North Dakota at ORU

theeagleman5

They came out of halftime with the lead and increased it until they lost momentum. I loved the 3 points by D.J. Weaver and Obanor at the end to put the game away. Great Win for the good guys. I hope to get to the game on Saturday night. 😎 The big win at Ft. Wayne should shake up the fans in the Dakotas.

ORU GRAD

SDSU undefeated Summit Season?....uh, not......Jacks not just beaten but WHIPPED in Fort Wayne tonight.....oh, TheEagleman still thinks they are the heavy favorite to win the Summit but they are clearly not invincible.....ORU will see them next week up in Brookings....hope the Jacks still aren't angry....:sdsu:(we sucked tonight)

38 minutes ago, ORU GRAD said:

DwCHWzgX4AULvut.jpg:large

Can I jinx a team, or can I?  LOL 

But, before anyone starts thinking this shocking outcome suggests SDSU is weaker than expected, I propose that it actually says more about IPFW’s strength.

i was really impressed with IPFW’s two wins in 24 hours on the road last week.

This just confirms it:  the Dons are legit.

Konchar is a good player who makes the players around him better. I’m glad he is a senior. 

Good win for the Eagles last night! It is encouraging to see the team maturing and progressing. Our defense has really improved although there is more work to do. I didn't see us give up too many easy points under the bucket or with lay ups.I was really impressed with Emmanuel and Obanor and also Weaver. Emmanuel and Obanor have the ability to take over and control the game and Weaver is getting there.. If these 3 guys can play consistently  at a high level and Kearns, Lacis, Jurgens Sanders ,Smith and Malone play steady and minimize turnovers we will tough in our conference. Look at what can happen when you only commit 11 turnovers! Also 62% shooting from the field and 74% free throw shooting. It seems the good teams are usually solid on the fundamentals. I was also impressed that when ND made a run in the 2nd half and cut into our big lead we didn't fold but amped up our game and got the W! Promising signs for this young team!

We played a one guard (Kearns) set for a lot of the game. I think that North Dakota made their run when we went with three guards (Saunders, Malone and Jurgens) in the second half. The length on the perimeter of the zone (Lacis and Weaver) is disruptive. 

ND was effective at times penetrating the zone and dishing off to a player under the basket - or going “high-low” to get good looks. We will need to work on that. 

Announced attendance 2,006...looked on TV more like 206......I know the weather wasn't good.....but still.....very sad....oh well, TheEagleman will take the win regardless of how many people watched in person....I enjoyed it on the broadcast.....🤓

11 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

Announced attendance 2,006...looked on TV more like 206......I know the weather wasn't good.....but still.....very sad....oh well, TheEagleman will take the win regardless of how many people watched in person....I enjoyed it on the broadcast.....🤓

Not sure what you're expecting, or when. 

College basketball attendance is in a decline nationally, and has plummeted in Oklahoma the past decade because of the Thunder.

Throw in a team that's on course to lose 60 games over three seasons, with students gone and the roads slick, and that's what you get on a rainy Thursday night vs. sub-.500, D1 newbie North Dakota.

I really enjoyed the UND game Thursday night because this is the first time I remember in the last 2 years (against D-1 competition) that they really looked like a team.  It looks like the players understand their roles both defensively and offensively.

I am encouraged because up until this point it was difficult to see if the coaching staff was really developing players and taking this team where they needed to go. 

There is no question that (as ORUTerry mentioned) when Saunders and Malone are in the game together, the defensive effort falls off.  Being able to have taller defenders on the perimeter is clearly important to the success of the zone defense.  As was mentioned earlier by Old Titan, Kerwin Smith definitely alters shots near the basket and he is a key to the success of the zone defense as well.

With the challenges Coach Mills has dealt with, I believe he has recruited well and has brought in more talent than was on the team when Scott Sutton left.  I am also pleased to see the development of Emmanuel Nzekwesi.  In the past Emmanuel was an enigma.  He would have a great game with 20+ points and then the next week he wouldn't contribute very much offensively even though you could clearly see that he is very talented.  He seems to be much more consistent now and this coaching staff is getting more out of him than the previous regime.  

I recognize that UND is not going to finish at the top of the league this year, but the way they played on Thursday would make them competitive in every Summit League game this year.

As productive as Obanor and E-man were on Thursday, I was most impressed by Kearns running the show down the stretch. 

He has come light-years from where he was just a few weeks ago, when he was so bad on both ends of the floor that he temporarily lost his starting spot. 

He’s still too small to defend taller shooters on the perimeter, but putting longer guys like Lacis and Weaver out there with him has helped. 

Here’s hoping he can continue to help the team improve in the turnover and shot selection departments.  Those areas will be critical against better teams.