ORU vs. California Baptist

ORUTerry

I missed the homecoming game, so last night was my first chance to see the team in action.  I agree with the posts of ORUTerry and OldTitan.  I like Coach Mills and I can see what he is trying to do with this team.  They will certainly improve over the course of the season.  I like Malone as well at the point.  While Kearns had an off night, he will still be a solid contributor for this team.  If he can play shooting guard instead of PG, I think he will be more comfortable.

This team REALLY needed this win last night and thought they had it until that crazy shot fell.  What total shock, disbelief, and silence after that shot went in.  I feel for the coaching staff and players because they invest so much of their lives into ORU basketball and a come from behind win with a 3 point shot by Saunders (almost at the buzzer) would have been a nice way to give this team confidence and a boost heading into the road portion of the non conference schedule.  It would also have been nice to get the win since the Board of Trustees were at the game as well, since they are currently having meetings this week at ORU.

But in reality, they did do enough to win by 2 points except for a once in a hundred shot that fell, so they should still take confidence that they played well enough to get the win.  I still believe that the best strategy for consistent winning at the D-1 level involves driving to the hole rather than settling for 3-point shots or jump shots.  Then when you do not score you often draw a foul and then when you get to the FT line, you have to make your free throws.  We missed too many free throws last night and that (along with too many turnovers) was the difference in the game.

CBU had 2 pretty good players.  They looked like an average Summit League team to me.  I think since this current ORU team does not have an elite or dominant player (Caleb Green, etc.) but does have a lot of youth and athleticism, I expect we will be in A LOT of close games like last night.  Hopefully we develop the ability to get that extra stop and to close out close games with a victory.  That will be the difference between a 4-12 conference record or an 8-8 conference record and possibly the difference between whether we can get to double digit wins on the season or have any shot at an overall winning record.

Apparently California Baptist stayed in Tulsa and is playing the University of Tulsa right now at the Reynolds Center.  A game on a Friday that starts at noon seems a little strange.  However, with about a minute left in the 1st half, Cal Baptist leads TU 43-41.

TU shot 40 free throws to Cal Baptist’s 17....

CBU shot 42 three pointers -out of 68 shots taken. They out rebounded TU by 7. 

I commented to my wife yesterday (having not looked at the box score) that TU always seems to get home cooking from the refs while ORU doesn't.  It appears that is the case.  Maybe we need to get the TU refs for future games. 😄