Tulsa at ORU

theeagleman5

Obanor couldn't have played more then 12 or 13 minutes and had 9 boards and 9 points, he's an animal on the glass. ORU with 24 fouls and only 9 for TU.....

Non-conference has prepared us well for the Summit - and I think we will do just fine.  Whenever Kearns, Obanor, E-Man, and Weaver are on the court at the same, something good happens....

I

4 minutes ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Non-conference has prepared us well for the Summit - and I think we will do just fine.  Whenever Kearns, Obanor, E-Man, and Weaver are on the court at the same, something good happens....

I was at the game and we played hard. The calls were way out of line but the guys played hard. I thought we were very competitive tonight and I would add Jergens and Smith in the mix. Great effort tonight. They continue to get better. Showing signs of progressORU GRAD

As much as I dread this game,  I hope the series continues.   Its always better when both programs are doing well of course.  I was impressed with your freshman big guy,  he looks like a steal.  Hopefully you guys get it going in conference and I just might catch a game with the freebies I got for my sweater donation 😉

• Upvote 1

Good efforts by everyone tonight. I like the starting lineup (EMan, Lacis, Weaver, Smith and Kearns); it provided length for the zone. 

We worked the clock down on possessions to slow the game down. That caused poor shots as the clock wound down. Malone had the ball too many times and missed every shot (0 for 8). Our guard play (except for Kearns) was weak  

Obanor and Weaver looked good. The future is bright with them. Turning point seemed to be when Obanor fouled out with 4:22 to go. 

Kinda surprised TU went zone the whole game. But I guess they decided our guards weren’t good enough to beat them. They were correct. 

It was a fun game to watch. As usual Tulsa outscored ORU by 18 in about the last 10-11 minutes of the game.  Golden eagles all season have struggled in the last ten minutes of the game when it is winning time.  Tulsa's experienced guys took over down the stretch.  E-man, as good as he was in the first half, just disappeared in the second half when ORU needed there leader to step up. It seems like when ORU needs a leader down the stretch that no one really steps into that position.

Just read through the thread for this game on the TU board. A bunch of class acts over there.

Overall, I’m very pleased with how that game went. We outplayed a superior team for the majority of the game. Defensively, very solid I thought. Seemed to really frustrate and confuse TU throughout the game. Offensively, our guards were disappointing. Incable of either making a pass inside, or dribble penetrating. Passed around the perimeter for 20+ seconds until they were forced to do something with it, which was far too often a wild shot. 

All this to say... I’m proud of the guys. We are improving.

15 hours ago, Keenan Henderson said:

.... E-man, as good as he was in the first half, just disappeared in the second half when ORU needed there leader to step up. It seems like when ORU needs a leader down the stretch that no one really steps into that position.

Kinda hard for EMan or the other post players to take over if our guards can’t get them the ball in position. I think EMan actually got the ball to Obanor once or twice. 

This was my first game to attend this season as well. It looked like both teams were trying to deny the big guys in the paint. TU started out with a mentality of letting the ORU guys shoot threes, as long as they didn't get it inside. The first half, that didn't work so well. At halftime, TU made some small adjustments on offense and defense, and ORU didn't have any real counter. Malone played too much. I can see that he is a good defender and solid ball handler, he just holds the ball too long. 

The main takeaway I had is that the young guys Mills has brought in are bigger, more athletic, and all-around better than the guys we were getting a couple of years ago (with the exception of a few). Jurgens, Lacis, Weaver, and Obanor are a fantastic group to build around for the future. I especially liked how Lacis was a leader even when he was on the bench, and how good weaver's defense and shooting are. 

46 minutes ago, Idig32 said:

The main takeaway I had is that the young guys Mills has brought in are bigger, more athletic, and all-around better than the guys we were getting a couple of years ago (with the exception of a few). Jurgens, Lacis, Weaver, and Obanor are a fantastic group to build around for the future. I especially liked how Lacis was a leader even when he was on the bench, and how good weaver's defense and shooting are. 

I agree wholeheartedly with you on this Idig32. If we can keep them here and not let them get away and add a point with maybe one big to replace Smith that can actually score and play defense. I am not sure if Emir Ahmedic can be that big. He did not even play against Tulsa.

ORU GRAD

Agree with the above. Some of our young guys are really coming along far better than I was expecting. We were VERY lucky to get A player of Malone’s quality at such a late date, but I think Fuqua and Milton will create a lot of opportunities for us when they return. Did anyone notice if Milton was on the bench on Saturday? I only saw Fuqua.