ORU vs. California Baptist

ORUTerry

Here is a link to their web site:  https://cbulancers.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

They won their first game of the season against San Diego Christian 87 to 71. Appear to shoot a lot of three-pointers - and make them.

Box score:  https://cbulancers.com/boxscore.aspx?id=8424&path=mbball

If Mike number 1 retires in the future, I hope we get Mike number 2 to take over the reins at ORU. Just a thought. I miss that number 2.

ORU GRAD

• Upvote 1

Good sources tell me that Mike M is already in town....😀

This game should be a double digit ORU win...😎

1 hour ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Is it possible to have a must win game on Nov 13th?  I think this game is huge. 

1.  No.

2.  Why?

3 hours ago, ORUParentLurker said:

Is it possible to have a must win game on Nov 13th?  I think this game is huge. 

I agree 100% if Oral Roberts doesn't pull this one off then I won't know what to think. This game is absolutely a must win for the fellas even if it is only the third game of the season. 

This is a young/new team with lots of new parts and without its two point guards. I think it will take time to find the right combinations and for them to get used to playing together. The key is to make progress and not get discouraged with setbacks. 

• Like 1

If you don’t beat California Baptist at home... exactly what wins can you confidently pencil in going forward? 

I’d say it’s pretty close to a must win. 

California Baptist in their first year of D-1 ball.....Mike Minyard aside....This should be an ORU victory hands down....besides, Mike isn't playing....😁....TheEagleman knows that we aren't very good but gotta win this game even if it's not pretty....it probably won't be.....but I think E-Man should have his way and perhaps even Saunders and Jurgens can make a few shots....I can't find a line on this game but I would have to estimate it would be ORU -10.5....The Golden Eagles slosh their way to an 81-69 victory tonight....Mike Minyard goes home unhappy (or maybe he is secretly rooting for his Alma Mater...you would hope).....😘

For this team, nothing is a must-win until conference rolls around. Too many new faces and new schemes. 

TheEagleman will be interested in the student turnout tonight.....what were estimated student numbers last Friday evening?.....attendance was a putrid 2167 even with Homecoming....guessing very few Alums turned out.....😥

16 minutes ago, theeagleman5 said:

TheEagleman will be interested in the student turnout tonight.....what were estimated student numbers last Friday evening?.....attendance was a putrid 2167 even with Homecoming....guessing very few Alums turned out.....😥

I was very impressed with the number of students there actually. Completely filled their section and spilled over into the next. Now we get to watch the rapid regression in student attendance until somebody picks back up the torch and makes a big push to get students to the last two games of the season.

The rest of the arena was depressing. The alumni reception after the game was even worse. Obviously it's great for the alma mater to win the Homecoming game, but man.. scheduling an NAIA team is ROUGH. If we're going to do Homecoming in the Fall, I'd rather we pony up and get a name on the schedule that alumni recognize. Even if it means sloppy basketball and a big blowout loss. Obviously I'm in the minority though. The Homecoming game seems to be looooooow on the Homecoming totem pole for the current administration.

In the past I attended homecoming when it was held in January/February.  Since the move to November, I have not been back.  I hold degrees from other institutions and attend homecomings.  Of course there is always a major athletic event to attend at those homecomings with a recognizable opponent for the alumni to enjoy.  Those events are usually sold out events which help alums reconnect with the institution.  What is passing for "homecoming" at ORU is beyond me.  Sad, truly sad.  Nice way to disconnect the alumni from the University.  Just my $0.02.

kenpom.com gives ORU a 56% chance to win tonight with a predicted score of 74-72.......ugh!

I wouldn't call it a "must" win, but a lose by ORU tonight, for me, sure would feel similar to losing to Southern Nazarene last year.

My gut tells me that ORU will take care of business.

I am a proud alumni of ORU(1988).I played tennis for the legendary Coach Duke! Tonight I will be at the game with my good friend Tony Fritz who always dreamed of playing for ORU but went on to have a salty baseball career at NSU.Tony always seems to bring the mojo for ORU! ORU 80 CBU 65

What's the over/under on attendance? 1400?

I'd feel better about a win if I knew Big Chris was healthy and Malone was starting at point and Kearns was back to his more natural two guard position.  This game seems like a toss-up. 

At least ORU will be shooting on it's own rims and in front of the home gold chair backs.