ORU at Denver

Old Titan

No Weaver?...No Kearns?....No E-Man.....no chance to win.....Maniac was right.....easy Denver win......👎

Weaver did play....0-8 with 1 point.....a -23 while on the floor tonight.....might as well have stayed home in Tulsa and saved the plane fare......ORU falls 74-58 to the Pioneers.....:Denver:

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

Weaver did play....0-8 with 1 point.....might as well have stayed home in Tulsa and saved the plane fare......ORU trailing late by double digits.....:Denver:

Sorry, should of said absent as far as contributing to the scoring. KO continued his hot hand.

Nice production out of Lacis.

Just goes to show that every team in every sport is always at the mercy of injuries and timing.

a week off now to hopefully get some rest and healing...these next four games at home are critical to building some momentum the last month of the season.

• Upvote 1

I was there. We played great for about 6 minutes in the first half.  Denver is not good and we could have won this game even without our two most experienced players.  So frustrating because it's a missed opportunity.   

Onward and upward.  I think Kearns is back next Saturday.  He went through warmups today.  Eman was in the boot.  It was cool to see him visit with his brother but it would have been cooler if he played.  Btw, it was strange that the Denver PA announcer pronounces Nzekwasi differently than our announcers.

• Upvote 1

Didn’t get to watch/listen, but it sounds like we hung around more than I was expecting. I agree with the above, easy W if we aren’t missing two key pieces, but that’s how the game goes sometimes. Having Sam back will be great, did Adam mention Eman’s status tonight? 

9 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Btw, it was strange that the Denver PA announcer pronounces Nzekwasi differently than our announcers.

Interesting. I might be making this up, but it seems like I remember our announcers switching pronunciations several games into Emans freshman season. I would bet our guys have it right. 

17 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Denver is not good and we could have won this game even without our two most experienced players.  So frustrating because it's a missed opportunity. 

I agree - with either EMan or Sam back this game is a lot different.

13 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Weaver did play....0-8 with 1 point.....a -23 while on the floor tonight.....might as well have stayed home in Tulsa and saved the plane fare.

If Weaver is going to be afforded a starting spot and 30-ish minutes a game as a freshman, he's got to toughen up regardless of the opponent or the setting.

Scoring just one more point than a dead man (when two of your leading scorers are out of the line-up) is pathetic.

With Eman and Kearns out, Mills doesn't have much of a choice.  He has to play Weaver.  Weaver and Obanor are the reason we beat USD last Thursday.  Weaver is going to be inconsistent because he is a freshman, but prior to the Denver game I believe he was averaging 45% from 3 point range which was 2nd best in the conference.  Weaver will just continue to get better and better.  It would help if he could put some muscle on his frame so he could be more of a physical force.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ORUJason said:

With Eman and Kearns out, Mills doesn't have much of a choice.  He has to play Weaver.  Weaver and Obanor are the reason we beat USD last Thursday.  Weaver is going to be inconsistent because he is a freshman, but prior to the Denver game I believe he was averaging 45% from 3 point range which was 2nd best in the conference.  Weaver will just continue to get better and better.  It would help if he could put some muscle on his frame so he could be more of a physical force.

Just Saturday night, comparisons were being made between Weaver & Obanor vs. Green & Tutt in their first years.

In 30+ games their freshmen year, Caleb had 5 games in single-figures, Ken had 3, almost all involving limited minutes due to injury, illness, foul trouble, or not being needed in a blowout.

Neither had anything resembling a 1-point outing in 25+ minutes as a starter when their contribution was so sorely needed.

I'm not saying Weaver might not become a solid player.  And I'm not saying he needs to score 20+ a night.

But, his team desperately needs him to produce as much as possible right NOW; and this far into the schedule, it's time for him to gut it out (as Obanor appears to be doing).

That is a true freshman for you (Weaver) 24 points one game and then one the next.  That is what freshman do so up and down.  He will be a good player but it is hard to compare him to Ken Tutt or Caleb Green because those guys are like top ten ORU players of all time.  Weaver is learning to not just threes but drive and score inside, which will make him a more complete player.

15 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

That is a true freshman for you (Weaver) 24 points one game and then one the next.  That is what freshman do so up and down.  He will be a good player but it is hard to compare him to Ken Tutt or Caleb Green because those guys are like top ten ORU players of all time.  Weaver is learning to not just threes but drive and score inside, which will make him a more complete player.

Back to my original point:  if he's needed as a starter right now, and is getting so many minutes, he HAS to find a way to score to earn his keep:  post up a smaller guard on a switch, hit the offensive glass for a stick-back, get to the free throw line on a drive to the paint.

He CAN'T just sit out on the wing launching threes, hoping he's "on" that night, and settle for ONE point in twenty-some-odd minutes of play.

That's what I really like about Obanor at this stage of his development:  he's finding different ways to contribute offensively, even on the road.  HE'S a freshman, and HE'S doing it; why can't the other freshman starter?

On 1/25/2019 at 9:33 AM, Old Titan said:

Back to my original point:  if he's needed as a starter right now, and is getting so many minutes, he HAS to find a way to score to earn his keep:  post up a smaller guard on a switch, hit the offensive glass for a stick-back, get to the free throw line on a drive to the paint.

He CAN'T just sit out on the wing launching threes, hoping he's "on" that night, and settle for ONE point in twenty-some-odd minutes of play.

That's what I really like about Obanor at this stage of his development:  he's finding different ways to contribute offensively, even on the road.  HE'S a freshman, and HE'S doing it; why can't the other freshman starter?

I understand what you are saying but they are in different positions.  Kevin is a lot more physically developed and arrived last January.  Weaver got here in August.  I actually think he's doing a nice job of filling a role.  His role right now is to space the floor and shoot 3s.  Unfortunately, when you don't have Eman or Sam on the court that role is pretty worthless with nobody to break down the defense and kick the ball out.

• Like 1