2019 Coaching Carousel

Old Titan

Although not definitive, Saul Phillips has let it be known that he has coaching options that he is looking at.  Where and with whom is unknown.  He does claim to being looked at regarding other coaching positions.  He also was at NDSU's play-in game with North Carolina Central in Dayton last week cheering on the Bison.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ORUalum said:

Strike while the iron is hot.  I bet Sutton still regrets not parlaying the Tutt/Green success to a step up the coaching ladder.

Would SDSU give Saul Phillips a look?

I think a school at ORU's level should aspire to be searching for a new coach every 5-6 years. Similar to what Murray St. has done.

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

Although not definitive, Saul Phillips has let it be known that he has coaching options that he is looking at.  Where and with whom is unknown.  He does claim to being looked at regarding other coaching positions.  He also was at NDSU's play-in game with North Carolina Central in Dayton last week cheering on the Bison.

That certainly would turn up the heat on the NDSU vs. SDSU rivalry.

SDSU promotes Assistant Coach Eric Henderson as their new HC in MBB.  Coach Henderson has been an assistant in the program for 3 years.

1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

SDSU promotes Assistant Coach Eric Henderson as their new HC in MBB.  Coach Henderson has been an assistant in the program for 3 years.

I may be remembering incorrectly but I think Henderson was at NDSU previously and Kyan Brown left ORU to replace him.

Where is Kyan Brown now??....😐

SDSU just lost the commitment of Caleb Grill (KS Basketball and Track athlete of the year) who signed with them over Nebraska, Washington State, Texas Tech, & several MVC schools. I assume he will follow Otzelberger to UNLV.

On 3/28/2019 at 2:32 PM, Dr. Cornelius said:

I am ecstatic about this. 

On 3/29/2019 at 10:51 PM, Dr. Cornelius said:

SDSU just lost the commitment of Caleb Grill (KS Basketball and Track athlete of the year) who signed with them over Nebraska, Washington State, Texas Tech, & several MVC schools. I assume he will follow Otzelberger to UNLV.

Don't be surprised if he doesn't also consider Nebraska again, with new coach Fred Hoiberg.  A better school/conference/coach than UNLV, and closer to home.

On 3/29/2019 at 10:51 PM, Dr. Cornelius said:

Jenkins gets his release....

If the quick Henderson hire by SDSU was an attempt to keep the current players and commits....epic fail!

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

If the quick Henderson hire by SDSU was an attempt to keep the current players and commits....epic fail!

I don't understand SDSU's move at all. If the assistant couldn't secure Grill and Jenkins why not conduct a search? Now they may be stuck.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I don't understand SDSU's move at all. If the assistant couldn't secure Grill and Jenkins why not conduct a search? Now they may be stuck.

Needless to say the SDSU folks are not to happy with their former coach about right now. 

Here's an interesting read about an Austrailian  he has been recruiting for over a year at SDSU.  https://lasvegassun.com/news/2019/apr/01/shooting-guard-jonah-antonio-emerges-as-recruiting/

• “Prior to him leaving South Dakota State I asked him, ‘Do you think there’s a chance you leave?’” Antonio said. “He said, ‘If I do, it has to be a great situation. And if I do, I want to continue to recruit you and I’d like to take you with me.’ He wants what’s best for me. He said, ‘If UNLV is best for you and if you’re comfortable with UNLV, then I want you.’”  Otzelberger must have gotten his point across, because Antonio took to Twitter on Saturday and announced that UNLV is among his final three college choices, along with Seton Hall and SMU.

• 4 weeks later...

Another new coach in the Summit League next year...former ORU assistant Kyan Brown at NDSU ought to be a candidate!