ORU vs. Western Illinois

ORUTerry

The Golden Eagles take on Western Illinois Saturday evening. The Leathernecks are 6-9 for the season and 1-1 in conference play. They got shellacked 58-100 by SDSU and bounced back against Denver 78-60.

The Leathernecks stats per game:

FG%:      44.0%

3-pt%:    38.1%

FT%:       73.7%

Rebs:      561 to 566  (-5)

Assists:   11.1

Turnovers:  12.5

Webster (6'0") is their primary scorer at 18.1 ppg (44.2% fg and 38.3% 3-pt) with 4.9 rebs, 3.5 assists and 1.6 turnovers

Other contributors:

Johnson (6'5") with 11.8 ppg (45.1% fg and  27.3% 3-pt) with 5.9 rebs, 1.4 assists and 2.1 turnovers  (His stats in conference play are way off)

Duff (6'1") with 10.4 ppg (37.6% fg and 39.1% 3-pt) with 3.0 rebs, 1.9 assists and 1.4 turnovers

Pyle (6'7") with 9.0 ppg (44.6% fg and 45.0% 3-pt) with 3.8 rebs, 1.6 assists and 1.0 turnovers

Gilbeck (6'11") with 8.9 ppg (60.0% fg) with 8.4 rebs, 3.7 blocks and 2.8 turnovers

Link to stats:     https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/western-illinois/2019.html

Big game tonight for ORU as this one could set the tone for the rest of the season...Good Guys are a 2.5 point favorite and need to defend the home court vs. a very mediocre Western Illinois team....this is a game we need to keep the Mojo going....TheEagleman feels ORU is finally on the right track and primed for a big effort tonight....O/U is 141.5 so I will tease the Golden Eagles with the over and take the home team straight up to win also....we have a lot of weapons now...Expecting big things again from E-man, Obanor and Weaver...Kearns and Smith looking good too...ORU pulls away to an 85-71 victory to stay undefeated in Summit play....🤩:shield-logo:🤑

• Like 1

Gilbeck is a 7-footer who is averaging close to 4 blocks per game. WIU also has a 6’10” player (Hughes) - not sure if they play them together. 

Will be interesting to see if Western Illinois tries a zone defense to control our inside game. I’m also waiting for opponents to use a pressure defense against us - especially when we only have one guard on the floor. 

Waching college basketball on TV this afternoon (also attended a KU game at Allen Fieldhouse last Saturday) and I’m struck by the “home cooking” the officials typically give the home team. Very apparent. The KU fans around me last week commented about it, but thought it was appropriate. In all my years of watching ORU games at the Mabee Center, I can remember just a few examples of tilted refereeing. 

TU fans still talk about what they perceived was home-cooking in their 2000 loss in the Mabee Center (Nate Binum’s miracle three). 

Some literally think there was some sort of “Mid-Con fix” in that game. If they only knew how many times those same refs were terrible for ORU, both home and away in league play. 

Good Guys crushing WIU at half, 48-26.....this team is playing with confidence and heart...very impressive 56% shooting and 70% from the 3 pt line....Obanor with 11, Lacis 9 and Smith 8......this is a total blowout......let's see if ORU can finish this off in style.....:tb-white:

Sam Kearns might be done for the night....looks like he hurt his shoulder diving for a loose ball

Edited by ORUPucks
Spelng

Luckily Sam’s injury didn’t seem to be too serious.

The trainer worked with him on the bench but never went to the locker room and came back towards the end of the half.

Gilbeck (Western’s center) must have at least 8-10 blocks. I don’t think we will face a more talented defensive post player for the rest of the year.

He’s listed with only 5.  That is way too low. 

Kearns did not start the second half. 

ORU rolls 82-63.....Obanor leads with 19....E-Man and Lacis both with a dozen.....E-Man also had a dozen boards for a double double.....this is a big victory for the Good Guys....winning a game they were supposed to win.....TheEagleman is very impressed.....3-0 and first place in the Summit....but next week IPFW and SDSU will be much tougher tests.....should be fun.....:tb-blue:

Obanor is a real keeper.....this kid can ball.....7-12 shooting for 19 points and 6 rebounds in just 24 minutes.....along with DJ Weaver, ORU has a couple of very good young players.....Lacis also looked very strong tonight with 12 on 4-5 shooting from the 3 point line....all of a sudden this season is looking a little more promising at 7-11 (3-0)…..ORU can surely finish in the Top 5 of the Summit......:shield-logo:

Very good team win. If the outside shooting keeps up like that ORU has a chance to be better than expected.

I was also encouraged by the crowd - not the numbers but how vocal people were in response to various calls and plays. I don’t remember that happening too often the past few seasons.

Yes....absolutely a total team win as all 11 players who entered the game scored.....six guys with 8 or more points and ORU outrebounds WIU 44-27 which shows the aggression of the Good Guys tonight....obviously the next couple road games will be huge tests for this young team....not sure ORU can win either one at Fort Wayne or Brookings but hopefully we can make it interesting....GO BLUE!!!....😎

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

😄

@vcboy2000 was that you giving it to the ref from the student section?

I was giving it to the refs and the WIU players all night and loved every minute of it! 😁

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 4

Nice win by the good guys. We put them away in the first half and they were never in the game from there. Our first team never played fully together from there - it was various lineups.  

WIU’s big guy (Gilbeck) had a lot of blocked shots - especially against EMan. They had trouble with our zone most of the time our first unit was in the game. Our perimeter shooting continues to be good - which could keep teams from utilizing a zone defense against us. 

WIU double teamed EMan most of the game - I guess they were determined to not let him beat them.