2019 - 2020 Schedule

ORUalum

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Ut Arlington is a game oru could win, which would put them at 7-6 in non conference.  Byu will be good this year because their big man came back instead of going pro. Thought a team could only schedule two non d1 schools a year. Did that rule change?

UTA has won 20+ games the past three years, though they inexplicably lost coach Scott Cross to Troy following the end of this season.

They are typically very athletic, and traditionally play way over their heads at home vs. comparable opponents such as ORU.  Mavs star Kevin Hervey was a 2nd-round NBA draft pick by Oklahoma City last month, and led the Thunder in scoring a couple of weeks ago in the Las Vegas summer league.

If the Golden Eagles win in Arlington it would be a stunning development; I'll be surprised if it's under 10-points with ten minutes to go.

As for the non-D1 games, I just realized Central Arkansas is an EXHIBITION game, which is bizarre.  I think you're right:  one of those games against Rogers State, Southwest Christian, and Central Oklahoma may have to count as a second exhibition game.

A total of 10 non-conference games vs. D1 competition, and only two of those vs. Power 5 schools.  We used to make fun of the Dakota schools for playing schedules like this, but in their defense, they were transitioning to D1 from D2 and had to take what they could get.

What's ORU excuse, other than desperation to finish at least .500 for the year vs. all opponents?

1 hour ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Ut Arlington is a game oru could win, which would put them at 7-6 in non conference.  Byu will be good this year because their big man came back instead of going pro. Thought a team could only schedule two non d1 schools a year. Did that rule change?

just guessing that since they are not in an exempt tournament, they may be allowed an extra non-d1 game

47 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I missed this yesterday looking at the schedule.........Dec 14th -- Tom Hankins return to Mabee Center

And, unlike annually charitable Justin Barkley at Rogers State, I don't think Hank will let off the gas if he has a chance to win the game late.

If that game had a Vegas line, I might put ORU as a 2-to-3-point favorite.  UCO will have tough, physical guards who will more than compensate for any size disadvantage underneath.

Think Cal Baptist, v2.0.

The case for not playing in an exempt tournament:

• 18-19:  Oakland Hoops Challenge (1-2)
  • 17-18: Legends Classic (0-4)
  • 16-17: Paradise Jam (0-3)

Mills probably just trimmed 2 to 4 games off his loss total by skipping a multi-team event this year

Forgo a tournament and add an extra game or two to the home schedule against a non D1 or a team like HBU....this might be a very shrewd move

I don’t blame Coach Mills.  The win loss record is one of the key ways he is evaluated.  He needs to show improvement this year or he will definitely be on the hot seat.  He also will want the team to be able to build some confidence.

16 hours ago, ORUalum said:

The case for not playing in an exempt tournament:

• 18-19:  Oakland Hoops Challenge (1-2)
  • 17-18: Legends Classic (0-4)
  • 16-17: Paradise Jam (0-3)

Mills probably just trimmed 2 to 4 games off his loss total by skipping a multi-team event this year

Forgo a tournament and add an extra game or two to the home schedule against a non D1 or a team like HBU....this might be a very shrewd move

So this is what ORU basketball has fallen to?  Avoiding competition in the hopes of padding a rookie coach’s W-L record?

Whatever happened to “Anybody, Any Time, Anywhere?”

I know of one former athletic director who, when a coach who shall remain nameless tried a similar stunt, refused to sign the game contracts.  He said ORU’s mission, according to Oral Roberts, was to play the big-name schools in the big-time venues, in order to spread the word and build the brand.

If this is the new normal, then let’s just go back to NAIA status.  

What’s the point otherwise:  aspiring to acceptable mediocrity?

MAKE NO LITTLE PLANS SCHEDULES HERE.

Just throwing a few ideas around about the schedule.  Guessing that we signed a home and home for the next two years with Houston Baptist and UT Arlington.  It makes sense because ORU is recruiting those areas pretty heavily.  Since ORU is playing BYU and Wichita State back to back on the road for the last two years any chance that maybe one of those teams would come to the Mabee Center for one game in the future?  Maybe wishful thinking?  Also, with Missouri Kansas City rejoining the league next year, my guess is that ORU will be playing 18 league games so that means even less non-conference games in the future.  Someone mentioned that earlier that most leagues are going to 18-20 game schedules so it seems that the NCAA is slowing getting rid of most of the non-conference schedule.  Most teams just want to focus on conference games because that determines your seed in the tournament and of course that in turn helps you win the tournament thus advancing to the Big Dance.  Any thoughts?

• Like 1

This is, without question, the worst overall schedule and (especially) home schedule that I can remember.  But, I would caution the jumping to the final conclusion that this schedule was drafted in order to have more wins and fewer losses, solely due to a coaching staff in job protection mode.  

Preparing and finalizing a schedule is a significant challenge, balancing many aspects including financial, logistics, recruiting, etc. and many factors out of our control.  Often, a planned game or tourney falls through in the eleventh hour, and there is a mad scramble to fill out the schedule as best as is possible at the time. 

I am disappointed with what we have before us, but it is what it is.  While it is fair to speculate the “why” behind the schedule, I think it is short-sided to come to a certain conclusion.  It is simply not that black and white.  

