theeagleman5

Denver at ORU

theeagleman5

Denver will be at Mabee tonight in a revenge game.....they whipped us in Colorado last month and it's time for some payback.....Pioneers stink on the road at 1-10 and are 7-16 overall bringing up the rear in the Summit....a win tonight would almost cement ORU's spot in the post season tournament....home team favored by 2.5 and O/U is 143.5.....we really need a win and TheEagleman likes the Good Guys tonight.....and Denver has lost their last 2 games giving up an average of 91 points....so I will go with ORU and the over......looking for a balanced scoring effort from E-Man, Obanor, Weaver and Kearns......ORU pulls away late with an 84-71 victory.....:tb-white:

ORUTerry

The Denver Pioneers visit the Mabee Center Thursday night. Denver is 7-16 and 2-7 in league play. They are 2-2 over their last four games:

Won at home against NDSU  (80-65)

Won at home against ORU  (74-58)

Lost on the road against Fort Wayne  (81-91)

Lost at home against SDSU  (82-92)

We need to win this game....

ORUTerry

Denver is arguably the most athletic team in the conference with maybe the exception of ORU. They never seem to meet expectations. 

ORUTerry

EMan is not playing tonight...

titansforever

Malone has come to play! 

theeagleman5

TheEagleman made a fairly sizeable wager on ORU to win -2.5 and also a small teaser with ORU and the Over....so far my win bet looking real good as ORU cruising late in  the first half....I probably would have made a much smaller bet had I known that E-man was out....but oh well.....life is good....Obanor leads with 13....ORU up 38-22 at half.....GO BLUE!!!...:tb-blue:

ORUIllini

Up 16 at the half!

You cannot give up that lead in the 2nd half at home against one of the bottom teams in the conference.

ORUIllini

78-65, a wins a win. Got up by 23 at one point, Denver started hitting 3’s, got it to single digits, but ORU hit free throws.

conference tourney here we come!

• Like 1

theeagleman5

Yeah...that was a must win and the Good Guys got it even without E-Man.....now it's up to South Dakota on Sunday afternoon for another winnable game.....the Coyotes just lost to Omaha at home in OT......😵

EagleManiac

Bad refs. Bad bad bad refs. 

ORUJason

I thought the refs were better tonight than the last couple games.  Definitely missed Kearns signalling for a time-out when he was squeezed against the baseline.  Another ref came over and after a conference, the timeout was awarded.  That would otherwise have been a turnover when the lead was only at 10 points.

theeagleman5

28 and 12 for Obanor…..nice....that kid is a player....:k_obanor:

• Like 1

TrueBlue82

I wasn’t able to listen to the broadcast last night.  What is the prognosis for EMan?  Pretty proud of the guys for stepping it up without him.

theeagleman5

That's a character win last night....especially after the brutal loss last Sat. vs. PFW and losing E-Man again....and What's with the refs?...it's one thing to get hosed on the road....I kinda expect that....but to get raked over at Mabee Center?.....that's just plain insulting....I didn't see the game but this is becoming a regular issue......😨

ORUJason

Eman reinjured his ankle but they hope he will be able to play on Saturday because they held him out yesterday.

titansforever

Obanor is incredible. I hope we can hang onto him. He is one of those foundation-building players who can do it all. And he's fearless. 

It was interesting that E-man's brother was on the court for Denver! A shame we didn't get to see both of them out there last night.

ORU82

The ESPN broadcast crew pointed out during the game that we lead the nation at the D-I level for the most minutes playing time of freshman.  In other words, NO TEAM at the D-I level utilizes or plays that many freshman that often this year as we do.  Hopefully we are laying a firm foundation for the years to come.  I too was impressed with how we fought and challenged during the game.  Go Golden Eagles!

ORUTerry

Denver is a talented team. Not sure why they don't play/perform better than they do. At times they looked out of sorts - but they are capable. Denver pressed us late in the game and we had trouble with it. I am shocked that league teams don't apply pressure against us more. Our zone looked good; the length on the perimeter is disruptive.

Obanor is a very nice player with lots of offensive options. He plays with a lot of effort and always seems to be around the ball.  Special player who could re-write some ORU records.

Also nice to see Weaver dribble to the basket and make a mid-range bucket instead of just taking a three-pointer. He is getting better and showing more effort on defense.

Kearns was steady as always; was off a bit on three-pointers - but some of those were shots taken late in the shot clock.

