Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
theeagleman5

ORU at South Dakota

Recommended Posts

ORU GRAD
1 hour ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Looked up mike daums freshman stats. He scored 15.2 points a game and 6.1 rebounds along with 29 made three pointers. Obanor is 14.6 and 7.2 along with 21 made three pointers. Very similar stats. Daums freshman team also had extremely talented guards in Bittle, Parks , and Marshall to facilitate the offense. Obanor is doing a lot with a less talented team around him.

5

If you are comparing the guards Bittle, Parks and Marshall I would say yes,  but I have been watching Kerns and I would have to say not only is he talented but coming into his own right now. Weaver, Jurgens, and Lacis have talent but just not yet developed at D1 level. That said, I do believe we have guards that can shoot, along with the inside game and improvement of Emir.  If these guys stay together, we could have something very special.ORU GRAD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eaglefan 21
7 minutes ago, ORU GRAD said:

If you are comparing the guards Bittle, Parks and Marshall I would say yes,  but I have been watching Kerns and I would have to say not only is he talented but coming into his own right now. Weaver, Jurgens, and Lacis have talent but just not yet developed at D1 level. That said, I do believe we have guards that can shoot, along with the inside game and improvement of Emir.  If these guys stay together, we could have something very special.ORU GRAD

Right, not taking anything away from Kearns, just saying that having three Senior guards surely helped Daum in those early years. Our guards have come a long way over the course of this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr. Cornelius
15 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Making your free throws as a post man is the difference between 14 points a night vs. 20+ points a night, as Caleb proved so well throughout his career.

 

Free Throws Career Leaders (Since 1985-1986)

career-ft.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan
14 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Caleb AVERAGED almost 7-of-9 free throw shooting per game for his CAREER.

That's incredible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

Obanor (RFr)Obanor.png.748c69b9c49d31e44052489c9220c1df.png

 

Daum  (RFr)Daum.png.2de7e60d1375d7b01d746a5be7e7101e.png

 

Morrison (Fr)Morrison.png.6bf557769e09910e134b7240607f15b7.png

 

Green (Fr)Green.png.b3b94f5187cb38c884bc20709381f77c.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

Caleb Green arguably one of the top 5 ORU players of all time....(Roberts, Fuqua, Acres, Sutton, Green???)....TheEagleman isn't putting Obanor in that kind of rarified air yet...but he is playing awfully good for a freshman....as for ORU running the table?...let's not get carried away.....but if we do, the Good Guys still aren't going to get up for the 3 seed unless IPFW just falls apart...this is doubtful....and if that IPFW buzzer beater at Mabee ends up costing us the 3 seed...well, that will be painful.....so the likely first round opponent is NDSU and then the first place Jacks in the semis which is the end for ORU.....Jacks have had an amazing season and OT not far off in his prediction that they would go unbeaten in the Summit....frankly, I don't think ORU will beat NDSU on Thursday night....we could win at ND, and WIU....but the finale vs. Omaha at home is also no gimme....the Mavericks have come on to be the 2nd best team in the Summit.....more likely we finish at 8-8 or 9-7 at best.....this ORU team has shown a lot of progress...Coach Mills doing an admirable job........🤩

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan
9 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

Obanor (RFr)Obanor.png.748c69b9c49d31e44052489c9220c1df.png

 

Daum  (RFr)Daum.png.2de7e60d1375d7b01d746a5be7e7101e.png

 

Morrison (Fr)Morrison.png.6bf557769e09910e134b7240607f15b7.png

 

Green (Fr)Green.png.b3b94f5187cb38c884bc20709381f77c.png

 

What about Ken Tutt's freshman numbers?

Or even Steven Roundtree? (conference Newcomer OTY his freshman year, I think)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum
14 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

What about Ken Tutt's freshman numbers?

Or even Steven Roundtree? (conference Newcomer OTY his freshman year, I think)

I was sticking w/forwards, so did not include Tutt.  Did not consider Roundtree in the class of Daum, Morrison, or Green.  Here ya go...

Tutt (Fr) Tutt.png.8ec9489c5680406ee13050db019d5261.png

 

Roundtree (Fr) Roundtree.png.e8af0850dc636504596e12cf07743f04.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan
8 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

I was sticking w/forwards, so did not include Tutt.  Did not consider Roundtree in the class of Daum, Morrison, or Green.  Here ya go...

Tutt (Fr) Tutt.png.8ec9489c5680406ee13050db019d5261.png

 

Roundtree (Fr) Roundtree.png.e8af0850dc636504596e12cf07743f04.png

Thanks for the numbers; Obanor's freshman season has been impressive, and he is a unique talent for both ORU and the league.

But, here's my point:  this is what really good freshmen look like; it's not all THAT unusual every few seasons for any team in the land.

We're just not used to seeing it lately at ORU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORU82

Agree OT, and I also agree with what the Eagleman stated above.  What was really nice was to watch a game that we were playing on the road and see our team dominate the other team.  That we have not seen in a long time.  I am in the camp that believes this team if it stays together could be a very special group.  There are a lot of "ifs" that have to fall in place or happen, but we currently have the potential in the next couple of years to really make some noise, not only in the Summit but beyond.  I also realize we will hit speed bumps along the way and there will be disappointments but for now, I have hope which is something I have not had concerning this program in a VERY LONG TIME!  Go Golden Eagles!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan
20 minutes ago, ORU82 said:

Agree OT, and I also agree with what the Eagleman stated above.  What was really nice was to watch a game that we were playing on the road and see our team dominate the other team.  That we have not seen in a long time.  I am in the camp that believes this team if it stays together could be a very special group.  There are a lot of "ifs" that have to fall in place or happen, but we currently have the potential in the next couple of years to really make some noise, not only in the Summit but beyond.  I also realize we will hit speed bumps along the way and there will be disappointments but for now, I have hope which is something I have not had concerning this program in a VERY LONG TIME!  Go Golden Eagles!

Games like this seem to happen from time to time, even when having an overall bad year - remember the dunkfest at Florida Gulf Coast last year?

Typically, a runaway on the road is predicated by sterling guard play.  Kearns and Malone did a great job Sunday running the offense and managing the clock.  That has a lot to do with match-ups, and what the other team runs on offense and defense.

Unlike USD, NDSU has big, athletic guards, and their sets take advantage of those strengths.  It will be interesting to see how the ORU guards perform in that situation.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUParentLurker

KO is a great talent no doubt.  But dont overlook the game planning and execution.   He's getting the ball in the right spots to exploit his matchup.  Sam is a huge part of that.

 

It's also a big deal that the offense completely changed after the NDSU game.  We've scored over 80 every game since.  There's a lot more space in the floor and its leading to more penetration and more one vs one matchups for Kevin.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan
2 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

KO is a great talent no doubt.  But dont overlook the game planning and execution.   He's getting the ball in the right spots to exploit his matchup.  Sam is a huge part of that.

 

It's also a big deal that the offense completely changed after the NDSU game.  We've scored over 80 every game since.  There's a lot more space in the floor and its leading to more penetration and more one vs one matchups for Kevin.

There is no question that Sam is currently playing the best basketball of his ORU career, and that combines with the "bigs" to put a lot of pressure on a defense.

The problem during the home losing streak was figuring out ways to defend the 3-point line and drives to the rim when the diminutive combo of Kearns and Malone are on the floor at the same time.

Against better teams, you can't just trade baskets; you have to figure out a way get defensive stops in crunch time.

Which is why I wonder why ORU doesn't apply some half court pressure when those two are out there - beats the heck out of sitting back in the zone, or getting bullied into the lane by larger guards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×