ORU at Western Illinois

theeagleman5

E-man came to play, 13 and 6, but the rest of the team looks lost in space.  Once again the opponent is tearing up ORU's zone defense.  

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

How? 

Even if ORU loses out the rest of the way, the teams behind them need so many things to go right to earn that 5th spot, that I still think it's highly unlikely. 

I don’t see ORU beating Omaha, and I do think it very possible that South Dakota beats both NDSU and North Dakota, two home games.

SD would finish 7-9, ORU 6-10

South Dakota can't beat NDSU, but if they beat UND they would be tied at 6-10 with a lose-out ORU, who they split with head-to-head. 

I'm not sure how the tiebreaker works after that, but I'm guessing ORU's early victory over likely #1 or #2 Omaha would figure prominently in the process.

So, while I'm not quite as certain as I was a couple of weeks ago, I would STILL wager that ORU will limp into Sioux Falls in the 5th spot, to play either PFW or NDSU.

So much for the 7 days prep theory!

SD will beat NDSU, Eagleman you can take that one to the 🏦!

6th seed at the tourney, one and done! 🤮

Eagles were almost unwatchable tonight.  Playing like it’s an early season game in the last road game of the year. 

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Eagles were almost unwatchable tonight.  Playing like it’s an early season game in the last road game of the year. 

Not having a point guard can have that effect on a team, particularly on the road.

Can you imagine the carnage if ORU played more teams that applied full-court pressure?

Pathetic....losing Kearns was a killer....looks like the under 10.5 wins is a lock....we cant beat Omaha and will be one and done in Sioux Falls....this season is coming to a sad ending....😪

That was one of the ugliest college basketball games I've seen in a long time. I'm not sure why opponents would feel the need to press, possibly giving up some easy transition baskets, when ORU's half-court offense is as anemic as it has been lately.

14 hours ago, ORUIllini said:

So much for the 7 days prep theory!

SD will beat NDSU, Eagleman you can take that one to the 🏦!

6th seed at the tourney, one and done! 🤮

I fail to see the motivation for USD or UND to finish 5th, for the same reasons as previously stated for ORU. 

6th-seed is simply a better place to be than 5th (or 4th, for that matter) in this year’s tournament.

UNLESS....Omaha somehow ends up as the #1 seed and SDSU #2. Then, 6th-seed takes its rightful place behind 4th & 5th. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

I fail to see the motivation for USD or UND to finish 5th, for the same reasons as previously stated for ORU. 

6th-seed is simply a better place to be than 5th (or 4th, for that matter) in this year’s tournament.

UNLESS....Omaha somehow ends up as the #1 seed and SDSU #2. Then, 6th-seed takes its rightful place behind 4th & 5th.  

The 6th seed is a MUCH better spot! NDSU is probably the hottest team in the league right now... would much rather draw Fort Wayne.

2 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The 6th seed is a MUCH better spot! NDSU is probably the hottest team in the league right now... would much rather draw Fort Wayne.

There is a vast gap between the top four teams in the league and the rest of the bunch; either PFW or NDSU represent huge challenges for this oil-leaking ORU team.

Interestingly, ORU will play a significant role in the determination of the #1 seed, and win or lose, they will likely push SDSU into ORU’s side of the bracket. 

If Omaha defeats ORU on Thursday and Denver on Saturday (heavy favorites in both), they will be the #1 seed.  If ORU wins on Thursday, they will be the 5, and SDSU the 1.  If ORU loses on Thursday, they will be a 6 if either UND or USD win out, and SDSU will likely be the 2.  

And so, it is very probable that SDSU will be in the path as a second round matchup for ORU.  However, the chances of ORU getting to the second round seem quite remote at this point. 

37 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Interestingly, ORU will play a significant role in the determination of the #1 seed, and win or lose, they will likely push SDSU into ORU’s side of the bracket. 

If Omaha defeats ORU on Thursday and Denver on Saturday (heavy favorites in both), they will be the #1 seed.  If ORU wins on Thursday, they will be the 5, and SDSU the 1.  If ORU loses on Thursday, they will be a 6 if either UND or USD win out, and SDSU will likely be the 2.  

And so, it is very probable that SDSU will be in the path as a second round matchup for ORU.  However, the chances of ORU getting to the second round seem quite remote at this point. 

You know, I've never approved of the "top-to-bottom best wins" comparison method of breaking a tie, as opposed to the "bottom-to-top worst losses" approach.

If SDSU and Omaha end up tied for 1st with 14-2 records, and having split head-to-head, Omaha will indeed win the tie-breaker, having swept third/fourth PFW, who SDSU split with (both teams swept still-possible 3rd-place NDSU, so the Bison won't figure into this tie-break process).

I ask, is it really fair to penalize SDSU for losing ON THE ROAD to PFW, while discounting Omaha's loss AT HOME to #5/6 Oral Roberts (who SDSU swept)?

Sorry; I've seen this formula work to ORU's advantage a couple of times over the years, but still not a fan...

16 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

You know, I've never approved of the "top-to-bottom best wins" comparison method of breaking a tie, as opposed to the "bottom-to-top worst losses" approach.

If SDSU and Omaha end up tied for 1st with 14-2 records, and having split head-to-head, Omaha will indeed win the tie-breaker, having swept third/fourth PFW, who SDSU split with (both teams swept still-possible 3rd-place NDSU, so the Bison won't figure into the tie-break formula).

I ask, is it really fair to penalize SDSU for losing ON THE ROAD to PFW, while discounting Omaha's loss AT HOME to #5/6 Oral Roberts (who SDSU swept)?

Sorry; I've seen this formula work to ORU's advantage a couple of times over the years, but still not a fan...

It's a fair discussion, but if the "bottoms up" approach were followed, I could flip your argument to say "in comparing the two teams, shouldn't Omaha be rewarded for sweeping PFW, which SDSU couldn't do"?  I can definitely see your point, but as I've considered it over the years, I've determined that I would rather reward a team for a good win than to penalize them for a bad loss.  But, then again, I've always been a "glass half full" guy. 😉

8 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

It's a fair discussion, but if the "bottoms up" approach were followed, I could flip your argument to say "in comparing the two teams, shouldn't Omaha be rewarded for sweeping PFW, which SDSU couldn't do"?  I can definitely see your point, but as I've considered it over the years, I've determined that I would rather reward a team for a good win, than to penalize them for a bad loss.  But, then again, I've always been a "glass half full" guy. 😉

...and I'm of the opinion that we should be trying to eliminate the less-deserving of the two.

In other words:  you think Omaha's sweep of PFW outshines SDSU's split with the Dons; while I say the stench of the Mav's home loss to ORU overpowers the fragrance of SDSU's sweep of the Golden Eagles.

What the heck:  flip a coin. 😉

3 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

What the heck:  flip a coin. 😉

On that, we can agree!  We're comparing six with half a dozen... 😉

11 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

On that, we can agree!  We're comparing six with half a dozen... 😉

Actually, I must disagree (does that surprise you? lol)

Omaha's apparent inside-track to the No. 1 seed now throws my whole "6th is better than 4th or 5th" argument of the past couple of weeks right into the dumpster.

It means that PFW and NDSU may have conflicted motives as they go into this last week of play, asking themselves "Do we still go all-out for 3rd place (which now would mean a second-round match-up with SDSU), or is 4th place (and Omaha in the semi's) actually not so bad after all?"

We've seen this sort of thing before from Greg Kampe at Oakland before the Grizzlies left the conference, as they inexplicably lost games in the last week of the season to jockey themselves into Dakota-less seedings in Sioux Falls.

"LET THE TANKING BEGIN!!" 😜