ORU at U. of North Dakota

theeagleman5

1 minute ago, ORUalum said:

51 2nd half pts given up.....another opponent shooting 50% from three.....Mills may need to re-examine his defensive philosophy

What defensive philosophy?  Sitting back in a zone 80% of the time and hoping nobody goes off from 3?

How has THAT worked out these last two games?

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!......🤮

37 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

ORU can forget about the 4-5 game. I think the 7 or 8 spot is where they will end up... not that it matters. Seems like this team has given up.

After re-checking the standings, ORU is still a virtual lock for at least 5th place, even if they lose their remaining regular season games.

UND would have to win out in their final three games to bump ORU down to 6th.

17 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

After re-checking the standings, ORU is still a virtual lock for at least 5th place, even if they lose their remaining regular season games.

UND would have to win out in their final three games to bump ORU down to 6th.

What about SD going 3-1, and ORU losing their last 2?

SD would end up 7-9 and ORU 6-10, which would put ORU 6th, no?

55 minutes ago, ORUIllini said:

What about SD going 3-1, and ORU losing their last 2?

SD would end up 7-9 and ORU 6-10, which would put ORU 6th, no?

Without even looking at South Dakota’s remaining schedule, does the prospect of them going 3-1 down the stretch seem very likely?  

And if they go 2-2 with ORU finishing 0-2, the Golden Eagles hold the tiebreaker.

ORU is going to finish 5th and probably play NDSU (who lost to SDSU tonight on a half-court buzzer beater after leading the entire game).

On 2/15/2019 at 1:03 PM, lakesbison said:

if you lose this, shut down the program. they have only 3 D1 wins..  maybe 4

The NDSU poster, now known there as El Chapo at his own request, doesn’t give any good advice as that crooked name suggests.

UND lost a guard grad transfer to Gonzaga and has been out of the services of Avants our center, really power forward, for several games.  Actually won the service of a recruit last year, Jal Bijiek, that had offers from the Sooners and LSU, but he hasn’t played much yet.

This team has to shoot well on threes to do good which they did today, and it helps that ORU doesn’t have a defense.

Since Mills took over, ORU usually has an advantage on the inside (rebounds, points in the paint, etc.) but a disadvantage with the perimeter game (three point shooting, assists, and turnovers).   So in other words, they need to get better guard play.  Sam has been solid for the most part but hardly any other guard is consistent.  ORU needs to add some better guards (RJ, Milton,  and Max Abmas are hopefully on the way barring any transfers).  North Dakota's back court just dominated ORU.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

RJ, Milton,  and Max Abrahms are hopefully on the way barring any transfers.

Band-Aids on a severed limb.

Simply not enough to avoid a fourth-consecutive 20-loss season in 2019-20.

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Band-Aids on a severed limb.

Simply not enough to avoid a fourth-consecutive 20-loss season in 2019-20.

I think with Fuqua this team has 3-4 additional wins.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I think with Fuqua this team has 3-4 additional wins.

I think that’s a fair assessment. Sam has done well but he’s really not a true PG like RJ is. It remains to be seen if RJ can still play though. Hip injuries can end careers. 

RJ is simply too small to defend the bigger guards in this league from getting to the rim, or to defend the perimeter in the zone.

Until ORU gets the kind of taller, stronger guards I've been pleading for ever since returning from the Southland (like Rod Pearson, Adam Liberty, Obi Emegano, or Korey Bilbury), you're going to see the same kind of results defensively as these last two games when playing the better league schools.

• Like 1

Milton from Conway is listed at 6-3 185 so he would be a good size point guard.  After watching his highlight film he looks more like a scorer so maybe he plays the two guard spot.  The Summit league should be wide open next year with most of the top teams losing key pieces.  If ORU can get some solid guard play and keep E-man then they should see a top four finish in 2020.  It is not the glory days of Green and Tutt but it is some improvement.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

It is not the glory days of Green and Tutt but it is some improvement.

Not losing 20 games a year, or finishing in the upper half of a one-bid conference, are such low bars to clear; forgive me for harboring higher aspirations for this once-proud program.

• Upvote 1

You got that right, OT....this has been a very sad decade for ORU Men's basketball.....the past 5-6 years have just been awful......not sure what the answer is besides getting better players......we have a few young prospects who look good but who knows....also so many injuries over the past few years.....losing Emmanuel this season along with Fuqua has just been a killer....I can't say much about Paul Mills at this point...who knows?...and the last few Sutton years speak for itself......ORU has top notch facilities and there seems to be support from the administration....but this is just so hard to watch....TheEagleman used to live and die with ORU basketball but now I only watch bits and pieces of games.....just too painful...and the stands are empty....very hard for old timers like us who recall the Glory Years of ORU basketball..........now it's almost like Groundhog Day.....ugh.....😵

Will be interesting to hear what Coach Mills has to say tonight....did he appear on his post game show on Saturday night???...🙄

18 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Will be interesting to hear what Coach Mills has to say tonight....did he appear on his post game show on Saturday night???...🙄

yes, paraphrasing what i remember.....anyone feel free to correct if i'm wrong or off...

when asked about UND's offensive explosion in the 2nd half:  he said in hindsight that he wished he had stayed in zone after the half.  they switched to man at the half, because of how well UND shot the three ball.  he said that they showed again the inability to keep people in front of them and UND went off for over 50

On 2/16/2019 at 1:01 PM, theeagleman5 said:

Sorry to agree with LakesBison but ORU can't lose to UND....they are just not good.....😕

RIP ORU

cmon man... wow.