ORU at South Dakota

theeagleman5

The Golden Eagles travel to frigid Vermillion, SD on Sunday to face the Coyotes.....we edged SD at Mabee last month and they have lost 5 of their last 6 including 3 in a row.....TheEagleman thinks ORU has a shot in this game especially if E-Man is back in the line up....but just guessing that he's still not 100%.....so not counting on him.....expecting SD to be a slight home favorite.....this is an important game for tournament seeding....a win by the Good Guys gives us a real chance to contend for a top 5 seed.....we haven't won on the road since Omaha five weeks ago....like I said, I think ORU has a shot but hard to predict a win with our road record.....should be close but South Dakota prevails in a close one.....SD 88  ORU 84...…..:circle-logoi:

3 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

....this is an important game for tournament seeding....a win by the Good Guys gives us a real chance to contend for a top 5 seed.....

My annual take on tournament seeding:  if you can't finish 1st or 2nd to earn a day off before the semis, then here are the best spots instead to reach the finals, in order of preference:

• 3rd OR 6th (to avoid #1 SDSU in semis)

• 4th OR 5th (either one, makes no difference)

• 7th

• 8th

In other words:  if you can't finish 3rd, better off to finish 6th instead of 4th or 5th.

I tend to agree with you, OT.  Unfortunately,  if the season were to end today, we would be a #5 seed looking at the worst possible draw you can imagine for a conference tourney located in Sioux Falls.  NDSU, followed by SDSU.  The chances of surviving that one-two punch in hostile territory is somewhere between slim and none. 

12 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

I tend to agree with you, OT.  Unfortunately,  if the season were to end today, we would be a #5 seed looking at the worst possible draw you can imagine for a conference tourney located in Sioux Falls.  NDSU, followed by SDSU.  The chances of surviving that one-two punch in hostile territory is somewhere between slim and none. 

The only thing worse than NDSU in that first round match-up would be USD.

Oh, who am I kidding:  I don't like this team's chances against ANY opponent in Sioux Falls, even Denver (who, I am now guessing [and if they are smart], would apply full-court pressure the entire game).

22 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

.....should be close but South Dakota prevails in a close one.....SD 88  ORU 84...…..

This game opened this morning with ORU a 6.5 point underdog, and has already moved to -8, with the total dropping from 143.5 to 141.5.

Looks like the smart money doesn't think much of ORU's ability to score today.  Those numbers put the final outcome at approx. 75-67 in favor of the Yotes.

If Obanor can stay out of foul trouble, I think the total will easily be "over", but I'm afraid the spread is about right, if not a little conservative. 

I'm guessing something in the neighborhood of 80-70 in favor of USD.

No Eman again today......I'm beginning to become more concerned that this is something that is going to be LONG term......

Up 44-39 at the half.

Right now South Dakota is leading the Free Throw Attempts 10-7. If you follow Coach Mills post game interviews, you know the importance of ORU shooting more free throws than the other team and the outcome of the game......we shall see what the 2nd half brings.

Jeeminy Christmas, what an entertaining first half! (ESPN3 broadcast, in case you didn't know).

The intensity level on both sides is off the charts.  Hope the depleted ORU roster can maintain the high level of play in the second half.

19 minutes ago, ORUalum said:

1st half double-double for Obanor

How many games into his career did it take for full-time starter Albert Owens to get a double-double?  Over 120 games?

PART-TIME STARTER OBANOR ALREADY HAS HIS FOURTH, 26 GAMES INTO HIS FRESHMAN YEAR.

IN THE FIRST HALF.

That kid continues to impress; combination of strength, skills and ferocity is unlike anyone I have seen in an ORU uniform in a LONG time.

In other news:  the new South Dakota coach, who was ejected with two first-half "T's" in Tulsa, may be the biggest tool I have ever seen coach in this league.

And that includes Ron Hunter from IUPUI.

USD Coach at half time, “ We don’t have anybody to guard Obanor.”

Coach Mills, feed it to him all second half! 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

In other news:  the new South Dakota coach, who was ejected with two first-half "T's" in Tulsa, may be the biggest tool I have ever seen coach in this league.

Could that be one of the reasons Kerwin picked up so many DNPs at Grand Canyon when he obviously had the skills? 🤔

14-point ORU lead with 10 minutes left, but USD is in the bonus - got to run some clock on offense and try not to foul on defense!

Anyone know what happened to Adam’s call on the Franchise?  I watching the Game on ESPN3, just missed Adam’s call and could not find it on TuneIn app.

I'm listening on the franchise website, but it has been in and out all game.....Adam having major tech difficulties today up in Vermillion.

Kearns picking up the slack on the offensive end as Weaver appears to have left his game in the locker room at halftime.

Every minute spent with Saunders on the floor is an invitation to disaster.

Ahmedic with his best minutes in weeks.

ORU shooting 11-for-15 so far in the second half - THAT is how you get Capone.