Who's new to ORU?

74Titan

My wife and watched the (embarrassing) women's game last night. We noticed a rather tall (6' plus) on the end of the bench, in street clothes. Is she a regular or grad transfer? by her looks she appears to be older than a freshman. Qualified update is appreciated. The girls desperately need height/mobility in the middle, something Maria had both of and are missed.

7 hours ago, 74Titan said:

My wife and watched the (embarrassing) women's game last night. We noticed a rather tall (6' plus) on the end of the bench, in street clothes. Is she a regular or grad transfer? by her looks she appears to be older than a freshman. Qualified update is appreciated. The girls desperately need height/mobility in the middle, something Maria had both of and are missed.

Does she have blond hair?  If she does then I believe I have a really good idea who she is.  I didn't watch the game, well, except for the last minute or so on my phone and the screen was really small and I didn't look at the bench, so that's why I ask.  I won't say that what I possibly know is qualified but I have a strong feeling about knowing who she is if she has blonde hair.

Yes, she has blonde hair. My wife and I saw her last night at the men's game,. She was sitting by herself until Rylie (Torrey) came over to her.

Edited by 74Titan
typo

Thanks for confirming.  I found the replay of the game on the portal where ORU games are streamed online and scanned through it out of curiosity and I saw her on the bench, and it's definitely who I thought it might be.  It's Jentry Holt, she played for three seasons at Oklahoma State, she's listed on their roster from two seasons ago (2017-18) as a 6-3 forward, that was her last season there, she's listed then as a junior.  I've been able to confirm that she graduated from OSU in December and has one season of eligibility remaining, so she would be considered a graduate transfer and is eligible immediately and won't have to sit out a year, although I expect that maybe she's enrolled at ORU for the spring semester this year but won't play this season and will wait to play for ORU next season. 

I saw her play a few times on television when OSU played games on the Fox regional network during her career there and she's got some decent skills, what I remember most is how she would always give full effort when she ran the court, and she was pretty good around the basket, rebounding and playing in close to the hoop offensively.  She was definitely a hustle player and gave maximum effort when she was out there from what I remember.  She played at Elgin High School in Oklahoma, she was one of the best players in the state when she was there and I know she got attention from OSU pretty early on and committed to them early, like her sophomore year or something, I can't remember exactly, and then she went on and became All-State at Elgin.  At OSU she was stuck behind Kaylee Jensen and a couple of other standout players at her positions (forward/center) and didn't play a ton, but she was a decent player when she was on the court from what I recall, and obviously she played at a power conference school and a winning program so she brings a lot, including mobility in the post which you pointed out we need.  

Honestly we need all the help we can get, and it's almost like the team takes one step forward and then a step back, like they did in non-conference, which was up and down, and like they did this week, I mean they go to Omaha and win on Sunday and then they come home and lay an egg against UND the other night.  I know there's a long way to go in conference with 14 regular season games left but you have to win those types of games at home, the UND type of games, and then hope to at least split on the road, but with this team I'm not sure what to expect.  Consistency hasn't been their strength so far.  It's discouraging to see that the program continues to struggle with inconsistency and mediocrity in terms of results, and that's been the way that it's been for a few years now.  And no conference championships or even close to any since we returned to this conference, so it's discouraging.

Thank you BlueGold for your informative response. Although I didn't know her height, I noticed Jentry standing next to Coach Kyron (Stokes). She wasn't much shorter than Kyron, who has told me that he's 6'4 1/2 ". That being said height is one thing coaching can't teach. Having a tall, mobile center who defends and passes well elevates any team with other positions well stocked, as does ORU. Again, thank you for the update.

Sure, happy to be able to confirm who it was for you and to tell you a little about her.  Hopefully I haven't been turned off by the losing by then to see if she actually plays for the team and how she will end up doing.  I'm tired of the losing across the athletic department as a whole, I mean we just came off one of the worst fall sports seasons in recent memory where not a single fall sports team earned a bid to a conference tournament, oh, except men's and women's cross country, but they both qualified automatically.  And they both finished dead last.  Men's and women's soccer and volleyball didn't qualify and volleyball had their worst season record since 1992.  And now there's basketball, with both teams middling along and average to below average at best.  Since we've been back in this conference there's been a major drought of championships of any kind, except for really baseball.  I guess results don't really matter so much to the people at the top, but as for me, I like winning, and I think that results matter and should matter, especially when you're paying people to supposedly produce winning teams and to run a winning department.  Sorry for getting off on a tangent somewhat.  Hopefully the future holds better things for this, my alma mater.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Totally agree BlueGold, most of our teams are mediocre at best and this is with coaching staffs that have been in place for quite a while.  There simply is no excuse to justify most of these teams performances other than coaching and the athletic department giving all of them passes.  I was going to discuss this very subject but have held off posting.  However, I am glad that I am not the only one who feels this way.  It is time that the powers that be in the athletic department start to actually manage our programs and expect more than what we have been getting.  BTW, I too watched the ladies the other night play North Dakota and was fed up with both the playing and the coaching.  It was uninspired if not embarrassing.  

Now that the (tallest) blonde on the bench has been confirmed to be Jentry Holt, when will she be added to the official roster? I know that she's sitting this semester out to get a full remaining season, but wouldn't she be added to the current roster as a redshirt? I'm told that Jentry is already making an impact in practice, making the other post players work hard. But we must wait until next season to see her in action. 

On 1/8/2019 at 4:26 PM, 74Titan said:

Now that the (tallest) blonde on the bench has been confirmed to be Jentry Holt, when will she be added to the official roster? I know that she's sitting this semester out to get a full remaining season, but wouldn't she be added to the current roster as a redshirt? I'm told that Jentry is already making an impact in practice, making the other post players work hard. But we must wait until next season to see her in action. 

Here's the link to the official release on Jentry Holt joining the women's basketball program, it came out today:

Jentry Holt Joins Women’s Basketball Roster

There's this in the release regarding the timing of her playing for ORU:  

[Extract]

'Although Holt is immediately eligible to compete, she will sit out the remainder of the 2018-19 season and will have a full year of eligibility for the 2019-20 season.'

I don't see her on the roster at this point, I assume they aren't adding her until the roster turns over for next season.  I'm pretty sure she isn't treated like a redshirt since she's a graduate transfer, except that she's eligible to practice with the team. 

Thank you BlueGold for the update. I, too, saw the release, confirming Jentry's status. I've been told she's already practicing with the team, making others better from playing against her. It would be nice to recruit-and sign-someone of Jentry's caliber straight out of high school, rather than for just one (appreciated) season.