ORU at Richmond

theeagleman5

1 hour ago, #1ORUFAN said:

Looks like someone is in their feelings.  You took the bait hook line and sinker. The difference is you’ve been watching basketball all your life and not playing or coaching. That’s why you can’t tell that this guy is limited. 

So please enlighten us with your playing and coaching experience that leads you to the conclusion that Mills is limited? I don’t have the experience, so I’m willing to listen...

Do you guys remember me? I’m the one who said you can’t judge a coach after 1 season when he takes over a struggling program. 

And we don’t need to “know basketball” to realize that when a team’s returning starting point guard misses a season because of an injury, and then the freshman PG who was recruited to compete for a starting job with him ALSO has to miss the season because of an injury, you are probably going to have an uphill battle to start a season... especially having to play 10 games away from home out of the first 15.

I think the fact the team is improving game to game says a lot of Coach Mills’ ability to coach and to manage a roster filled with 8 newcomers. 

Maybe ORU2017grad is the one who doesn’t “know basketball” if his expectations were to take a losing team, keep the losing players on that losing team, and automatically win basketball games.  I’m sorry some of your friends apparently did not “buy what he was selling” and did not like “his treatment of players”.  Unfortunately, when you take over an 8-win team, rebuilding take longer than 1 and a half years. 

Nice road win today! Impressive. John Rothstein tweeted that it was a “buy game”. I was under the impression it was a return game from a home/home. 

I would have posted early but I was delayed trying to get the Kool Aid off my fingers.  Nice win Good Guys.  Love Obanor and Weaver.  They and Big E could be a force in the Summit.  Go Golden Eagles!

I hope to get the Kool-Aid off my fingers to post this win. Since I have no knowledge of coaching or basketball, I'll  just let  #1ORUFAN  tell us how it is done! 

Defense Keys ORU to 59-52 Road Win at Richmond

GM13-Richmond.jpg

RICHMOND, Va. – In a defensive battle that went back-and-forth the majority of the second half, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team prevailed with a 59-52 road victory at Richmond, Saturday afternoon at the Robins Center.

ORU's active defense was stellar all game, holding the Spiders to 29 percent from the field and just 52 points, the lowest total for an ORU opponent this year.

Aidan Saunders provided an offensive spark off the bench with 15 points, while Emmanuel Nzekwesi grabbed a game high 12 rebounds to help ORU to a 39-37 rebounding edge.

Nathan Cayo led Richmond with 17 points and nine rebounds, while Jacob Gilyard had seven of the Spiders' 14 steals.

14 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

I hope to get the Kool-Aid off my fingers to post this win. Since I have no knowledge of coaching or basketball, I'll  just let  #1ORUFAN  tell us how it is done! 

Defense Keys ORU to 59-52 Road Win at Richmond

GM13-Richmond.jpg

RICHMOND, Va. – In a defensive battle that went back-and-forth the majority of the second half, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team prevailed with a 59-52 road victory at Richmond, Saturday afternoon at the Robins Center.

ORU's active defense was stellar all game, holding the Spiders to 29 percent from the field and just 52 points, the lowest total for an ORU opponent this year.

Aidan Saunders provided an offensive spark off the bench with 15 points, while Emmanuel Nzekwesi grabbed a game high 12 rebounds to help ORU to a 39-37 rebounding edge.

Nathan Cayo led Richmond with 17 points and nine rebounds, while Jacob Gilyard had seven of the Spiders' 14 steals.

A great man once said “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance or conscientious stupidity”.  We beat a team with a 4-5 now 4-6 record, so which one are you sincerely ignorant or conscientiously  stupid?

Nice win for the good guys!

(I know I don’t post much, but it’s because I don’t know basketball.)

I don't always agree with some posters' opinions on this board, but I do respect the "Old Titans" of the board who are critical after losses but are reasonable enough to congratulate and recognize progress after the wins.  As for #1ORUFan who will point out the win/loss record of a team after beating them on the road tells me he is actually the one who honestly does not understand basketball, and how difficult it is to win a game on the road...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, #1ORUFAN said:

A great man once said “Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance or conscientious stupidity”.  We beat a team with a 4-5 now 4-6 record, so which one are you sincerely ignorant or conscientiously  stupid?

What's with the "WE" beat a team?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but you, or any of us for that matter, don't play or coach a minute of any game.

I mean, despite your member name, I'm confused. Based off of your posts are you for or against ORU basketball?

• Like 1

Richmond may not have its best team this year but that's still a real tough building in which to play...over 5000 fans in attendance and the Good Guys didn't fold...this victory shows there is still some fight left in that dog....Obanor and Weaver should continue to improve and help ORU in Summit play...TheEagleman isn't willing to give up on Coach Mills just yet....🤓

• Upvote 1

Nice win! I’m not bailing on coach Mills yet either. A COMPLETE turnaround is hard for any coach.

Hopefully we come ready to play on the 22nd.

