ORU vs. Wichita State

ORUTerry

The Golden Eagles travel to Wichita on Wednesday to take on the Shockers. WSU is 6-4 on the season with wins over Providence, Rice, Appalachian State, Baylor, Jacksonville State  and Southern Miss. They average 70.3 ppg - shooting 40.7% from the field (31.0% from the 3-point line) and 65.1% from the free throw line while committing 13.2 turnovers per game. They are out rebounding opponents by 2 per game.

Link to Stats:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/wichita-state/2019.html

The Shockers are very young, much like ORU, so they have been up and down this year. It looks like the zone defense may work agaisnt them because they do not shot very well from the 3 point line.  Marcus McDuffie is a stud, future NBA guy, who ORU will need to slow down.  It will be a good game: WSU 72-62.

7 minutes ago, Keenan Henderson said:

The Shockers are very young, much like ORU, so they have been up and down this year. It looks like the zone defense may work agaisnt them because they do not shot very well from the 3 point line.  Marcus McDuffie is a stud, future NBA guy, who ORU will need to slow down.  It will be a good game: WSU 72-62.

I am going to predict a shocker. ORU winning in overtime.

As much as the win over Richmond was much needed and a nice surprise, I just don't see this team going on the road at Wichita State and getting an upset win.

I'd like for ORU to be competitive and hang around, maybe even carry some momentum into the Tulsa game, in which I do believe they can win.

For me, it's all about the upcoming Summit League play. I'm curious to see how this team matches up with the rest of the league....I have a strange sense of optimism....

TheEagleman isn't sure which ORU team will show up in Wichita tonight....the one who held Richmond to 52 points on the road or the one who gave up 96 at home to FGCU.....that being said, it's hard to drop a lot of $$$ on tonights' outcome.....Shockers are -15 with an O/U of 143......that sounds like a pretty good line but I could see ORU hanging around for awhile....seems like this is a much better team when Weaver and Obanor get good minutes.....we can't turn it over 20 times tonight or it's a blowout....ball security is huge for this team and the Good Guys just not very good at it..............Wichita State 81  ORU 65.....:circle-logoi:

I'm just hoping that tonight's game will be competitive.  A W would be tremendous, but staying within the 15 point spread might be a more realistic goal.  While the Richmond win could jump-start this team into a solid Summit campaign, my biggest concern for this team at this point in the season is the 15.2 turnovers per game.  The protection of the ball must improve for this team to be successful. 

A secondary concern is the 63% FT percentage, but that can be minimized by keeping Kerwin Smith (37.5%) off the court at critical junctures.  Of course, that also means that we lose some rebounding and defense.

Eagleman - I had written this post and was about to click "submit" when your message came through.  You are spot on!  

If our guys play with the same mindset and intensity as they did against Richmond and Weaver and Obanor play well we may have a chance. However the good guys will have to show up for ALL 40 minutes and not dig too big of a hole. Solid defense without giving up easy baskets will be a key to our success!

Gregg Marshall's teams have traditionally been very tough and disciplined, but I've seen them play a couple of times this year and they actually looked a little soft in spots, no doubt due to inexperience in his system.

That being said, I'll be surprised if the Shockers don't some right out and hit the Golden Eagles in the mouth early, much to the enjoyment of their spirited home crowd.  The question is whether ORU can survive the blow and make a fight of it, or get down early and hang on for dear life the rest of the way.

I have watched a few Wichita State games this year. They are not as good defensively (yet) as they have been in the past and can can go cold from the field. That said, they did look okay against Baylor a couple of weeks ago; I think they led the Bears by close to 30 points in the first half and ended up winning by 12 or so.

This ORU team has to value the basketball and cut down on the turnovers. Hopefully they will get better at this as they get used to playing together. The players also need to play within themselves - by that I mean know what shots to take & not take. I think the players are getting used to each other and the speed of D-1 basketball. Progress will be uneven but hopefully in the right direction as we enter conference play. It would be nice to get consistent outside (3-point) shooting from Kearns, Jurgens, Weaver, etc. to open things up.

I am a 'glass half full' type of person and think the coaches & players will figure this out. The key is to keep working (effort) and maintain confidence. The lack of our intended point guards (Fuqua & Milton) in the lineup hurts, but Malone can fill that breach - and we have players (EMan, Weaver, Obanor) who can carry us when needed.

Wichita State may have a lot of younger guys but as OT pointed out above....this game is Gregg Marshall vs. Paul Mills....enough said.....Marshall said on Monday in a news conference that he wants his team to "play a 40 minute game" unlike last Saturday vs. So. Mississippi....so expect WSU to try and run it up....plus Koch Arena is always a loud and intimidating place to play....I think Wichita is fairly certain to win by double digits....TheEagleman will make a medium play on the home team at  -15 and also tease WSU and the Over (143.5).....highly likely that the Shockers come ready to play and play hard.....ORU will be hard pressed to take their defensive pressure....🤑

Wichita State is without one of their starters, Dexter Dennis, who had a concussion last game.  He is a talented freshmen so that should help the good guys cause!

Plus Malone going against his old team....he will be extra motivated...but sounds like no bad blood there.....TheEagleman still thinks this is a 15-20 point win by Wichita State....🏀

A half of runs...ORU lucky to have the last one.....ORU had so many empty possessions because of unforced errors

Sam and E-Man keeping ORU in it...

WSU in the bonus in the first three and a half minutes of the second half...wow!!!

Refs got the memo that the game was too close at half.

ORU stayed around for 20 minutes then adios....84-63 final....about as expected....lets get ready to rock TU on Saturday....:shield-logo:

ORU had no answer for Marcus McDuffie, who scored 25 on 10 of 10 free throws.  Once again they struggled in the last ten minutes of the game and came apart.  Tulsa will be a tough out on Saturday at 9-3 and led by three returning seniors.  ORU will need to come out with some fire in their belly and hope that Tulsa is flat after a week off.