ORU vs. Northern Illinois (Oakland Challenge)

ORUTerry

NIU's two wins are over Rockford and Illinois Tech (who?)....lost at home to Northern Kentucky....so they really haven't beaten anyone.....who knows on Friday afternoon?....this could go either way....it's a chance for the Good Guys to steal a win to start the tournament.....TheEagleman can't wait to see the line.....🤩

This is one of those games we can win if we show up and don't dig ourselves into a hole at the start of the game.  Northern plays in the Western Division of the MAC which by and large is not the power side of the conference in basketball.  Akron, Kent State, Ohio and Buffalo are all in the Eastern Division of the MAC and that is normally the power division of basketball in the MAC.  Northern was 15-17 two years ago and 13-19 last year.  It would be nice to beat Northern to start this Tourney.  Go Golden Eagles!  

So I live about 30 minutes from NIU. I follow the football team more closely than the basketball team. NIU football has had quite a bit of success over the last few years. Basketball, not so much. Their coach Mark Montgomery, who was an assistant under Tom Izzo at Michigan State, has only had one winning season in his seven years at NIU.

Their two wins this year have come against D III schools Rockford U., where I live, and Illinois Tech, who actually gave NIU a close game. The only player I have really heard much about is the junior Eugene German, who led the MAC in scoring average last year and was named to the pre-season first team for the MAC West.

Is this a game that I think ORU can and should win, yes..........would I be shocked if NIU won a close one, not at all.

Just checked kenpom.com and he has NIU beating ORU 74-69, he also has NIU losing to James Madison and Oakland, both by just 1 point. He has NIU ranked #183 one spot ahead of Missouri State for what it's worth...

The line won't be out until later tonight or tomorrow AM.....but TheEagleman expects NIU to be favored by at least 6-7 points....sounds about right....I think ORU can win this but hard to predict that.....NIU 77  ORU 72...……...🤔HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!

19 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

The line won't be out until later tonight or tomorrow AM.....but TheEagleman expects NIU to be favored by at least 6-7 points....sounds about right....I think ORU can win this but hard to predict that.....NIU 77  ORU 72...……...🤔HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!!

Opened this morning with NIU by 5-1/2 points, has moved up to 6 with a couple of books.

Who knows which team will be able to shake off the triptophan and Fortnite hangover for an 11am neutral court tip-off before a scattered gathering numbering in the double-digits.

First team to 70, wins - flip a coin.

ORU getting rolled by 20 in the 2nd half....my teaser of NIU -5.5 and over 142 looking real good....TheEagleman should have some extra black Friday cash...we are terrible....😣

2 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU getting rolled by 20 in the 2nd half....my teaser of NIU -5.5 and over 142 looking real good....TheEagleman should have some extra black Friday cash...we are terrible....😣

Surprisingly KenPom still has ORU listed as favorites in 6 of the remaining games...

76-54 NIU with 5 minutes left....Weaver and Obanor the only ones showing up this afternoon...TheEagleman will probably let it ride on Oakland tomorrow....we stink....🙄

Brutal start to this tournament with an 87-66 loss....Obanor 16 and Weaver 14. ORU shot 48% and still loses by 20+. We got killed on the boards....can't take much more...😥

Easing the pain...I had NIU and over teased and straight up....betting against this ORU team is like taking $$$ from a baby....😜

12 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU shot 48% and still loses by 20+. We got killed on the boards....can't take much more...😥

That's a lack of effort. Hard to lose by 20 when your shooting percentage is within ~1% of the opponent.

First time posting on here but isn’t it about time Coach Mills mixes up the starting lineup? I wouldn’t mind seeing this to start games.....

Malone

Jurgens

Nsekwesi 

Weaver 

Obanor

surely that lineup is way more athletic, has way more hustle and wouldn’t get whipped by 20......?