That said, we CAN definitely conclude that it is not a very exciting schedule, and brutal for season ticket marketers.  

Personally, with how the past almost decade has gone I’m not opposed to scheduling ANYONE if it means a win.

The ultimate program goal should be “anyone, anytime, anywhere” but that has to be balanced with building towards the conference season. So often ORU limps into Summit League play beaten down and spends weeks trying to build back confidence.

Is this the right scheduling philosophy? Who knows. There sure is a lot less room for error though.

4 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

Since ORU is playing BYU and Wichita State back to back on the road for the last two years any chance that maybe one of those teams would come to the Mabee Center for one game in the future?  Maybe wishful thinking?

I hadn't thought of this. It's not out of the realm of possibility that Wichita would give us a 2-for-1... Mills appears to be somewhat close with Marshall (the previous two seasons ORU and WSU have had closed pre-season scrimmages).

Back when Scott Sutton was playing nothing but big boys (presumably for the payouts), I was beating the drum for one or two cupcakes at home, just for the reasons Doc Cornelius mentioned above:  a physical and psychological break from the constant drubbings on the road.

But, this schedule is swinging WAY too far in the opposite direction, as last year suggests:  beating the Southwest Christians of the world by 40 points ultimately had no bearing whatsoever on ORU's eventual 20-loss season, and I can assure you it won't help this year's team one bit, either.

Which may explain why Nike doesn't make any t-shirts that say "CUPCAKES SHARPEN IRON" 😉

Iron Sharpens Iron.jpeg

OT stated, "Which may explain why Nike doesn't make any t-shirts that say "CUPCAKES SHARPEN IRON" 😉

I am looking at the schedule and I see the Home Schedule non-conference is lacking but a  decent array of good competition on the road with some great opportunities. We should be better this year with Kerns, Nzekwesi, Lacis, Weaver, Obanor, Jones, Fuqua, Saunders, and Jurgens returning along with some added new recruits. I do see some Iron Sharpening Iron games in this upcoming season. I would have liked to have seen a better home game schedule and not sure why we can't seem to bring this about in the past four or five years. Surely there are D1 teams that are like us and willing to play home and away games. I would love to schedule some Missouri Valley teams such as my neighborhood which I both attended Indiana State and Evansville. We still have a good conference schedule with great competition and some nice home games. As a graduate of ORU grad school, I love the University and am excited about all the new buildings and growth on campus and our online program advancing. It is so much better than when I was on campus in the 90's. 

1. Oklahoma State- 7 new recruits and a good opener to see where we are this year.

2. Tulsa- Possibly not as good as last year Good Competition

3. Iowa- Couple 6' 11" with good Freshman - Excellent Iron Sharpens Iron

4. Wichita State- Good returning squad - Excellent Iron Sharpens Iron

5. Creighton -20-15 Last year NIT quarter finals - Excellent Iron Sharpens Iron

6. Missouri State- Great Opportunity at Home but Excellent Competition

7. UT Arlington -Good Competition and Toss Up

8.Chicago State - Great Opportunity for a win

9. Brigham Young- Excellent team and Iron Sharpens Iron

I just like to see the glass half full! Go Eagles!!!

ORU GRAD

Away schedule is very good....no complaints from TheEagleman…..home schedule not so much.....Houston Baptist and Missouri State are decent matchups and games ORU can win.....the rest are dreck.....although the Hankins/UCO contest could be interesting.....if ORU stays healthy TheEagleman thinks we can have an above .500 record....:tb-blue:

You can't beat Kansas, Missouri, Texas Tech, Georgetown, etc. if you don't play them.

Two Power-5 opponents, out of 30 games on the schedule??

C'mon, man...

That televised win about 8-9 yrs ago vs. Top 15 New Mexico at Mabee Center was awesome too...remember watching with my son at home cheering on DoMo and the boys....those were the days....😁:tb-blue:😬

35 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

That televised win about 8-9 yrs ago vs. Top 15 New Mexico at Mabee Center was awesome too...remember watching with my son at home cheering on DoMo and the boys....those were the days....😁:tb-blue:😬

Yes, and we had about 5-8 k at the Mabee Center also. But, if I remember correctly, we did not win the tournament with 27 winning season record. and go to the dance. How does that happen? The last few years of Sutton were in a straight decline with average or below recruiting and decline in attendance. We are now at at an all time low of 2 k average in attendance. This goes to show with talent and wins, the atmosphere has an opportunity to change. I believe we are getting much better talent now in our recruiting and hope the Mabee Center will once again have better attendance. The women have a School day for the locals and maybe the men need to do the same? Just a thought. Where is Mike when we need him? 

11 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

Yes, and we had about 5-8 k at the Mabee Center also. But, if I remember correctly, we did not win the tournament with 27 winning season record. and go to the dance. How does that happen? The last few years of Sutton were in a straight decline with average or below recruiting and decline in attendance. We are now at at an all time low of 2 k average in attendance. This goes to show with talent and wins, the atmosphere has an opportunity to change. I believe we are getting much better talent now in our recruiting and hope the Mabee Center will once again have better attendance. The women have a School day for the locals and maybe the men need to do the same? Just a thought. Where is Mike when we need him? 

Its almost as if the decline coincided with the arrival of someone else......... 🤐