So. Dakota St. at ORU

theeagleman5

Big series at JLJ this weekend between most likely the two best teams in the Summit League....the Jacks come in at 9-9 (2-1) while ORU is 9-9 (3-0)....this is a must win series for ORU....at least 2 of 3.....GO BLUE!!!   :tb-white:

Completely agree Eagleman.  It is time for the Golden Eagles to step up to the plate and win the series.  This weekend should tell us where we are as a program.  We are now in Summit League play. 

11 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Anyone know why the game is not on ESPN+ as advertised on ORU Athletics homepage?

McMinn really battled back there in the eighth. I doubt they run him out there for the ninth.  Strong outing.

Poor coaching there by Davis and Folmar --- they rollout McMinn for the 9th against SDSU's 3-4-5 hole hitters and he promptly gives up a lead off single.  McMinn worked out of major jams in the 7th and 8th....you gotta let the closer start the ninth.  We'll see if Wolf can close this one out

EDIT:

Wolf gets the save....ORU takes game 1

• Brown singled down the rf line (1-1 BK).

T. Wolf to p for J. McMinn.

Falk struck out swinging (2-2 BSSBS).

Holtz struck out swinging (0-2 SKS).

Badger lined out to rf (0-1 S).

• Like 1

Big win for ORU....first shutout in over a year, 1-0...agree McMinn should have been done after 8....Hunter with the game winning RBI and Wolf a big save....two more to go....:tb-blue:

Ouch....tough 2-1 loss today.....where are the bats at home???....🤔

Spencer Henson took a tumble into the ORU dugout trying to field a foul ball early in Saturday's contest.  He left the game and is not in today's line-up.

Anyone have a report on the seriousness of his injury?

Very unimpressive weekend.  This team has a long way to go.  The program is not what it use to be.

Very sad...dropping a home series to the Jacks, 9-8...and after winning the opener....ORU baseball may not be dominant in the Summit this season.......😪

8 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Spencer Henson took a tumble into the ORU dugout trying to field a foul ball early in Saturday's contest.  He left the game and is not in today's line-up.

Anyone have a report on the seriousness of his injury?

He has a concussion.  Hopefully he won't be out too long.  We needed one more bat today.

15 hours ago, ORU82 said:

Very unimpressive weekend.  This team has a long way to go.  The program is not what it use to be.

Because of the huge advantages ORU had in baseball, it has taken longer for the reality of the overall decline in ORU Athletics to hit baseball.  We will see where things end up, but right now SDSU looked like the better team.  ORU has not even been competitive in any of the midweek games...thank goodness a few got rained out to save another couple of L's.

Perhaps missing a regional will wake some people up. 

Having said that all that, I hope this looks like a sky is falling post in a month or so and ORU is clicking on all cylinders heading to a regional with a chance to make some noise.

• Upvote 1

Guys, saying things like “the program is not what it used to be” and “the overall decline of ORU Athletics has hit baseball” is really mashing the panic button, don’t you think?

It's called a "rebuilding year", for crying out loud.  There are a lot of new, young players on the team, both on the mound and at the plate.  But it’s not like there’s no talent there (unlike the issues affecting some other sports at ORU right now).

Just give them a chance - it still hasn’t been the 25-to-30 games that Ryan Folmar said it might take to figure things out. 

(And while I’m writing this, newcomer Hunter Swift just drives in newcomer Issac Coffey for the game-winning run in the bottom of the 10th vs. UALR - winning cures all ills!!)

9 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Guys, saying things like “the program is not what it used to be” and “the overall decline of ORU Athletics has hit baseball” is really mashing the panic button, don’t you think?

It’s called “a rebuilding year”, for crying out loud.  There are a lot of new, young players on the team, both on the mound and at the plate.  But it’s not like there’s no talent there (unlike the issues affecting some other sports at ORU right now).

Just give them a chance - it still hasn’t been the 25-to-30 games that Ryan Folmar said it might take to figure things out. 

(And while I’m writing this, newcomer Hunter Swift just drives in newcomer Issac Coffey for the game-winning run in the bottom of the 10th vs. UALR - winning cures all ills!!)

For the most part, I agree. We've had some *stronger* seasons for the last couple of years and lost a lot of those guys. So it's fair to call this a rebuilding year and assume we'll be better next year. But I also think it's fair to say that the baseball program has not performed to expectations considering our investment. When was the last time we had a Win in the NCAA tournament, let alone a meaningful one? 

I was curious so I went and looked at our past records. We last won in the NCAA tournament in 2017, but this is our lone win in postseason play since we moved to the Southland after the 2012 season and missed the next two post seasons, which seems to me to be a disappointing record over the past 6 seasons. Obviously, just judging the past six seasons based on post season success is tough. We've had some great wins in the regular season in those six seasons, and I don't expect to make it to the CWS every year, but is it unrealistic to hope for some postseason success? Not a rhetorical question, I do not know how our baseball spend compares to the P5 or to mid-majors, though I have to assume it would be far better than most other mid majors. 

• Upvote 1