ORU vs. California Baptist

ORUTerry

1400???....screw that....this administration is a disgrace and ORAL would NOT be pleased with how the athletic program and especially Mens Basketball has been treated....those guys in the ivory tower just don't get it. Fire them all and hire Mike Minyard as Athletic Director....he is an alum and loves ORU and I can assure you that the people running the show do not....Mike would put butts in seats and help turn things around...1400 or less is a joke....its gotta stop being this way....:tb-blue:

Once again, the starting unit was dreadful.  ORU began competing when Malone and Miller entered the game.

Ben Johnson clearly hates his beat. 

(Not knocking the guy...he's watched a lot of bad basketball the last few years.)

As a college basketball fan have to say great game! Yes we lost but give Cal Baptist respect with hitting that 50 foot buzz beater. E-man and Saunders did all they could to keep  us in it.  Both teams fought hard and gave it all they had.

hard to be upset about that ending....felt like the better team won.  FT shooting and turnovers doomed ORU.

a year + in and ORU continues the decline that started the last few years of the Sutton era.    ORU is starting a guy that could not get on the court for GCU and should be starting a WSU walk-on.

if I'm EMan, the rest of the season consists of putting together a nice graduate transfer tape.

Well....that wasn't good......but TheEagleman is going to make a lot of  $$$ off this years' ORU team.....🤔

I sat right behind ORU's bench last night and here is my take on this year's team: This team seems to have fight in them and they seem to pull for one another so I believe they will continue to improve as long as their attitude stays positive. With that said my take is that we do not have an overly talented team so they will only get so good. Coach Mills has done a decent job of filling in some gaps with some graduate transfer players and  juco players. However to reach the next level we need better talent. Like old John Wooden used to say "my players made me look good". I grew up in Spokane, WA where my high schools arch rival was Gonzaga Prep. John Stockton was a senior when I was a sophomore. John went on to the then  NAIA Gonzaga University and put them on the map. Since that time the level of recruiting at Gonzaga steadily improved until now under Mark Few he has created a culture and pipeline of players that have the talent and expectation to compete at the top national level. By the way Gonzaga is roughly the size of ORU. Can ORU do what Gonzaga has done? I believe so with an administration and coach that has the desire and vision. Let's face it ORU has has great facilities, good location, and a unique brand that if used to it's advantage could rise to a much higher level. If Gonzaga can arise from a lowly NAIA school to where they are why can't ORU follow a similar pattern?

• Upvote 1

Hey, look:  the sun came up this morning.

And, there are still 25+ games left that must be played, one way or the other.

Which is why NO game in November is a "must win" (unless it's for advancing in a tournament).

Now, if you want to say that "This is a must-win game for ORU to (fill in the blank)", then it warrants conversation.

Like, "This is a must-win game for ORU to have a D1 scalp in the non-conference schedule".

Or, "This is a must-win game for ORU to not have a third-straight 20-loss season".

Or, "This is a must-win game for ORU to not embarrassingly become CBU's first D1 victory in their school's history."

You know - THAT sort of thing.

So, here we are - where to go now??

Actually, I saw a couple of positives last night:

• Malone
  • Miller
  • Malone
  • Obaner
  • Malone
  • Saunders in the final 2 minutes
  • Malone

And, apparently, I'm not alone:  Malone was running the show instead of Kearns in the final minutes, and he did a decent job.  Not great, but let's face it:  he's still light-years ahead of Kearns or Saunders when it comes to creating tempo, handling the rock, and passing inside.  He reminds me a LOT of a smaller Rod Pearson, with his motor and toughness.

Thursday night in Provo is going to be double tough - here's hoping everyone is keeping their heads up (coaching staff included).

45 minutes ago, Tru Blue said:

I sat right behind ORU's bench last night and here is my take on this year's team: This team seems to have fight in them and they seem to pull for one another so I believe they will continue to improve as long as their attitude stays positive.

I saw something last night I've never noticed at an ORU game (ANY game?):  during a critical timeout down the stretch, with the game hanging in the balance, the only people standing were the five ORU players in the game at the time, and a couple of the coaches.  EVERYONE else on the bench (players, staff, guys not in uniform, etc.) were just sitting there, doing nothing.  No clapping, no encouraging their teammates - NOTHING.

Is this a thing now?

Maybe I'm old (well, I AM old), but back in the day the strength & conditioning coach at the end of the bench would have been yanking those guys out of their chairs and telling them to show their teammates some support by huddling around them and encouraging them out of the break, or else they could meet him at 5:30am the next day to run some "Suicides".

Am I making a big deal out of nothing?  (rhetorical question:  it's a big deal to me).

My observations from the game last night:

• Poor free throw shooting.... it drives me crazy.
  • Malone should be our starting point guard. Things looked a bit smoother when he was running the point.
  • We should have pounded the ball down low more. We got the ball to Miller and Obanor some at times and they generated offense. But, see below...
  • Missed a lot of layups
  • Kearns has regressed; several unforced turnovers. He does not seem as confident or poised as last year.
  • We ran a soft press off the inbounds pass the whole game - sometimes doubling the receiver of the pass. We did not get a steal - only some deflections. Is our intention to slow the pace of the game down with that tactic? They only had 6 turnovers I think.
  • Weaver had a nice block in the first half that ignited our offense. He got lost on defense and they keyed on him for two quick buckets until Mills could take him out.
  • Jurgens was quiet most of the night. Think he only took one three pointer late in the game that rimmed out. He is active on defense. Not sure his teammates were looking to get him the ball.
  • The refs let CBU hand check and grab. Thought the game was called evenly pretty much. It would have been nice to have some home cooking....

I told my boys last night that Mike Minyard would get that half court shot on ESPN's top 10..... and he did. It was #1.

Of course it was.