2019 - 2020 Schedule

ORUalum

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

here's a good link...still lots of slots open 

for example: Kentucky, Minnesota, St Mary's, and Rutgers have not announced the field of teams for the tournaments they are hosting.

https://www.bloggingthebracket.com/2018/10/24/18020280/2019-20-college-basketball-early-season-tournaments-events-mte-neutral-site-showcases-thanksgiving

TU is among a handful of Power 5 +1 (the AAC) schools not yet committed to a tournament, either. 

It's too bad the two city schools can't host a tournament anymore that would guarantee a crowd in Tulsa.

Back in the day, ORU and TU hosted the Oil Capital Classic at the Mabee Center, which featured teams such as Georgia with Dominique "The Human Highlight Reel" Wilkens, and defending national champion North Carolina with Sam Perkins, Brad Daughtery, and a talented young sophomore named Michael Jordan:

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/2005/1/24/Tulsa_Defeats_North_Carolina_in_1982_Oil_Capital_Classic.aspx

Tulsa is, however, hosting a one-night doubleheader with Oklahoma State at the BOK, playing Colorado State and Minnesota respectively.

It's a shame ORU couldn't muster something similar at the BOK, playing a somewhat-local Big XII or SEC school that recruits this area (Texas, Texas A&M, K-State, Missouri, etc.), with OU or Arkansas playing another mid-to-low major from within driving range (Wichita State, Missouri State, Louisiana Tech, etc.)  Virtually guaranteed wins for the two big schools, with good potential for fan representation from all four schools...

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Tulsa is, however, hosting a one-night doubleheader with Oklahoma State at the BOK, playing Colorado State and Minnesota respectively.

Honestly, besides diehard college hoop fans (and even then that may be a stretch) who is going to be excited to see Minnesota or Colorado St.?

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

It's a shame ORU couldn't muster something similar at the BOK, playing a somewhat-local Big XII or SEC school that recruits this area (Texas, Texas A&M, K-State, Missouri, etc.), with OU or Arkansas playing another mid-to-low major from within driving range (Wichita State, Missouri State, Louisiana Tech, etc.)  Virtually guaranteed wins for the two big schools, with good potential for fan representation from all four schools...

This is a MUCH better idea. I have to think the Tulsa Sports Commission attempted this first...

I wonder what the hold-up is on the conference office announcing the league schedule?  It is usually out by now.

Probably those prima donnas from UND holding things up with their hockey home dates!  LOL

10 hours ago, Old Titan said:

TU is among a handful of Power 5 +1 (the AAC) schools not yet committed to a tournament, either. 

It's too bad the two city schools can't host a tournament anymore that would guarantee a crowd in Tulsa.

Back in the day, ORU and TU hosted the Oil Capital Classic at the Mabee Center, which featured teams such as Georgia with Dominique "The Human Highlight Reel" Wilkens, and defending national champion North Carolina with Sam Perkins, Brad Daughtery, and a talented young sophomore named Michael Jordan:

https://tulsahurricane.com/news/2005/1/24/Tulsa_Defeats_North_Carolina_in_1982_Oil_Capital_Classic.aspx

I was at that game before going home for winter break only time i saw m j smooth he was.perkins was from our area albany n y tks for the memory

I'm being told it may be as late as August 1st before the league office releases the conference schedule; that's as late in the year as I ever remember them announcing it.

If last year is any indication, ORU's non-conference schedule may be announced before the conference games are; that's never happened before in the Mid-Con/Southland/Summit era.

So what, they wait until after the close of the news cycle on Friday night to roll out the schedule so that the media does not pick it up and they do not get instant blow-back?  Jk

looks like no exempt tournament

29 games total --- 13 non-conf and 16 conf 

I gotta say, I don’t find it to be a very exciting schedule. Especially the home games.

I hope ORU can get back to a point where they can get into some of the nicer holiday tournaments.

1 hour ago, ORUIllini said:

I gotta say, I don’t find it to be a very exciting schedule. Especially the home games.

Agreed. I understand that it’s very difficult to get good home games, but man it’s tough to see HBU be the highlight of your non-conference schedule. At least we’ve got a D1 homecoming this year. That should be a priority every year. At a MNIMUM.

Also, Tuesday night for the Mayors Cup? Those guys are the worst.

Now that the non conference schedule is out, how many wins will this team have with both the non and conference with 30 games played counting the October game? Is a 20 win season possible?  ORU GRAD

Counting the exhibition, twenty would be a stretch.  Without the exhibition, I’d place the preliminary range at 13 to 19 wins.  But it’s still July with a LOT of roster question marks to be resolved. 

What started out as a promising schedule earlier this year (with the announcement of the OSU game and the tournament with Cal), has since fizzled into a hot mess with no exempt tournament at all.

Unless a tournament is added soon that includes a couple of neutral-court match-ups vs. low-to-mid-majors, this is easily one of the worst schedules ORU has had in a while, particularly at home. 

The only thing worse than losing by 30+ at places like Michigan State, Louisville or (in this year's case ) Iowa might be losing by 20+ at powerful mid-majors like Wichita State, Creighton and BYU whose home-court advantages are every bit as intimidating (more?) than the elite schools. 

Might as well go for the bigger paycheck and NET Ranking bump by playing at the big boys house, instead of getting stomped by their red-headed step-brother for less money and prestige.  That's why it would be nice to instead have a couple of neutral site games vs. their ilk; with a better chance to steal a win.

Bottom line:  disregarding the non-D1 games, I only see four* three games where ORU has a legitimate chance to win:  Houston Baptist and Missouri State at home; Central Arkansas* and Chicago State on the road.  And, ORU is certainly no lock in ANY of those games; would be particularly surprised to see wins in both of those road games*.

Probably looking at a record of around 3-8* 2-8 vs. D1 teams heading into conference play, with an amemic NET Ranking hovering around 300...

* Edited once I learned that Central Arkansas is a charity exhibition game that will not count in the record.

• Upvote 1

Those power conference buy games are only going to get harder to schedule if not a complete thing of the past. The Big 10 goes to 20 league games this season and the ACC does so in 20-21.

Yep....this is the worst non conference schedule since the NAIA days.....just pathetic and uninteresting....I feel bad for the ORU season ticket holders who have to endure watching all those non D-1 games.....very discouraging to see the direction this program is headed the past 5-6 years.....almost becoming unwatchable...but that being said....ORU if healthy should have a better team this year.....at least TheEagleman is hopeful...if we can't finish above .500 with this schedule then I don't know what to say......😬

This season is all about a winning record.  That is my take after looking at this home schedule of non conference. Mills is banking on the conference with at least 10 plus wins and an 18 win overall season. That is my take and I have to say in his defense, he should be trying to have a good positive season and although the home schedule is bad, he is playing some excellent teams in the non conference schedule to prepare the team for the conference and tournament. We have good talent returning and some replacement pieces to assist the overall condition of the squad. I believe Lacis will be a big part of the team but unsure of Jurgens because he did not play a minute in the final tournament game of the season.  I thought that was odd at the time but if he is back, then we still are over the 13 scholarships. If we only win 3 D1 games in the non conference OT, as last year, then we are in for a long year. ORU GRAD

Ut Arlington is a game oru could win, which would put them at 7-6 in non conference.  Byu will be good this year because their big man came back instead of going pro. Thought a team could only schedule two non d1 schools a year. Did that rule change?

• Upvote 1