2019-2020 Expectations

Old Titan

2019-2020 Expectations  

21 members have voted

1. 1. All things considered, and regardless of roster fluctuations (which every D-1 program has to deal with in the off-season), what would you consider to be minimal, realistic, and acceptable expectations for ORU men's basketball in 2019-2020?

• • 20+ wins in regular season, Summit League 1st or 2nd place, conference tournament finals, post-season play
    • • 17-to-18 win regular season, Summit League 3rd place or better, conference tournament semis or finals, in the post-season conversation
    • • .500 record in regular season, winning record in Summit League, 1st-round conference tournament win, no post-season play
    • • Losing record in regular season and Summit League, 1st-round conference tournament loss, no post-season play

I think 17-18 wins is reasonable to expect.

Not a new thought but ORU has been missing a true point guard for some time... Without a guard who can get the ball to players in their preferred spots or create when the offense is stagnant a team can only go so far.

I think 17-18 wins is definitely attainable BUT it's predicated on the addition (Milton, Abmas, RJ's return, or a possible unknown) of a PG.

With a point guard I believe Kearns would make 1st team Summit as a shooting guard, Weaver and Lacis would get more open looks, and Obanor would get better opportunities on the block.

My minimum expectation is sorta the 14 to 17 win range.  Anything better than that is gravy, anything less and Mills seat starts to get warm.

Interesting off season ahead:

• Does EMan come back for his senior season?
  • Does Ken Milton ever play a minute for ORU?
  • Do Jones's prolific JUCO numbers translate right away to low D1?
  • Does Abmas sign?
  • How many of the Euros return?
  • Will the ORU coaches ever figure out how to defend in this league?
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Thoughts?

This really depends on a number of things happening. 

1.  Retain Obanor, Weaver, Lacis, and Jurgens as Freshmen along with Nzekwesi and Kerns. Trust we can replace Smith with a big.  Sign Abmas and maybe his teammate. Have Jones to play D1 level. Point guard is a must. ORU GRAD

• Like 1

Is the question: “What is a reasonable expectation for THIS team going into next year?” Or is it: “What is a reasonable expectation for Coach Mills in his third year?”

If the intent of the question is the latter, and a .500 team is the acceptable standard  for us in the third year of a coaches tenure, I think we’re missing it as an athletic department and as a fan base. 

• Like 1

Thank you for giving this the thought that I figured you guys would. 

Its a bit of a trick question isn’t it?

To answer EagleManiac’s either/or question:  “Yes”.

It’s about what this particular team should do next year, it’s about where Mills & Co. should be in the third year of a five-year plan, it’s about what expectations should annually be for any ORU team, etc.

It’s ALL those things.

TheEagleman feels that a lot of this will depend on whether we stay in the Summit or end up in the WAC next season some have said is sure to happen...….😏

UMKC fired their coach last week - I'm sure that's proof-positive that ORU is joining the WAC, Metro State is going to the Summit, and North Dakota is joining the Big 10.

1f1.jpg

Getting back on topic:  I frankly think that anything below "Choice #2" in this poll should be unacceptable in ANY year at ORU, or any other private D-1 school with no football and a rich legacy in basketball.  Anything else should be grounds for at least a minimal house-cleaning, in both the staff and the roster.

"MAKE NO SMALL LITTLE* PLANS HERE" 

-Oral Roberts

* edited following TrueBlue82 audit 3/18/19

• Upvote 1

Not to divert away from the topic, but I always appreciate the opportunity to correct my good friend, OT (since he is so accurate, he gives me so few chances). 

“Make no LITTLE plans here” 😉

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Getting back on topic:  I frankly think that anything below "Choice #2" in this poll should be unacceptable in ANY year at ORU, or any other private D-1 school with no football and a rich legacy in basketball.  Anything else should be grounds for at least a minimal house-cleaning, in both the staff and the roster.

"MAKE NO SMALL PLANS HERE" 

-Oral Roberts

For basketball AND EVERY OTHER SPORT. There could probably be a house cleaning in just about every area of the athletic department. The complacency that doomed Scott is running rampant in every sport within the athletic department. 

How can we get athletics spending to translate to wins? 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

For basketball AND EVERY OTHER SPORT. There could probably be a house cleaning in just about every area of the athletic department. The complacency that doomed Scott is running rampant in every sport within the athletic department. 

How can we get athletics spending to translate to wins? 

I have been thinking about this since we started topics on Basketball (both Men and Women) and started looking at all sports at ORU. Baseball is better than most and we, for the most part, are either average in the pack at the Summit level or at the bottom in almost every sport. I do think we need a housecleaning starting at the top. We need players who now coach from ORU or Alum to get a love for our school back and off of life support. I appreciate Ken Tricky, Bill Self and Sutton who were fun to watch until the past five years, and others that contributed to a good brand of basketball. Even the now deceased and beloved golf Coach  Bob Canada and many others.  However,  the expectation at ORU sports is now at an all-time low. Not on this board though. The Summit or the Dakota's are not the problems. Changing leagues is not the answer. Would I like to say our expectations is a 20 win season? You BET! Realistically, every year at the end of basketball, we start hoping and wishing that next year will be better. Somebody has got to hear OUR VOICE. Speaking of Voice, bring him back! I miss him (ORU VOICE) on this board.. ( Bold is for shouting)ORU GRAD

6 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Not to divert away from the topic, but I always appreciate the opportunity to correct my good friend, OT (since he is so accurate, he gives me so few chances). 

“Make no LITTLE plans here” 😉

LOL - I corrected my post above.

Accountants:  gotta love 'em! 🙄

E-man may stay at ORU next year because he seems like a man of faith and he use to say that he felt that God called him to ORU.  Any chance he may play the 5 next year and then let K.O. play the four?  That would be a deadly one two punch inside.  R.J. will be back next year and he is a decent point guard.  

If E-Man comes back along with Obanor, Weaver, Fugua and we sign another decent PG....this ORU team could contend for the Summit Title and win 20......and we won't need a Miracle......that team would be very good.....:circle-logoi:

This is a HUGE offseason for Mills. If he’s somehow able to retain all the key pieces, I think he can get to 17+ wins and meet my expectations for the 3rd year of his rebuild. If we see some departures (Eman, Ken Milton, Obanor come to mind as likely candidates), there’s a high likelihood we’re back to 10 wins and the unexceptional basketball lives on. 

Does anyone else EVER consider defensive play in making these off-season predictions?

Until whoever is on the roster - and on the sidelines - commits to making fundamental defensive play a priority, I see no reason for the results to dramatically change in the near future.

MAKE ORU GREAT AGAIN!!!!.....:hc_mills::tb-white::hc_mills: