SD State at ORU

theeagleman5

The Jacks are 17-6 (7-1) and an 11 point favorite vs. the Good Guys tonight....this one has blow out written all over it.....if TheEagleman makes a play it's going to be on SDSU and the Over (152) on a teaser....but it's hard to play this game as we have no clue if E-Man will be back (doubtful) and Kearns may still not be 100%....even so, the Jacks are a heavy favorite and rightfully so....they whipped us up in Brookings and will likely do so again tonight at Mabee......Jacks 89  ORU 70....😥

2 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Refs wearing Jackrabbit underroos tonight.  Some of these calls and non-calls are rediculous. 

Agreed

Game was over when both Kearns and EMan left with 2 fouls fairly early in the first half...

Free throws were the difference. We made more field goals and the same 3-pointers. Out rebounded them and had fewer turnovers. 

They shot 19 (made 16) free throws and we shot 8 (made 4)....

The difference in the game was the FT disparity:

ORU made 33 FG's SDSU made 30

ORU made 10 3FG's SDSU made 10

ORU out rebounded SDSU 40 - 36

ORU had 10 Turnovers SDSU had 13

ORU had 18 Assists SDSU had 15

ORU attempted 8 free throws... SDSU attempted 19

51 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Free throws were the difference. We made more field goals and the same 3-pointers. Out rebounded them and had fewer turnovers. 

They shot 19 (made 16) free throws and we shot 8 (made 4)....

50 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

The difference in the game was the FT disparity:

ORU attempted 8 free throws... SDSU attempted 19

Have you guys ever met??? 😁

Hopefully, ORU never has to face Mike Damn again!  Eagles are 1-8 the last four years against him.  He has been a nightmare for ORU and everybody in the league.  On the plus side it was good to see E-man back and helping the team again.   If ORU stays healthy they should win the next two home games.

Whatever happened to home court advantage?....does ORU ever get a break at home from these Summit League refs?....appears not.....anyway....those final two FTs gave TheEagleman a cover to go with the Over.....would have rather seen a win by the home team but at least they battled to the end almost overcoming a 20 point deficit....also have seen enough of Daum….he's a beast in the Summit but will be a stiff in the NBA.....😄

I am not into "moral victories" but I am proud of how we battled back and did not give up.  The officiating was terrible but we can not hide behind that.  Coach Mills said in his postgame interview with Adam that the staff "simplified" the offense.  Not sure what exactly that means but I am impressed with how we played in the last half and especially the last 10 minutes of the game.  We have had some rough times the last several or more years but I think the future is bright.  As the announcing crew pointed out on the ESPN broadcast, we have a ton of freshman playing and SDSU has a lot of good seniors who have NCAA tourney experience.  My point is we battled all the way to the final buzzer and did not fold or quit.  It was a good learning and confidence building moment.  GO GOLDEN EAGLES! 

Observations:

• Losing both EMan and Kearns for a long stretch of the first half for foul trouble disrupted our flow and impacted the game.
  • Jenkins played physical against Kearns and our other guards; he was hand checking all game. Kearns could drive against him - especially to his right. We should have focused on that more.
  • We had the wrong guys taking shots again. Teams are leaving them open for a reason...
  • There was a time in the first part of the second half where we were making stops but could not make shots - I thought that was a pivotal time in the game. We also got (but missed) open shots in the first half. 
  • The team showed grit and determination in closing the gap late in the game.

The offense was definitely working.  Wide open shots were being missed.  The reality is we have two very good shooters plus Obanor who is actually a nice threat on the catch and shoot.  The other guys are so streaky and usually streaking the wrong direction.  If one other out of Carlos, Francis, Aiden or Kaelon could get to just slightly below average shooting this offense will be very dangerous.

While I completely agree about the FT disparity and voiced my displeasure within earshot of the referee, ORU lost last night because they twice got into the habit (for about 4 minutes or so each time) of shooting 3 pointers and jump shots (which they usually missed) rather than driving to the hole and making a bucket or drawing a foul.  

This is where the refs did change the game because Obanor was being regularly fouled when shooting near the bucket but the fouls weren’t being called.  This also occurred a few times with our guards when trying to drive to the basket.  Once the team realized they weren’t going to draw fouls, they started putting up jump shots instead (better to get off a shot rather than turnover the ball).

I still believe if Nzekwesi and Obanor would have continued to post up down low and shoot rather than passing back out, they would have drawn some fouls and made a lot more FTs.

SDSU does not overwhelm you.  They are fundamentally sound with a good basketball IQ and they have some shooters.  Their defense is solid and Daum makes a big difference defensively.  However, they are beatable if a team like ORU will work the offensive plan appropriately.

Overall I am still pleased with ORUs defense.

TheEagleman thinks we have a shot tomorrow vs. PFW....but Why are Obanor and E-Man not getting the calls at Mabee?....I can maybe understand on the road but to get hosed on your home floor (19 FTs to 6)….that's just unheard of....maybe Coach Mills needs to throw a hissy fit???...I know our crowd isn't very intimidating but there must be someone besides Jason getting on the zebras???...😵