ORU at South Dakota

theeagleman5

4 hours ago, Old Titan said:

This game opened this morning with ORU a 6.5 point underdog, and has already moved to -8, with the total dropping from 143.5 to 141.5.

The late money proved to be wrong money.

Congrats to the players and coaches on a nice road win with E-Man out.   Now .500 in league play

• Like 1

Easily one of ORU's most impressive outings of the season; particularly with Nzekwezi sidelined.

Simply demoralized a Coyote team that appeared in the first half to have come to play.

Goofball USD coach certainly helped ORU's cause in the second half by failing to even offer token halfcourt defensive pressure; pretty much just let ORU run their stuff till it was out of hand.

When Ahmedic can avoid early fouls and work up a sweat, he becomes a very serviceable back-up for Smith.  Just takes a while to get his motor going.

Does Paul Mills think it's somehow cool, or professional or whatever, to not show ANY positive emotion in an interview?  "SMILE COACH; YOU WON BY DOUBLE-DIGITS ON THE ROAD - THE RECRUITS/SPONSORS/DONORS MAY BE WATCHING!!!" lol

First time in conference play ORU has less FTA than opponent, and WINS!

great game by the 9 man squad! Exciting!

Great game and great win for the Good Guys.  Also, a lot of love from the ESPN crew for our players, team, staff and program.  Go Golden Eagles!

Just now, ORU82 said:

Great game and great win for the Good Guys.  Also, a lot of love from the ESPN crew for our players, team, staff and program.  Go Golden Eagles!

That broadcast crew was pretty good; sometimes those Midco Sports guys can be awfully Dakota-centric (since that's their broadcast footprint), but those two were very professional.

26 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

The late money proved to be wrong money.

Hope it wasn't Eagleman making that line move with a big play on USD... 💰💰💰

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

That broadcast crew was pretty good; sometimes those Midco Sports guys can be awfully Dakota-centric (since that's their broadcast footprint), but those two were very professional.

They were not only fair in their assessment of the game but gave great reviews to our freshmen and Ahmedic. This is by far the best game I have seen with all nine players seeing action. They seemed more focused on the gameplan and what their role was on the floor. Great game and on ESPN  for all to see. This ought to help in recruiting. Go Eagles! ORU GRAD

I’m traveling so I didn’t see the game - and wasn’t able to listen either. My quick take is that South Dakota couldn’t handle Obanor - and Malone has raised his game. Having another guard that is a scoring threat is really big. Nice win by the good guys. 

After looking at the standings following this win today, I would be VERY surprised to see ORU finish anywhere but 5th in the regular season race; facing either North Dakota State or Purdue-Fort Wayne in the first round (with Omaha as a long-shot 4-seed).

....and if anyone can make a legitimate case for something other than that, feel free to respond.

Damn....just checked the score.... TheEagleman expected close and teased ORU +14 and Over 135.5....plus took ORU +8 straight up....easy wins today....amazed the Good Guys played so well on the road...Coach Mills is a genius!!...:hc_mills:

This team has been playing better on the road for most of the season.  All the rough losses came with Kearns out.  It amazing what a veteran gaurd can do for you.

• Upvote 2

OT -

i would agree that 5th place is ORU’s most likely seeding. However, as I was looking at the season schedule this morning, I found myself commenting (surprisingly) that “all the remaining games are wInnable”.  And, then the guys come through with their strongest performance of the season, and without EMan to boot. 

I would make a slight revision to your statement - which really doesn’t change a thing: I would be VERY surprised to see ORU playing in any other than the 4-5 game.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

OT -

i would agree that 5th place is ORU’s most likely seeding. However, as I was looking at the season schedule this morning, I found myself commenting (surprisingly) that “all the remaining games are wInnable”.  And, then the guys come through with their strongest performance of the season, and without EMan to boot. 

I would make a slight revision to your statement - which really doesn’t change a thing: I would be VERY surprised to see ORU playing in any other than the 4-5 game.  

Even if ORU wins out and finishes at 10-6, I think they'll still be in 5th place:  they're no better than 2 games behind everyone in front of them in the loss column, and none of those three teams has played 12 games yet as ORU has.

Simply put, NDSU, PFW and UNO have more chances left to win 10+ games than ORU does to win 10 total.

The one thing that might get interesting would be ORU ending in a 3-way tie for third with NDSU and Omaha (assuming PFW is alone in 2nd). 

ORU could win the tiebreaker in that scenario if they sweep Omaha and split with the Bi-zon, thus playing in the 3-vs-6 game after all.

Any ties involving PFW, however, do not bode well for ORU, having been swept by the Dons already.

Remaining games:

1. SDSU (10-1): @Omaha, @NDSU, P-FW USD, WIU
  2. Omaha (8-2): SDSU, P-FW, WIU, @NDSU, @ORU, @Denver
  3. P-FW (8-3): @Denver, @Omaha, @SDSU, UND, NDSU
  4. NDSU (7-4): ORU, SDSU, Omaha, @USD, @P-FW
  5. ORU (6-6): @NDSU, @UND, @WIU, Omaha
  6. USD (3-8): @WIU, Denver, @SDSU, NDSU, UND
  7. WIU (3-8): USD, @Omaha, ORU, @Denver, @SDSU
  8. UND (3-9): ORU, Denver, @P-FW, @USD
  9. Denver (2-9): P-FW, @USD, @UND, WIU, Omaha

I agree that it looks almost impossible to catch Fort Wayne so the 4/5 game looks certain. I would imagine the coaches will be scouting NDSU over the next few weeks since it seems so locked in but you never know what might happen...

Providing we end up 4 or 5, what is the scenario for second round matchups. Winner of 4/5 would play whom? Can someone share that to see who the 2nd round opponent would be if we can get out of round one?  Would that be the winner of 1/8?ThanksORU GRAD

The Good:

• Malone had his best game since BYU where he had (12 Pts, 7 Assists, 1 TO, 44FG%). He provided good minutes, was able to take some of the pressure off of Sam, but most importantly USD wasn't able to cheat off him on defense. If Malone keeps this recent streak up it will help the team immensely.
  • Kearns flipped the switch at halftime; scoring 11 of his 17 points in the second. His determination to get into the lane and not settle for outside shots set the tone on offense.
  • Very few players in the Summit (if any) can guard Obanor one on one. If he continues to develop his outside and mid-range shot... watch out. It wouldn't surprise me if he is in the running for POY next season.
  • Emir!!!  Great to see Emir rewarded for running the floor on that dunk.

The Bad:

• Nothing bad about a road conference win.

19 minutes ago, ORU GRAD said:

Providing we end up 4 or 5, what is the scenario for second round matchups. Winner of 4/5 would play whom? Can someone share that to see who the 2nd round opponent would be if we can get out of round one?  Would that be the winner of 1/8?ThanksORU GRAD

Yep, it would be South Dakota State, barring an upset by whoever is the 8 seed.

summittournamentbracket.gif