ORU at SO. DAKOTA STATE

theeagleman5

Tough times for ORU at PG which showed in the rout at IPFW.....can't expect much of a different result at Brookings tomorrow afternoon....the Jacks took care of Denver last night and are tied for 2nd in the Summit at 3-1.....Daum and Co. will be too much to handle for the Golden Eagles.....SDSU  88  ORU 66......😓

SDSU beat Denver 78 to 66 Thursday night.

Stats:

FG%:  37.9 for Denver and 53.3 for SDSU

3-pt%:  48.0 (12/25) for Denver and 44.0 (11/25) for SDSU

FT%:  66.7 (4/6) for Denver and 82.6 (19/23) for SDSU

Rebs:  32 for Denver vs 30 for SDSU

Turnovers:  13 for Denver vs. 14 for SDSU

Daum had 10 points on 2 for 8 shooting (0/4 from 3-pt) and 6/7 from the charity stripe. Denver must have played him physical and made him shoot foul shots.

As mentioned at the end of the IPFW thread:  SDSU 90-ish, ORU 68-ish.

Daum finishes in the neighborhood of 30 and 10.  He's always played well against ORU, since there's never been anyone on the roster who could follow him inside and out.  Packing the zone simply sends him out on the perimeter to bomb from 3.

ORU suffers 15 or so turnovers again, unless Kearns plays.

And when it's all said and done, ORU will sit at 3-2, just like last season.  Next few games will tell us more about this team than the last 5 games did playing opposite ends of the Summit spectrum.

Which might mean the difference between 3rd or 4th place, and the cellar.

12 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

SDSU beat Denver 78 to 66 Thursday night.

Daum had 10 points on 2 for 8 shooting (0/4 from 3-pt) and 6/7 from the charity stripe. Denver must have played him physical and made him shoot foul shots.

He only played 28 minutes; no doubt saving him for the less-than-48-hours turnaround Saturday afternoon.

Yeah....not sure who can cover Daum today....could be a long afternoon for ORU in Brookings especially without our top PG Kearns.....won't be pretty so TheEagleman won't likely watch....got stuff to do anyway......early line this morning was SDSU -16.5 and O/U 153.5...so I jumped on those with a teaser giving me six points on both.....taking the Jacks and the Over....should be an easy win for the home team......only way ORU can stay close is if we get outstanding performances from E-Man, Obanor and Weaver.....gotta shoot well and protect the ball....I just can't see it happening especially for the 2nd half of a trip up North where it's cold and snowy.....Jacks by 20...maybe more.....😨

ORU thumped 84-65....had to sweat it down to the final seconds but a very large pay day for TheEagleman even though it's sad to see the Good Guys take it on the chin...but as mentioned above this one was very predictable....hopefully we can get Kearns back next week and will be much more competitive vs. South Dakota and Denver next week.....E-Man had a nice game and Jurgens chipped in with Weaver but too little too late.....can't fall behind by 18 in the first 10 minutes and expect to have a shot.....👎

Well, the worst two road games are behind us. I don't think anyone was surprised by the outcomes. I doubt we can beat IPFW or SDSU at home but I think the games will be much closer. Now that we've played 5 conference games, I've had a few observations. We need Sam back, Lacis and Jurgens (encouraged by his shooting tonight) had 12 of our 19 turnovers. Obanor and Malone hardly played in the second half, not sure why. E-man with 14 points, 18 boards, and 3 blocks(he has 10 blocks in the last 5 games). I think our conference ceiling is 3rd place (South Dakota and Omaha being right there with us). Denver is worse then expected, NDSU looks to be having a down year, North Dakota is new to the conference but has won a couple games and Western Illinois is right where they usually are, at the bottom. I think E-man is a lock for 1st team all conference and should be the POY next year if we can convince him to stay.

Speaking of next year, I perused the SDSU forum and there are several fans that think another conference title will get their coach a new job and that David Jenkins would/could transfer out. I think we have a good chance of being top 2 or 3 next year regardless of who is coaching SDSU. We have two of the best freshman in the conference, a returning point guard with experience, a young point guard in Milton or Abmas(hopefully both) and a gaping hole at Center that needs to be filled with a long, rangy big man similar to Kerwin. I'm optimistic about the future and hey, maybe we catch SDSU or IPFW on an off night in the tourney and make a run this year.

Also, I hadn't seen anyone post this but Adam mentioned on his radio coverage the other night that Coach Mills doesn't wear ties when he coaches because he heard that it allows 13% ( I believe was the number) less blood to the brain. I figured Old Titan would like to hear that 😄

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Also, I hadn't seen anyone post this but Adam mentioned on his radio coverage the other night that Coach Mills doesn't wear ties when he coaches because he heard that it allows 13% ( I believe was the number) less blood to the brain. I figured Old Titan would like to hear that 😄

😄

giphy.gif

These next two games will go a long way towards determining where ORU will end up in the Summit.

South Dakota comes in without several of their key players

USD Works To Survive String Of Injuries

VERMILLION — Todd Lee isn’t going to pull any punches.

It’s “tough sledding” right now for his South Dakota men’s basketball team, which has been ravaged by injuries this season.

And they’ve come in droves for the Coyotes.

They began the season — the first in the Lee era — without leading scorer Matt Mooney, who transferred to Texas Tech. Then came news that senior Tyler Hagedorn, an all-conference player, would miss the entire season with injury.

Then came news that senior Trey Burch-Manning, another all-conference standout, would be out indefinitely with a stress fracture in his foot. Adding to that, senior Logan Power also suffered a stress fracture in a foot.

Collectively, the injuries have taken their toll on the Coyotes (7-9, 1-2)...

The next three games are huge.  (USD, at Denver, NDSU). All games that we SHOULD win.   We need to sweep to have a legitimate chance of an upper division finish.  And then we get FW and SDSU at home....

2 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Is this real or is this a joke

6 hours ago, EagleManiac said:

Is this real or is this a joke

Adam talked about it like it was a real thing. Every coach has their superstitions I guess.

7 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Adam talked about it like it was a real thing. Every coach has their superstitions I guess.

That’s definitely an interesting superstition. I will admit, the lack of a tie has always kinda bothered me too. I suppose it could be far worse than refusing to wear a tie though. 

18 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

If that's TRULY his theory (and not just a weak excuse, or a joke), I would submit that these guys somehow managed to get by on 87% blood flow:

5bb63171220000bb01dcb615.jpeg?ops=scalef

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjf1PiKPqhYnPQYaaVlsU

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVClNXxeNA9remfn32aH5

And, that routinely NOT wearing a tie does not always result in positive blood flow:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_qXLUltIJxUTtbIJsJzU

Finally, crap like this reminds me of the parable from The Book of Peanuts about Charlie Brown gritting his teeth to prevent strikeouts, when it was pretty obvious from his loopy swing that his problems at the plate did not lie in his mouth.

A coach can eschew suits, ties, sport coats, shirts, pants, etc. and the outcome will be no different if his team can't/won't take care of the ball, keep from fouling, play tough defense, or make free throws.

My thing about wearing ties on the sideline as a coach at ORU is this:  you better have some street cred to pull off the casual look, like being a former star player, or a Hall of Fame coach who has earned the right to wear whatever he wants.

But a first-time coach, with barely any playing or coaching credentials, at a private Christian school in a metropolitan setting in the South, a school that lives (and reportedly recruits) by an honor code?

I frankly think he and his entire staff should be wearing their Sunday finest.

Win 20 games a couple of times, and THEN lose the tie.  But not before.

• Upvote 1