Just for perspective to some.......after the absolute mess the AD and President made of the hiring/firing last year, Coach Mills was brought on awfully late in the recruiting season. Even then this is only his 3rd semester as a head coach.

I am sure he WAS over his head! Wouldn't anyone? He went from the safety and security of a (successful) Power 5 program to diving in at the deep end of a middling (at best!) small/mid major which hasn't been very good for a minimum of 5 years........plus dealing with the lack of drive from an administration that freely admits that attendance at a worship meeting is more important than a basketball game.  

ORU doesn't have a huge amount of money and has really lost its name/rep as a decent mid major which is the primary reason why they have to schedule so many brutal pay games, which then adds up to heavy losses, which adds up to recruiting and so on and so on!

While there is no doubting we have been largely awful for the vast majority of this year thus far, isn't it a huge plus to see talent like Weaver and Obanor? Makes you wonder what Milton would have brought to the table......lets hope to see that next year. 

Give Coach Mills ample time (3-5 years) so that we can get a full idea of recruits, coaching and then judge him. It may take a short time to turn the player names over but a culture is much harder to develop and takes time among many other things. 

GO GOLDEN EAGLES! 

• Upvote 1

Good:

• Any road win in D1 is good experience for this team.
  • Good defensive intensity. Noticed guys rotating to help a lot quicker.
  • Obanor was spark as soon as he entered in the 2nd half - hopefully his ankle can fully recover.
  • Saunders seems to be getting adjusted to D1 and isn't pressing as much on offense.
  • Malone's quickness was a big factor in this win... those two quick drives to the hoop really put Richmond on their heels.

Bad:

• Turnovers (especially unforced) HAVE to stop. (Like @ORUInsider mentioned it would be nice to have Fuqua or Milton right now)
  • Free throws 🙄
  • Upvote 1

Fuqua and Milton are greatly missed. TheEagleman loves Weaver and Obanor....Sanders looked good and E-Man played well....we won't beat Wichita St. but surely have a shot vs. TU....a win on the 22nd would make for a wonderful Christmas gift....🎅

• Like 1

It is great to see some improvement from this team.  Most of the talent that we have now was recruited by Coach Mills.  What is most encouraging is the success of the defensive zone with (finally) an increased emphasis (according to Kearns on the post game show) on extending the defense to the 3 point line.

To be honest, ORU has not had a good defensive team in at least 5-6 years (maybe longer).  Hopefully the defensive success continues.  It would be nice to have a good showing vs TU in a few days.

On an unrelated note, during a commercial break in the middle of the postgame radio coverage a public service announcement ran talking about how 31 states still allow discrimination against transgender individuals.  I assume ORU has control over the commercials that play during their airtime, but I thought after hearing it “Well that was unexpected.”

The Richmond fans are calling for their coach to be fired.... oh, boy.

I did not see the game and can only go by the box score.

• We shot the ball well (52.1%) - but not great from the 3-point line (31.6%) and lousy (37.5%!!) from the free throw line - although we only took 8 shots.
  • We out-rebounded the Spiders 39 to 27 - resulting mostly from their poor shooting/missed shots. They grabbed 13 offensive rebounds compared with our 5.
  • 20 turnovers is not acceptable. Not sure if they were pressing us to cause these. They only had 6 turnovers. The disparity kept Richmond in the game.
  • They only shot 34.9% from the field and 15% (3/20) from the 3-point line. They are normally a good shooting team (top 20) - especially at home. This looks like a good defensive effort That and the rebounding edge indicates good effort.
  • Only a total of 17 free throws (8 for ORU and 9 for Richmond) were taken in the game. That seems low and indicates the referees let them play.
  • We played nine players in the game:

E-Man (33 minutes) had 8 points (3/6 and 2 of from the free throw line) with 12 rebounds and 3 turnovers

Obanor (19 minutes - all in the 2nd half?) had 9 points (4/5 and 1 of 5 from the free throw line - he needs to work on this) with 7 rebounds and 1 turnover

Weaver (15 minutes) had 8 points  (3/8 - 2/7 from the 3-point line with zero free throws; 7 of his 8 shots were 3-pointers) with 2 rebounds (plays away from the basket) and zero turnovers. 

Saunders (25 minutes) had 15 points (6/9 - 3 of 5 from 3-point line; zero free throws) with 1 rebound and 6(!!) turnovers.

Malone (22 minutes) had 4 points (2/4 with zero free throws) and 1 rebound, 4 assists and 1 turnover

Kearns (37 minutes) had 2 points (1/4 - 0/3 from the 3-point line and zero free throws) with 5 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 turnovers

Lacis (20 minutes) had 5 points (2/5 - 1/4 from the 3-point line and zero free throws) with 4 rebounds and 2 turnovers

Smith (19 minutes) had 4 points (2/5 with zero free throws) and 4 rebounds and 2 turnovers

Miller (10 minutes) had 4 points (2/2 with zero free throws) and 2 rebounds, 1 turnover and 4(!!) personal fouls