Coach Mills re: the message board

Old Titan

Coach Mills answered a question on his radio show tonight re: the message board. You can hear it at the very end of the 12/17 radio show post at the top of the forum (thanks as always to Doc Cornelius for posting them)

Shockingly, he seems to feel most message boards are full of negative people, complaining all the time and not offering anything constructive. 

In other news, water is wet, sky is blue, and unsuccessful teams have disgruntled fans.

The only people who complain more than fans ON message boards are coaches ABOUT message boards. 

2 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Shockingly, he said most message boards are full of negative people, complaining all the time and not offering anything constructive.  

Sounds about right 😄

Tell you what, Coach:  win twenty games, and I’ll start organizing those busloads again of “message board posters” that as recently as 10 years ago would faithfully follow ORU to places like Oklahoma City, and Springfield, and Lawrence, KS to cheer the guys on to victory, and THEN maybe you can complain about fans on the message board, OK?

But until then, I suggest you stick to trying to stay within 20 of Wichita State and Tulsa this week, and leave the criticizing to us.

After all, we’re better at it...

Geez....who does Coach Mills think is watching this team???...😛...but it's OK....I would expect him to say exactly what he said...:tb-white:

I believe what he said was true. We have some whiners on this board and we all know it. Even I realize that he wants to win as much as anyone of us on this board and more so. Do I think he is a great coach? No, and I personally don't think he is a great x/o guy but I am willing to give him credit for some adjusting to the players and the hand he has been dealt. We are very young and really have only four players from last year and 8 new players of which five are freshmen. I am seeing some signs of chemistry coming together and some freshmen who are starting to show why they were recruited. I may be the only one that believes we have recruited well for this season and I am going to give him a pass at this date.  Will he become a great coach or even a good coach?  I was here for Bill Self's first year. Was he a great coach at ORU? I say he became a great coach as he progressed up the ladder. I am going to give the coach a chance to prove what he can do with the players he has as we get into the conference play.                  ORU GRAD

I must have read Coach's comments the a little differently... because I mostly agreed with him. As a coach he shouldn't really concern himself with what we say here.

His job is to keep the team steady (not too high or too low) and keep outside distractions at a minimum. We can react (and often times overreact) to plays, players, or games but he needs to be thinking about the marathon of the season and beyond.

• Like 1

Dr

1 hour ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

must have read Coach's comments the a little differently... because I mostly agreed with him. As a coach he shouldn't really concern himself with what we say here.

His job is to keep the team steady (not too high or too low) and , outside distractions at a minimum. We can react (and often times overreact) to plays, players, or games but he needs to be thinking about the marathon of the season and beyond.

Thanks, Dr.,

I agree with you and believe you are spot on. He knows the early season is a learning curve and I really believe he is bringing the players along at a good pace. He needs to play everyone to find out whose talent will come to the top. I believe he is doing just that and we see Weaver, Saunders, Obanor, Lacis, and Malone starting to jell along with Eman and Smith. As I said before, their strong defense should be an aggressive zone and we saw that once before in the past and especially the last game. I know we are desperate for a winner to put ORU back on top but what I heard from coach Mills on Monday night as he is expecting to lose only Smith and Malone for next year and he stated that D'Mauria Jones will be with the team so that is a positive outlook from his perspective. 

His job is to keep the team steady (not too high or too low) and, outside distractions at a minimum. We can react (and often times overreact) to plays, players, or games but he needs to be thinking about the marathon of the season and beyond. This says it Best.   ORU GRAD

TheEagleman WOULD be worried if Coach Mills was listening to us.....😐

With 8 new players, this coaching staff is trying to find the right combination(s) of players to put on the court. And that is without our top two point guards to run the offense. We are young/new and still finding our way. And we (players and coaches) won’t be perfect and will make mistakes. Let’s be a bit patient....

Guys, I'm more than happy to be in the minority on this one; I just don't think a first-time head coach with a .333 record after 45 games has earned the right to look down his nose at ANYONE, much less the fans of the school where he's employed.

I'm reminded of pastors at struggling churches who rail at the remaining congregation about dwindling attendance, or the CEO of the failing business who takes out his frustrations on the few loyal employees that are still there.

Funny how those guys rarely achieve the success or respect they somehow feel they're entitled to...

On 12/18/2018 at 8:34 AM, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman WOULD be worried if Coach Mills was listening to us.....😐

Absolutely correct. Theres about 100 things he should be more worried about. LOL. 

I see both sides. I wasn’t offended by the clip, and the way I see it No coach should ever read or care about a message board. However, with the current state of ORUMBB, Coach Mills should be thankful anybody has enough interest to post about his team.