we were 27-6 or something and got upset by WIU in the opening round of the Summit Tourney and were the final team left out of an NCAA at large bid...that was a real good team....😬

19 hours ago, ORU82 said:

The X game was sandwiched between Gonzaga a few days earlier in Spokane, Washington and Texas Tech in Mabee a few days later.  What a schedule!

This ^^^^^

I can appreciate scheduling the Haskell Colleges of the world at home during the non-conference schedule, but I do miss the big “guarantee” games on the road vs. the Power 5’s.

One or two a year is not enough; four would be great, maybe even five.

Those guarantee games are great but the problem is we have to be competitive....a decade or more ago we were that and many times could win....the history above proves that out.....not much enjoyment if ORU goes in and gets beat by 30 or 40 like we did at Penn State and OSU a couple years ago.....I think this ORU team if healthy can compete at OSU, BYU, WSU and Iowa.....we should have enough talent not to be embarrassed in those games.....but highly doubtful we can win.....wouldn't it be fun to watch the Good Guys stun Scott Sutton and the Pokes at Stillwater?....TheEagleman can dream, can't he?....😍

• Upvote 1

Yes, but to further make my point (imagine me trying to do that 😉) - despite the suspensions, Xavier was still ranked in the Top 25, so the highlights were all over ESPN that night. 

Though Xavier is sort of an outlier to this point, that’s one of the cool things about playing the big boys:  if they’re ranked, the game highlights will always be shown again and again nationally afterward.  It’s ORU’s chance for a little coast-to-coast exposure; and barring a 40-point blowout, that kind of publicity is always a good thing, if for no other reason than it shows ORU is not afraid to play anybody.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Yes, but to further make my point (imagine me trying to do that 😉) - despite the suspensions, Xavier was still ranked in the Top 25, so the highlights were all over ESPN that night. 

Though Xavier is sort of an outlier to this point, that’s one of the cool things about playing the big boys:  if they’re ranked, the game highlights will always be shown again and again nationally afterward.  It’s ORU’s chance for a little coast-to-coast exposure; and barring a 40-point blowout, that kind of publicity is always a good thing, if for no other reason than it shows ORU is not afraid to play anybody.

Those games were great because we were competitive and this is how Gonzaga got started playing all over the place however, they did it over several years. We need to think about four or five big games a year to get ORU back on the map. I do believe our recruiting is better and we have good athletes now and good recruits upcoming in 2020.  This 2019 season should be better than the past two years and maybe Coach Mills, staff and team will get ORU some notoriety. Our first goal should be this year is to be competitive in the conference and maybe even make some noise. Baring injuries, we will be competitive if we get the senior leadership and coaching. 

• Upvote 1

Back before the internet and cable TV, the New York (and other East Coast metro) media outlets set the tone for college basketball publicity, rankings, etc.

Oral Roberts and Ken Trickey had the brilliant idea that ORU should play at least one game a season in New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. so that those East Coast sportswriters could see that Richard Fuqua, Eddie Woods, etc. were for real. Even if the opponent was Hofstra instead of St. John’s, the ultimate goal was to play in Madison Square Garden, which they managed to do two or three times. 

This “passing the eye test” exposure was instrumental to the national publicity ORU received in the late 60’s and early 70’s when the program needed it so much, culminating one year in a preseason top-5 ranking from Sports Illustrated. 

https://www.si.com/vault/1970/11/30/611872/oral-roberts-small-but-oh-my

Just now, Old Titan said:

Back before the internet and cable TV, the New York (and other East Coast metro) media outlets set the tone for college basketball publicity, rankings, etc.

Oral Roberts and Ken Trickey has the brilliant idea that ORU should play at least one game a season in New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, etc. so that those East Coast guys could see that Richard Fuqua, Sam McCants, etc. we’re for real. Even if the opponent was Hofstra instead of St. John’s, the ultimate disk was to get a game in Madison Square Garden, which they managed two or three times. 

That “passing the eye test” exposure was instrumental to the national publicity ORU received in the late 60’s and early 70’s, culminating one year in a preseason top-5 ranking from Sports Illustrated. 

This is probably still a good media strategy.

What a team....Fuqua...Boswell....Woods.... McDougald...Vaughn...Baker....Fox...that was quite a team....7-0 David Vaughn one of the top centers is the nation...too bad he had a 10 cent brain....😬

Not to change the subject, since it still has to do with the schedule. Did anyone hear how the game went yesterday with UMKC? 

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Not to change the subject, since it still has to do with the schedule. Did anyone hear how the game went yesterday with UMKC? 

I was hoping someone connected with the team might report in - anyone?