I hope Malone does not take his shooting success as a green light for future games.... that is one strange shot.

Smith is helpful in the middle to block shots and defend the interior. Too bad he is here for only one year - we need a big guy to replace him

Lacis is disruptive in the zone defense; his length causes problems for opponents. He went 3 for 4 from the field - all three pointers. I think he needs more playing time.

Jurgens seems to be adjusting to D-1 basketball; not so frenetic. Also being more selective on shots. Made a nice pass to Smith for a dunk. Is active of defense

Ahmedic provided some nice backup minutes for Smith; he sets the best high post picks - and is open almost every time for the pick & roll.... but they never pass him the ball.

ORUalum
1 hour ago, ORU82 said:

The ESPN broadcast crew pointed out during the game that we lead the nation at the D-I level for the most minutes playing time of freshman.  In other words, NO TEAM at the D-I level utilizes or plays that many freshman that often this year as we do.  Hopefully we are laying a firm foundation for the years to come.  

That only pays off if they stick around. See the class of Jeffries, White, Martin, and Crawford (and Crawford's scholly produced E-Man at semester when he left after 5 games).  How good could that staring 5 have been with a solid PG added???  Scott Sutton would still be coaching at ORU.

46 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

I hope Malone does not take his shooting success as a green light for future games.... that is one strange shot.

It's more of a heave/shot put than a classic jump shot.

Dr. Cornelius
3 hours ago, ORUalum said:

That only pays off if they stick around. See the class of Jeffries, White, Martin, and Crawford (and Crawford's scholly produced E-Man at semester when he left after 5 games).  How good could that staring 5 have been with a solid PG added???  Scott Sutton would still be coaching at ORU. 

True, player retention has to be priority number one but I think Obanor has WAY more upside than any of those players.

• Upvote 1

ORU82

Totally agree Dr. C!  I also think these guys will stay.  I could be wrong but I think they are starting to bond together as a family.  At least for Weaver he is here for basketball as well as for who we are and what we represent as a University.  Time will tell.

ORUParentLurker

Player retention in college basketball is a tricky beast.  I keep wondering what this team would look like if Javan and Jontray stuck around.  We would have had 4 our of 5 starters being vets instead of all these freshman.  I went and looked at the year they are both having and it's been pretty subpar.  Neither are starting.  Tray is playing more minutes than Javan but still less than last year here.  😞

In general, I would say its never a good idea to always look at the future in basketball.  Its a year to year sport and anything can happen.  That being said, we have a lot of positive signs leading into next season.  That is all potential.  Of course, when you get all that potential on campus somebody ends up unhappy and wants to leave.  That's the way it is nowadays. 

Old Titan
21 hours ago, ORUalum said:

Assuming that's not a rhetorical question, I would sincerely say maybe good enough to win 16-17 games and finish third or fourth in this year's mediocre Summit League?

No go-to shooters, no point guard, no size in the paint, etc.  Not to mention none of those guys played any defense to speak of (maybe Jeffries).

Simply put, these guys were not that great, either.  They were/are just better in some regards than the current bunch.

The depth of ORU's present state naturally leads to speculation re: individual talents here and there, without much regard for whether the whole would exceed the sum of the parts.

But success is ultimately about building a true TEAM, not just a fantasy league roster. 

It's no coincidence that the successful ORU teams we all remember with such fondness were well-oiled (and well-coached) machines with formidable combinations of stars AND role players working as one unit.

That requires a lot more than just a couple of guys who, given the right circumstances, occasionally score(d) 15 points in a game.

ORU GRAD

Unless someone is unhappy we only have one more Scholarship. Everyone is playing minutes so that is good. I would believe that if people are unhappy like last year, then leave because this has given four of the five freshmen a chance to have great playing time experience. As we saw with other freshmen such a Green and Tutt, that was a good thing for years. I hope Eman stays for his final season but who can tell. South Dakota State seems to do well in this department of retention. The grass is not always greener on the other side of the fence but Coach Mills and Staff recognize talent and even Smith although he doesn't score that much is good for this mix on the floor with great upside on the defensive side of the ball. D'Mauria Jones will add to this excellent mix of talent along with Kylen Milton and both bring excitement to the court. I would like to use that last Scholarship for a big man and maybe even a Senior Graduate. I don't know, maybe I am liking the Cool Aid, Ha.ORU GRAD