ORU at Omaha

theeagleman5

Kevin and Eman were a nice one two punch on the inside and then DJ Weaver hitting the three's.  It was a good game plan by coach, inside out.  ORU has a good chance to start 3-0 in conference play with the next two games at home.  They continue to improve this season after a rough start.

It's nice to see the impact that Kevin can have on a game down the stretch when he's on the floor. Can't help to wonder what could have been if he had not fouled out of the TU game. 

2 pleasant surprises from this game:

1. Hitting our free throws down the stretch. 

2. E-Man being assertive offensively at the end of the game. Coach said in the post game interview that they told Eman after the TU game that he can't wait for the ball to come to him. It won't get there. He has to go get it himself. 

Any road win is a good win.

Looking forward to catching a game at the Mabee Center on the home swing. 

• Thanks 1

One other thing:

Was it nostalgic for anybody else hearing the name Tutt on an ORU broadcast? 

I know he was on the other team, but hearing Adam say his name really made me miss those days. Ken was special player. I'll never forget that dagger of a three he put into Jayhawk Nation's heart at Allen Field House. I was sitting in their student section doing all I could to contain my exuberance after the hush went over the entire arena when that shot found the bottom of the net.  

TheEagleman  is very pleased with this opening road win in Summit play for quite a few reasons....nice to see a big game from E-Man with 28 points...that's huge if we want to have a shot to finish in the top half of the Summit....and seven 3's from Weaver are VERY encouraging....another strong game from Obanor….we need more of him....I totally agreed with OT's thoughts on the OVER and I ended up with a small play on that straight up and teased it with ORU (+14.5)….so that was two easy win bets today....and now the Golden Eagles come back home for two winnable game at Mabee vs. North Dakota and Western Illinois.....so a great final Sunday of 2018 with wins by the ORU Golden Eagles and the Philadelphia Eagles.....yipppeee!!!!….🤩

Our two freshmen seem to be finding their groove. 

Obanor scored 19 points (6 of 8 from the field and 7 of 7 from the free throw line)  in 22 minutes and grabbed 8 rebounds. He had 3 turnovers.

Weaver scored 21 points  - all behind the 3-point line (7 of 10) in 31 minutes while grabbing 3 rebounds and 1 block. He had 2 turnovers 

EMan filled up the stat sheet:

28 points on 12/19 shooting; was 4/7 from free throw line with 14 rebounds and 2 blocks in 36 minutes. He also had 5 turnovers 

Kearns scored 11 points on 3/9 shooting and 2/2 from free throw line with 4 rebounds. Most impressive was collecting 7 assists with zero(!) turnovers and 4 steals. 

47 minutes ago, ORUTerry said:

Our two freshmen seem to be finding their groove. 

Obanor scored 19 points (6 of 8 from the field and 7 of 7 from the free throw line)  in 22 minutes and grabbed 8 rebounds. He had 3 turnovers.

Weaver scored 21 points  - all behind the 3-point line (7 of 10) in 31 minutes while grabbing 3 rebounds and 1 block. He had 2 turnovers 

Add Milton to the mix, and there's a strong group of young players ready to bring ORU basketball back out of the doldrums.

19 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Add Milton to the mix, and there's a strong group of young players ready to bring ORU basketball back out of the doldrums.

JB, I'm not trying to pick on you here; this is something I've been meaning to post every time it comes up: 

I watched Milton scrimmage in October before his season-ending injury, and he frankly failed to impress.  He looked thick but pretty short, he was as wild as most incoming freshmen when it came to decision-making, and his perimeter shot was not a thing of beauty (he failed to make any of several attempts that I witnessed him rush through, during 30-45 minutes of play).  That was the day I found myself asking around about Malone (thinking he was Milton, based on his dominance), only to find that it was a walk-on from Wichita who was soundly out-playing the heralded freshman from Texas.

Which is not to say Milton might not be a solid contributor next year, but we have to keep in mind he will be coming off an injury, AND 18+ months removed from actual game competition, AND trying to adjust to the pace of the college game compared to high school.

I hope he comes along as quickly as Obanor and Weaver have this year, but I also hope ORU adds some other experienced point guard to the fold to run the show at least through the non-conference schedule next year, while Milton learns the ropes.

