NCAA Tournament Bid Analysis

SpaceManSpiff

I was curious how much the NCAA relied on their new NET ranking system during the selection process. Thought I would post the results and get everyone's thoughts.

image.thumb.png.995124cecae1357f5acc3a60e7bd15c4.png

The lowest ranked at-large team is St. John's (NY) at a 73 NET ranking. There were several teams that were passed over for St. John's (NY) from a NET ranking perspective.

image.png.030ad054417259e330adced9a9e81150.png

Here is also a break down by conference on teams who 'missed out' by this logic.

image.png.8a33b9547d2fedf08dd961c69ee7880c.png

Sources:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-net-rankings (Published March 17, 2019) - NET rankings as of Selection Sunday

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-03-18/march-madness-2019-every-teams-seed-no-1-duke-no-68-nc-central (Published March 18, 2019) - Breaks down the overall seeding

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/2019-03-20/ncaa-bids-2019-bracket-march-madness (Published March 20, 2019) - Breaks down whether the bid was received at-large or automatic

• Like 1

NDSU vs. Duke tonight....the Bison only a 27 point dog.....O/U is 148.5......TheEagleman is thinking about a small play on NDSU and the Over just for the fun of it.....but the winning margin in this one will be whatever Duke wants it to be.....hoping that maybe Coach K will substitute liberally in the 2nd half and save his big boys for Sunday vs. VCU or UCF.......🤑

It looks like they generally followed the NET process while also taking into account recent games and the "eye test". I suspect that the committee was influenced by St. John's location (NYC) and the eyeballs they would attract. I also think that Chris Mullins still has cache. I am still not totally sold on this methodology, but it is an attempt by the selection committee to use a better analytical way to choose teams.

NDSU at the line for the lead at the under 4 TO in the 1st.....did not see this coming.

Why Duke is not pounding their bigs in the post every possession is head scratching.  Memo to Coach K, you've got the most dominating physical specimen in all of college basketball...unleash him on the blocks.

Duke is sleepwalking...need to start scoring some points...Coach K will lay into them at half....TheEagleman still thinks Blue Devils win by 20-25....Bison have shot poorly too...:NDSU:

Message received at the half.  Zion taking over wow!!!!  

Credit to the Bizun, they hung with Duke for 20 minutes.

NSDU and Over covers again....thank you Bison!:NDSU:

Really hoping Wofford knocks off UK today. Gives me hope that the mid major isn’t dead. Up by 5 with 10 minutes left in the first. 

• 3 weeks later...

Texas Tech and Mooney going to  Yes OT, championship game. Yes OT is right and defense does win championships. Auburn got the shaft. Shout out to the great voice of the Eagles Jeff and prior coach Sean Sutton. Also, Mooney was dynamite Saturday Night. ORU GRAD

TheEagleman can maybe get the foul call with 0.6 secs left in Virginia-Auburn...the Auburn kid gets the shooter with the body (still think I swallow the whistle on that) but I understand it.....BUT....how do all 3 officials miss the double dribble when the kid dribbles the ball off his leg with under 4 secs left???.....brutal.....then the Auburn kid commits the unnecessary intentional foul at 1.6 seconds when if he had left the Va. guy alone he would have had to throw up a 40 foot off balance prayer.....Virginia is living a charmed life with that Saturday win and the victory over Purdue....I guess they are a team of destiny?....tonight will tell.....O/U is only 118...the lowest in at least 20 years.....probably will be under unless the game goes OT.....maybe a 49-47 game???....😬

Just a follow up....TheEagleman took Virginia and the Over......the game was much higher scoring than anticipated....not a huge play but a good way to end the college season on a winning note.....also made a ton of $$$ on ORU and the Summit League this season....sorry it's over......😉