ORU at BYU

theeagleman5

TheEagleman doesn't think that Coach Mills is John Wooden but come on, buddy....you think this is HIS fault?...ORU just doesn't have the horses and the administration/students don't back the team with support......Mills brought in half of these guys but most are just young and raw....the returnees are mediocre players at best....not a good combo....you think maybe Rick Pitino could win with this group?....hey....now there's a thought....Pitino is available....would he come to ORU to resurrect his career?.....we hired Sean Sutton....why not Pitino?.....oh yeah....strippers in the ORU Athletic Dorm probably not a good idea...….never mind.....🤔

If I say Obanor reminds me of Greg McDougald, will anyone other than Eagleman know who the heck I'm talking about?

Lunch-bucket bulls like Obaner have shown up on campus about as often as unicorns, so there aren't many Golden Eagles of Titans to compare him to.

Fascinating prospect; curious to watch his development.

BTW, a former coach told me this week that Ecclasia (or whatever it's called) is the team that other NAIA schools schedule for homecoming as a guaranteed win.

Just sayin'...

Ecclasia is 0-7 and lost to Henderson St. by 42.  It should be a blowout and a chance for everyone to play.  Maybe ORU can score over a 100 and hit some threes.

8 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

SERIOUSLY???😫

Yes seriously because you never know which of our three teams will show up. The Good, The Bad or the Ugly. 

43 minutes ago, #1ORUFAN said:

Yes seriously because you never know which of our three teams will show up. The Good, The Bad or the Ugly. 

The bad and the ugly could show up and the Eagles still win by double-digits. 

10 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Can someone tell me why we consistently press the inbounds pass, and then immediately back off the ball-handler (rarely employing the trap)?  Have we actually gained a steal yet this year from this approach?  Seems like a lot of energy employed for very little reward.

I've been trying to figure out the press too. Most of the time a press is designed to speed up the pace of play, and sometimes designed to slow down pace of play, with a chance for a steal being a nice by-product. I can't figure out what we're trying to accomplish with this version though. Would be a good question to ask on the radio show. 

I'm loving Obanor too. He's not the most talented guy on the court but he's a bulldog under the basket. Love watching him play.

Greg McDougald was one of TheEagleman's all time favorites....6-8 about 250....#52 was a bull under the basket and had a nice jumper from about 15 feet in the corner. I can still remember Greg hitting a couple of big shots late in ORU's NCAA Midwest regional semi final victory over Louisville at Mabee Center in 1974....he was also a very nice guy....we lost him about 5-6 years ago as I recall.....:tb-white:

As a fan of ORU basketball since 1985 here are a few thoughts for today. The BYU game went as expected.....a 20+ point defeat. Besides being a fan of ORU I have been a life long fan of the Washington State Cougars(perhaps the only one in Tulsa).As a Coug fan I am no stranger to lean years. When Mike Leach showed up in Pullman 7 years ago he had no inherited talent and good coaching ability. It has taken him 5-7 years to finally have a nationally ranked team with good talent that can compete on the national stage. If any of you have ever been to Pullman , WA you will have a greater appreciation for what Leach has accomplished. Tulsa is a much, much easier place to recruit to than Pullman! Is Paul Mills the right coach that can get ORU to national prominence? Time will tell but I assure you it wont happen overnight! With said if by next season we don't start seeing some better talent ie. some shooters that can consistently knock down the 3 then we are sunk. Every good team and even some average one's like CBU have consistent 3 point shooting. ORU hasn't had good 3 point shooting in 5+ years!Here are my 5 ingredients to success: 1) recruiting, 2)recruiting, 3) recruiting, 4) recruiting, 5) coaching and developing the talent that has been recruited! Maybe I am missing something but if you build it they will come! I have seen to many lesser schools build successful long term programs. WHY NOT ORU!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1