ORU vs. NDSU/Round 1

theeagleman5

28 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Don't think Obanor won't have teams sending out feelers thru third parties after the year he just put up as a true freshman.

Mills will have to re-recruit both those guys 

When you lose 20 games (again), don't you have to either re-recruit - or run off - everyone?

15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

When you lose 20 games (again), don't you have to either re-recruit - or run off - everyone?

good point...but those 2 (and  Weaver) probably would be the only players that have real options at the D1 level

…….

when do we start seeing real progress???  the entire athletic dept just seems stuck in an utter malaise of mediocrity....

do you think would Mills survive another losing season? 

Self's rebuild was:

• 6-21
  • 10-17
  • 18-9
  • 21-7 (NIT as an Independant) 

The first ten minutes of the game was simply the best ORU basketball I’ve seen for many years.  Focused - great ball movement - crisp passing.  The remaining 30 minutes went downhill from average to mediocre to inept.  

ORUAlum - I agree that a winning season is a must for next year, or we need a program reboot.

11 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

when do we start seeing real progress???

60+ games into the new regime, it should have been by now.

Tonight was a litmus test:  winnable game against a familiar opponent without as much talent.

Result:  13-point loss in yet another game that was seemingly over 10 minutes into the second half.

Grade?

Failing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

The first ten minutes of the game was simply the best ORU basketball I’ve seen for many years.  Focused - great ball movement - crisp passing.  The remaining 30 minutes went downhill from average to mediocre to inept.  

ORUAlum - I agree that a winning season is a must for next year, or we need a program reboot. 

I agree with that. Next year is make or break.

This was just the second year of a 5-year contract, albeit for only about half annually as Scott Sutton made.

Still, I'm afraid we're probably in for at least two more seasons with this regime - let's hope they figure some things out, but quick.

I’m so frustrated tonight.... the Western upset was a shocker! ORU was going up against a team they had already lost to twice, both times without E-man...guess it’s not so hard to beat a team 3 times in a season!

so things were set up nicely to get to the championship game...anything can happen if they had gotten there!

didnt get a chance to watch, but what’s up with Nez scoring so few points?

zero playing time for Jurgens and Ahmedic? 

Next year I sure would like to see a winning overall and conference record,

at least one win at the conference tourney, and a CIT or CBI post season game....is that too much to ask for ORU basketball?!

I just looked at box score again, E-man only played 18 flippin’ minutes???

E-man has had a very solid career at ORU but tonight was not his night.  He went 1-6 from the field and 0-4 from the free throw line.  Cannot remember him having a game like that since maybe his freshman year.  You have to wonder with Kevin tearing it up at the four position athat E-man might think about transferring his final year.

The more I think about it, the more bizarre the game plan was, particularly once the lead was lost.

A LOT of over-coaching (panic?) switching back and forth between the zone and the man on defense, and the play-calling on offense.  Plus, the substitution pattern (if there was one) was a downright head-scratcher.

Early in the season, I bemoaned the lack of identity with this team.  Was ORU a zone team, or a man team?  Did they want to be physical and pressure their opponent defensively, or pack it in and protect the rim?  Were they a perimeter shooting team, or were they looking to score in the paint?  Did they want to play fast and get a lot of shots up, or play deliberately and look for high-percentage shots?  Who was their go-to guy?  Where did they want him to get the ball in crunch time? 

The list went on and on, as I watched this team look good in some areas for a game or two, and then do a total flip-flop the next time out.

Months later, I still don't have a clue who ORU basketball is, or is trying to become.  And tonight was a microcosm of that; like seeing four or five different ORU teams out there, all in the space of one game.

And, with predictable results...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ORUalum said:

when do we start seeing real progress???  the entire athletic dept just seems stuck in an utter malaise of mediocrity.... 

For years now. Tough time to be a fan. 

2 hours ago, Old Titan said:

This was just the second year of a 5-year contract, albeit for only about half annually as Scott Sutton made.

Still, I'm afraid we're probably in for at least two more seasons with this regime - let's hope they figure some things out, but quick.

Agreed, not a chance Billy cuts ties with a guy that fits the ORU mold so perfectly, especially with a couple of years left on contract. We’re in for a tough stretch if Mills can’t figure it out. I hope he can. 

