ORU vs. South Dakota

ORUTerry

ORU hosts South Dakota on Thursday night. The Coyotes are coming off an impressive win over Fort Wayne 87 to 73. They are 8-9 on the season and 2-2 in league play. Three of their four conference games have been on the road:  lost at NDSU (65 to 71), won at Denver on a last second layup (71 to 70) and lost at SDSU (61 to 79) in a rivalry game.

This is a big game for ORU in terms of where the Golden Eagles will end up in the conference standings. It is imperative for us to defend our home court.

This game may tell us more about this ORU team than any other conference match-up to date.

i thought ORU would be 2-3 in conference play at this point; they’re instead 3-2 after their surprising win at Omaha.  Regardless, this game has had “toss up” written all over it for quite a while  

Who wants it more?

Should be interesting. At least, it better be!  LOL. 

Kearns is a key to ORU winning this game...any word on his availability vs. SD???....🤕

USD is down to 7 eligible players (similar to the 2009-10 ORU team led by DoMo and Craion) unless their coach chooses to burn a redshirt. They have been led by current Summit Player of the Week Stanley Umude a 6'6" Sophomore guard from San Antonio. Umude can score from everywhere... if he gets going it could be a long night. ORU does seem to have a height advantage in the post so I assume we would try to play inside out.

Sam's availability is a BIG factor in this game. Coach Patterson made some good points on the Coaches Show that turnovers are the main factor limiting this team (worst in the conference at 21.8... 8th place team Denver with 20.4). ORU is the best rebounding team in the conference (top 150 in offensive rebounds... Denver is in 2nd at 236) but that is negated by all the empty possessions.

11 hours ago, ORUTerry said:

Limit turnover and make free throws....

You want a lot, my friend....TheEagleman doesn't see either of the above happening especially if ORU is without PG Kearns.....this is a very important game for the Golden Eagles....Students are back so that should increase attendance by 50-55.....gotta get a win....hard to make a prediction until we know the availability of Kearns.....☠️

Early Vegas line has South Dakota -1.5, with just a 137 total.

I really have no clue who's going to win this one, but either way I LOVE the "over".

The freshmen re-emerge at home; Weaver and Obanor both with 15+.  Should be a tight game throughout; I'll throw a proverbial dart and take a guess:  ORU 79, USD 73.

GAME DAY......TheEagleman has been going back and forth all week on this one....tough call without knowing if Kearns will be available tonight....in the absence of any concrete info....I have to assume that he won't play....that makes this game very tough to call....very impressed that the Coyotes beat IPFW after the Dons crushed ORU by 25....we really need a win at home tonight because at Denver on Sunday is no picnic....the Pioneers slapped NDSU around last night so they aren't going to roll over against ORU.....I agree with OT that the O/U of 137 is surprisingly low.....only 131 if I tease with ORU to win which is what I will do.....should be a close one at Mabee but hopefully the Good Guys can wear down the shorthanded Coyotes......ORU pulls it out by 81-76....GO BLUE!!!....:tb-blue:

Let's hope that Sam is healthy and can play against South Dakota. We need his ball handling and decision-making on the court.

Here is a link to the SD Coyotes stats:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/south-dakota/2019.html

Through four conference games:

PPG:   71.0

FG%:  45.4%

3-pt%:  39.8%

FT%:   70.5%

Rebs:  negative 3.75 margin

Turnovers:   11.5

Top players (conference stats) are:

Umude (6'6" - So):  20.5 ppg; 50% FG and 28.6% from 3-pt (4/14) with 7.8 rebs, 1.8 assists and 1.5 blocks

Simpson  (6'1" - Jr):  15.8 ppg; 37% FG and 47.6% from 3-pt (10/21) with 4.0 rebs, 3.8 assists and 2.8 turnovers

Burch-Manning (6'6" - Jr):  15.0 ppg; 52% FG and 50% from 3-pt (3/6) with 4.0 rebs, 1.5 assists and 1.5 turnovers

Peterson  (6'4" - So):  9.8 ppg; 47% FG and 30% 3-pt (3/10) with 6.3 rebs, 2.8 assists and 2.0 turnovers

Thanks to look for tonight:

• Who is on the bench (Ken Milton or D'Mauria Jones)
  • Is Sam Kearns dressed out and playing... and is he fully healed
  • How much pressure defense does South Dakota use against our young/thin backcourt
  • How do our big guys react to the double team; can they limit turnovers and make the right pass

8 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Things to look for tonight:

• Who is on the bench (Ken Milton or D'Mauria Jones)
  • Is Sam Kearns dressed out and playing... and is he fully healed
  • How much pressure defense does South Dakota use against our young/thin backcourt
  • How do our big guys react to the double team; can they limit turnovers and make the right pass

I will be there tonight and 

1.  I hope to see D'Mauria Jones on the bench. 2.  I hope Sam is on the court. 3. The pressure defense I hope has been worked on this week and we see a complete change without turnovers. 4. If this happens, I believe we can get this ship back on target and win some games this year in the conference. ( Possibly 8-8) 

ORU GRAD