Corpus Christi Weekend

TrueBlue82

Should be a decent weekend for baseball in CC with some worthy opponents. 

Ironically, we get a bit of a break with BYU being in the field, as BYU will play Thurs/Fri/Sat to avoid playing on Sunday.  BYU defeated host TAMCC yesterday 6-2.   In theory, then, both BYU and TAMCC will have used their #1 starter yesterday, so it will be our #1 vs. the #2 of TAMCC tonight, and our #2 against BYU’s #3 on Saturday, before things even out with both Ohio State and ORU starting their #3 on Sunday.  It may be too early in the season for this to make a big difference, but we will see.

Personally, I would prefer that ORU also adopt a “no play Sunday” approach, but that is not the purpose of this thread - only to show how BYU’s policy may impact us.

We should know a lot more about the quality of this young team after this weekend!

These should be three good opponents for ORU this weekend so we can gauge just what kind of squad we have.....and TheEagleman has no issue with ORU playing on Sunday....what's more relaxing than a beautiful afternoon in the sun at JLJ watching ORU whip up on the dregs of the Summit League.....sounds like a nice restful afternoon....just as the Lord planned it.....😎

If I have time before the BYU game, I will share a couple of "you had to be there" stories about playing the Cougars in the championship of the 1984 Riverside Invitational.

Let's just say (in my best Jim Nantz voice) that when ORU and BYU face each other in tournament play, it's a match-up "unlike any other".  LOL

• Like 1

TAMCC beating the Golden Eagles like they own them, 5-0 top of the 8th, ORU with NO hits and looking like they have no clue.  This could be a VERY long weekend.  

Good guys lose 5-1 and manage only 1 hit the entire game, which came in the top of the 9th.  Things could get real ugly for us this weekend.

1 hit...1 run...hard to believe after the 35 runs we scored vs. Murray State....that wasnt Roger Clemens we faced last night...lets hope the Good Guys got some rest overnight and are ready to rumble vs. BYU this afternoon...😎

It’s not an excuse, but Friday night’s game was played in a fairly thick fog.  Three of their five runs were unearned, and the weather was likely a factor. 

Time to bounce back today!

As ORU found out the hard way a few seasons back, the Southland Conference has some great pitching.  Couple that with their first game under the lights in the hazy, unfamiliar confines, and it's a recipe for an offensive power outage.

SO, about playing BYU back in the Riverside Invitational in 1984... 

First, you must understand that playing in that 8-team classic was a big deal back then, as the Cal-Riverside website can attest:  The RBI Tournament.  It was a huge deal for the Riverside (CA) community, and a big money-maker for the organizers.  ORU and BYU were perennial Top-25 teams at the time, but it was still a bit of a surprise when the two private religious schools managed to power their way through the round-robin bracket and into the championship game. 

Which is where I found the tournament director, a local Chamber of Commerce-type who was only interested in the bottom line,  glumly sitting with chin in hands in the press box late in that title game. 

He took a glance at my ORU logo shirt, scoffed disgustedly, and snorted:  "You people - we haven't sold a @%#$%& beer all night."

When I shrugged sympathetically, he added "Oh, well - at least your guys are buying Cokes.  All those BYU people buy is bottled water."

Secondly, BYU has a different kind of fan base:  grown-ups acting like they're in high school, complete with pom-poms, air horns, and the like.  They stood out in sharp contrast to the friends and families of our California players, who made up our smallish fan base throughout the tournament.  There was one knot of particularly sketchy guys cheering for ORU, comprised of a couple of players' big brothers and their SoCal surfer buddies.

At one point, the BYU fans decided that screaming for every hit and booing every questionable call was not enough, so they turned en masse to our side of the stands and launched into that old finger-pointing favorite, "WE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO, WE GOT SPIRIT, HOW ABOUT YOU???"

Which was met with resounding silence from the ORU family and friends, who simply looked at around at each other in bemusement.

Again, they persisted:  "WE GOT SPIRIT, YES WE DO, WE GOT SPIRIT, HOW ABOUT YOU???"

Which went on three or four times before, after a quick huddle, the small band of surfer dudes responded with:  "WE GOT ONE WIFE, YES WE DO, WE GOT ONE WIFE, HOW ABOUT YOU??"

And, I have to to give those Cougar fans credit:  after their initial shock, they hardly missed in beat in replying:  "WE GOT MORE!! WE GOT MORE!! WE GOT MORE!!  WE GOT MORE!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for the story OT, loved it!  Yes, TAMCC is doing the video but our people are doing the broadcast.  It is free and truly a class act on the part of TAMCC.  BTW, we are playing MUCH BETTER today and can hopefully pull out a "W" in this game.  For what its worth, BYU handed Ohio State its first loss of the season yesterday with a final score of 5-1.  Go figure and GO GOLDEN EAGLES!

Good guys getting pounded by Ohio State 7-0 and it is still in the 4th with Ohio State still at bat.  This game is for the losers as neither Ohio State nor us have won a game this weekend.  Sad to say but this team right now is bad.

It's F-E-B-R-U-A-R-Y.

Anything before mid-March is gravy.

They're throwing freshman pitchers out there to see what they can do, and to work on situations.  Plus, the batting order is being shuffled every game.

Ryan Folmar is a proven winner who says he likes this team, and even HE said it will be 20-to-25 games to figure out who can do what.

"Patience, sports fans - patience!"

• Like 1

OT, you and I both know from personal experience that it is WAAAAY too early to judge this team.  My only concern with getting swept is that I have been hoping for years that an ORU team could escape the #4 seed in the tourney (we have received a rare 3 from time to time) to avoid facing an ace on their home turf and the challenge of fighting back from the consolation bracket.  Unfortunately, while not out of the question, the Eagles just made that opportunity (a #3 seed) a whole lot more difficult.  I hate to see them miss out on a win or two against a quality opponent on a neutral field, to help add that "feather" to the cap.. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

OT, you and I both know from personal experience that it is WAAAAY too early to judge this team.  My only concern with getting swept is that I have been hoping for years that an ORU team could escape the #4 seed in the tourney (we have received a rare 3 from time to time) to avoid facing an ace on their home turf and the challenge of fighting back from the consolation bracket.  Unfortunately, while not out of the question, the Eagles just made that opportunity (a #3 seed) a whole lot more difficult.  I hate to see them miss out on a win or two against a quality opponent on a neutral field, to help add that "feather" to the cap.. 

With over 20 newcomers this season (and so many of them freshmen), this would be a "rebuilding year" for most other programs, and a .500 record would be acceptable (as it may well turn out to be for ORU this year).

But, as the perennial defending champion of the Summit League, ORU is always afforded a fantastic position for late-season heroics:  just be playing well enough in May to win the conference tournament in Tulsa, and use the experience from that No. 4 seed in the regionals as a springboard for the next two or three seasons.

If what Ryan Folmar says is true, this class of Golden Eagles might just earn that 3-seed in a regional next year and/or in 2021.