TheEagleman couldn't bear to comment last night.....a tough tough loss....especially after ORU got off to such a huge start....oh well....back to the drawing board....no clue if that's the last we have seen of E-Man in an ORU uniform....if so, that was a baaaad way to go out.....looks like NDSU will make the finals.....😫

Quote of the Game
"We were the youngest team in this league by a wide margin in regards to minutes continuity. It was good for us to be in this kind of experience. We are obviously disappointed in the outcome but I am proud of the guys in the locker room." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills

What? How many times are you going to use that excuse? He didn't play Jurgens and Ahmedic. Allowed North Dakota to get back in the game with 24-11 edge, and stopped playing the five that got him in front in the game. Then he took out Lacis who was having a great game and it seemed that Eman was still playing hurt and not himself. Played the two guards Malone and Saunders together which is a NO and no time outs at critical times. This was so hard to watch, I turned it off and I love ORU but something must be done from the top and I mean top like AD. We are losing on every level in D1 Sports except baseball and even there we lost a sweep to Dallas Baptist.  It is time for a change! I am totally frustrated!     I guess I should tell you how I really feel.🙄    ORU GRAD

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

Quote of the Game
"We were the youngest team in this league by a wide margin in regards to minutes continuity. It was good for us to be in this kind of experience. We are obviously disappointed in the outcome but I am proud of the guys in the locker room." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills

What? How many times are you going to use that excuse? He didn't play Jurgens and Ahmedic. Allowed North Dakota to get back in the game with 24-11 edge, and stopped playing the five that got him in front in the game. Then he took out Lacis who was having a great game and it seemed that Eman was still playing hurt and not himself. Played the two guards Malone and Saunders together which is a NO and no time outs at critical times. This was so hard to watch, I turned it off and I love ORU but something must be done from the top and I mean top like AD. We are losing on every level in D1 Sports except baseball and even there we lost a sweep to Dallas Baptist.  It is time for a change! I am totally frustrated!     I guess I should tell you how I really feel.🙄    ORU GRAD

TheEagleman was thinking THE EXACT SAME THING when I read that quote....Mills is a broken record with that garbage....I am starting to wonder about Coach....he spewed the same thing BEFORE the game on the BISON sports talk show.....how do you start a game 10-10 from the floor then start the 2nd half 0-17???...that's gotta be a first.....this team coulda/shoulda won last night....not calling time outs to blunt rallies....I am about to give up also....this is just hard to watch...and not because I lost $50 last night.....not sure I will have much if any enthusiasm for this team next year and TheEagleman also LOVES his alma mater...but this is just Ground Hog Day.....I was expecting to see Bill Murray inserted into the line up last night in the 2nd half.....11-21......🤪.....oh well....give me a week to get over it......GO BLUE!.....:tb-blue:

1973-74....Now this was a basketball team....but they still broke TheEaglemans' heart....D1Yt-HIXQAA4L4S.jpg

I agree, the loss was disappointing and frustrating, and I’d even agree that we probably need wholesale changes within the athletic department, but what is a coach supposed to say at the end of the season? Recruiting and re-recruiting starts the SECOND the buzzer sounded.

I too would have thought we’d see more progress by now. But In my mind, a coach deserves three seasons to turn around a program. Let’s not turn on him just yet. 

You are correct, Maniac....Coach Mills gets another year to see how this young team progresses......he does deserve that considering the mess he was left to repair....:hc_mills:

Completely agree Eagleman, the way we let every other athletic program slide at ORU we should at least give Coach Mills another year to see how he developes these young players.  He did not create the disaster MBB has been, he inherited it.   

I'm fine with "trusting the process" to a point, but when you improve the talent on the roster, yet end up with the same results in losing 20+ games, where else does the blame lie?  Lay?  Rest?

And while we're at it, I'm sick to death of all these analytics-based factoids like ORU is "14th In The Country In Guys Who Make 3-Pointers During Warm-Ups" or "Leads The Summit League in Players Who Don't Yet Shave".

You wanna know what statistic means the most to me?  It starts with "W's" and ends with "L's".  The first number should be MORE than the second number. 

Analyze THAT.