ORU at South Dakota

theeagleman5

If we lose on Thursday in Fargo, we are virtually guaranteed a 5.  If we win, things could get very interesting.  Either way, we are likely to be THAT team that no other team wants to face.  

Loved how Obanor responded to the ESPN on-court reporter after the game.  She tried to get him to talk about HIS great game, and all he would talk about was the TEAM.  This attitude bodes very well for team chemistry. 

Obanor, nicknamed K.O., has had the best freshman season of any ORU player since maybe Caleb Green.  He can drive the ball, shoot outside or inside, and is a great rebounder.  He has to be the surprise of Coach Mills first recuriting class.  K.O. should win newcomer of the year in the Summit League.

• Upvote 1

Obanor is a total beast....can't believe TheEagleman is saying this but I believe he might be better than Caleb was as a freshman.....the Thursday game vs. Denver and today's 28 and 14 on the road convinced me of that and K.0. doesn't have the talent around him that Green had.....also,  ORU much better off getting the 6 seed rather than a 5....we want to avoid SDSU as long as possible....:tb-blue:

I hate to disappoint everyone.  But these guys arent getting a six seed.  It wouldnt surprise me if they win out.

At this point Caleb Green was better as a freshman, but that takes nothing away from Obanor because he is already playing such an important role and is continuing to improve.  He is also one of our best free throw shooters and I remember Coach Mills saying that Kevin has spent a lot of time practicing free throws.  He is absolutely our go to scorer right now and a healthy Eman will definitely benefit from the attention KO will draw defensively.

7 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I hate to disappoint everyone.  But these guys arent getting a six seed.  It wouldnt surprise me if they win out.

No one in this entire thread has suggested that ORU would be the 6th seed. 

What has been discussed is that ORU stands a better chance of making the finals by playing in the 3-vs-6 game than the 4-vs-5 game, thus avoiding #1 SDSU in the semis.

From the moment they took the floor as starters in November of their freshman year, Caleb Green and Ken Tutt were transcendent, “go to” players who routinely scored 20+ points a game EACH. 

Dominque Morrison also took the reigns as a freshman starter and was the undisputed leader of the team from his first few games. 

While Kevin Obanor has certainly stuffed the stat sheet lately, let’s remember he wasn’t even a starter until injuries made it a necessity.  It remains to be seen whether he will return to 6th man status once E-man returns.

Lets enjoy what he’s doing during this fantastic run, but let’s also keep things in perspective when comparing him right now to the all-time ORU greats.

9 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

K.O. should win newcomer of the year in the Summit League.

Three years ago, the Summit League did away with Newcomer OTY and split it into Freshman OTY (which E-man won two years ago) and Transfer OTY (Austin Ruder somewhat surprisingly won this award last season). 

If Obanor continues his torrid conference season, he would indeed appear to be a lock for Freshman OTY, and may add some additional hardware as 6th Man OTY and an all-conference selection. 

Looked up mike daums freshman stats. He scored 15.2 points a game and 6.1 rebounds along with 29 made three pointers. Obanor is 14.6 and 7.2 along with 21 made three pointers. Very similar stats. Daums freshman team also had extremely talented guards in Bittle, Parks , and Marshall to facilitate the offense. Obanor is doing a lot with a less talented team around him.

The crazy thing about Obanor is that he is almost a 50-40-90 guy as a freshman.  As a young player, he just does not seem to take bad shots or force his game.  Through 27 games (playing in 23 and starting 6) of his RFr campaign, Obanor is sitting at 58.5 -- 40.4 -- 82.1😲😲😲  WOW!!!

By comparison, EMan's split as a RJr (23 gp and 21 starts) is 54.1 -- 25.0 -- 70.6

http://oruathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/teams/oralroberts?view=lineup&r=0&pos=st

EDIT: Obanor in conference play (12 games, 3 starts) ---  56.6 -- 43.9  -- 87.1

53 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

The crazy thing about Obanor is that he is almost a 50-40-90 guy as a freshman.  As a young player, he just does not seem to take bad shots or force his game.  Through 27 games (playing in 23 and starting 6) of his RFr campaign, Obanor is sitting at 58.5 -- 40.4 -- 82.1😲😲😲  WOW!!!

By comparison, EMan's split as a RJr (23 gp and 21 starts) is 54.1 -- 25.0 -- 70.6

http://oruathletics.com/sports/mbkb/2018-19/teams/oralroberts?view=lineup&r=0&pos=st

EDIT: Obanor in conference play (12 games, 3 starts) ---  56.6 -- 43.9  -- 87.1

I will say this about Obanor:  he has so far been a much better three-point shooter than Caleb as a freshman (not even sure Caleb TOOK a three in his freshman year), and has also been a great free throw shooter, which is invaluable when playing on the blocks.

Making your free throws as a post man is the difference between 14 points a night vs. 20+ points a night, as Caleb proved so well throughout his career.

Obanor is actually shooting better from 3 as a freshman than DoMo ( .404 compared to .333 ) with the same amount of attempts per game (2.4)

1 hour ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Looked up mike daums freshman stats. He scored 15.2 points a game and 6.1 rebounds along with 29 made three pointers. Obanor is 14.6 and 7.2 along with 21 made three pointers. Very similar stats. Daums freshman team also had extremely talented guards in Bittle, Parks , and Marshall to facilitate the offense. Obanor is doing a lot with a less talented team around him.

If you are comparing the guards Bittle, Parks and Marshall I would say yes,  but I have been watching Kerns and I would have to say not only is he talented but coming into his own right now. Weaver, Jurgens, and Lacis have talent but just not yet developed at D1 level. That said, I do believe we have guards that can shoot, along with the inside game and improvement of Emir.  If these guys stay together, we could have something very special.ORU GRAD

7 minutes ago, ORU GRAD said:

If you are comparing the guards Bittle, Parks and Marshall I would say yes,  but I have been watching Kerns and I would have to say not only is he talented but coming into his own right now. Weaver, Jurgens, and Lacis have talent but just not yet developed at D1 level. That said, I do believe we have guards that can shoot, along with the inside game and improvement of Emir.  If these guys stay together, we could have something very special.ORU GRAD

Right, not taking anything away from Kearns, just saying that having three Senior guards surely helped Daum in those early years. Our guards have come a long way over the course of this season.