No offense taken, OT. 

My comments are not from first hand knowledge, but solely from past press-clippings - which (as you know) are only valued at the bottom of birdcages.  It's been SO long since we've had a quality PG, a guy's just got to have hope!

Verbal commit Max Abmas from Dallas Jesuit had 28 the other night... would be a good player for ORU.

I also assume the coaching staff will be looking at grad transfers.

I remember reading an observation on how Weaver appeared lost in an early game or scrimmage. Makes sense that the guys will need some adjustment time. He’s seemed to get up to speed quick. We can only hope Milton can do the same when he’s ready. Let’s not forget about RJ as well. 

Good game overall, would like to see the good guys keep their foot on the gas and not let the other team catch back up after half time. It seems to be a running problem, I remember it happening when Sutton was still coaching.                     Loved the play from the young guys! It’s been a while since I’ve been excited about freshman players. Also, anybody remember the last player to hit 7 threes in a game for ORU? I feel like maybe Moses Ehambe or Warren Niles had some outstanding shooting nights but Marchello Vealys game against Kansas was the last one to come to mind.

Eric Perry hit 8 or 9 three pointers in a game at the Mabee Center in the late 90's; I was at the game in Oakland when Chris Riouse hit his first 8 three pointers against the Grizzlies... I think he ended up going 9 for 10.

1 hour ago, vcboy2000 said:

I remember reading an observation on how Weaver appeared lost in an early game or scrimmage. Makes sense that the guys will need some adjustment time. He’s seemed to get up to speed quick. We can only hope Milton can do the same when he’s ready. Let’s not forget about RJ as well. 

That was me; I said at season-start that he would/should be red-shirted in any other program in America.

He's still a liability on defense, and I haven't noticed him rebounding or even trying to get to the rim, but in terms of a catch-and-shoot wing, he's been excellent lately.

But, once the word gets out on him, and teams start running someone with some length out to challenge him when he catches the ball, I'm curious to see how he reacts.

9 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

Verbal commit Max Abmas from Dallas Jesuit had 28 the other night... would be a good player for ORU.

I also assume the coaching staff will be looking at grad transfers.

Why didn't this guy sign in November?

Waiting/hoping for better offers?

4 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Good game overall, would like to see the good guys keep their foot on the gas and not let the other team catch back up after half time. It seems to be a running problem, I remember it happening when Sutton was still coaching.                    

I was disappointed Mills did not call a timeout during Omaha's run to start the second half.  It was obvious the Mavs came out with some added intensity, particularly on the boards.  Obanor helped right the ship when he entered the game, but by then the momentum had shifted and the damage was done. 

Free throws and timely shooting from Weaver and E-Man were the difference down the stretch.  The only free throw that ORU missed in the second half was the front end of the 1-and-1 with 2.9 seconds to go.

4 hours ago, Eaglefan 21 said:

Also, anybody remember the last player to hit 7 threes in a game for ORU? I feel like maybe Moses Ehambe or Warren Niles had some outstanding shooting nights but Marchello Vealys game against Kansas was the last one to come to mind.

I think the VERY under-appreciated Robert Jarvis had a couple of games like that from 2008 to 2010; perhaps his junior year at Oakland?

22 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

I was disappointed Mills did not a timeout during Omaha's run to start the second half.  It was obvious the Mavs came out with some added intensity, particularly on the boards.  Obanor helped right the ship when he entered the game, but by then the momentum had shifted and the damage was done. 

Free throws and timely shooting from Weaver and E-Man were the difference down the stretch.  The only free throw that ORU missed in the second half was the front end of the 1-and-1 with 2.9 seconds to go.

This is what I posted on 'Entering Conference Play' I'm sorry about the tie comment OT, I have to agree with you for the most part but hope they can win 10 games.   If they could play two 20 minute halves like the first half, maybe they could be more competitive. We have good athletes but the coaching needs to be able to adjust after halftime to what the other team adjustments make. That means a quick timeout to correct those adjustments in the first few minutes of the 2nd. half. Personally, I don't give a hoot about a tie. That is the least of my worries at this juncture of the season. I have seen improvement in the team and hope they can learn how to win. Time will tell!  😎

ORU GRAD