ORU at TCU

theeagleman5

ORU in Fort Worth less than 48 hours after a homecoming win....TCU struggled to beat Cal-Bakersfield in their opener. This should be ugly...Good guys a 20.5 point dog and the O/U is at 145.5...looks like easy pickings for TheEagleman...unless TCU clears the bench early....TCU 86 ORU 55....😎

TSU still appears to be finding itself on offense, but I sure remember Jamie Dixon coaching up some bruising defense when ORU met Pittsburgh in the NCAA tournament over a decade ago.

I'm guessing they will have someone who can neutralize Eman, and beyond him right now, who else is going to score?

TCU 82, ORU 52

It's a shame ORU is not going to TCU w/a healthy and veteran team.  TCU primed to be beat.

8 hours ago, theeagleman5 said:

ORU in Fort Worth less than 48 hours after a homecoming win....TCU struggled to beat Cal-Bakersfield in their opener. This should be ugly...Good guys a 20.5 point dog and the O/U is at 145.5...looks like easy pickings for TheEagleman...unless TCU clears the bench early....TCU 86 ORU 55....😎

Well, at least we covered. 😐

The shooting percentages are again VERY low.  You will not win games shooting 37% from the field and 24% from 3 point range.

79-62 loss for ORU but  $$$ Cha-Ching $$$!!….TheEagleman teased TCU (-14.5) and the over (150.5) so it's a huge win today....good thing I didn't know about the TCU injured players or it would have been a much lighter play....but this starts the college basketball season off on the right track for me....sounds like ORU played a bit better today but Jurgens and Saunders shooting a combined 1-13 just can't happen.....next up California Baptist and a chance to even up at 2-2 for ORU.....:tb-white:

The truth is this ORU team isn't very deep, especially cause of the injuries. As long as Sam is running point this team will struggle cause our best shooter is being forced to play out of position. This team can't shoot the ball to save their lives and the offense is somewhat stagnant. Defensively the good guys weren't that bad in my opinion but our inability to score the basketball was a killer! This season could be a recipe for disaster with all of the injuries, new faces, and lack of perimeter shooting threats. 

If they are playing solid defense this early in the season, that is a good sign.  The shooting percentages and offensive rhythm should be expected to improve as the players get more playing time together.

Observations:

1.  Malone is the best point guard on the team right now.  He has some "dog" in him.  Should be starting over Jurgens, with Sam at the "2"...

2.  ...because Jurgens is far too careless in his passing and shot selection.  Plays like he's in a pick-up game at the "Y".  And has no concept of perimeter defense (a Euro affliction).

3.  Smith should never be asked to set high ball screens, since he's not a pop-and-shoot guy, and the guards are so bad at driving to the basket and/or passing to him in the pick-and-roll.  He should spend his time down on the block, posting up, taking up space for the guy on the other block (Chris or Eman) and cleaning up the messes off the glass.  I do like his ups.

4.  What's the over/under on assists for Saunders this season:  25?  30?  Dude has never met a shot he doesn't like.

5.  Any other program in America, Weaver would be redshirting.  The guy looks so lost out there, it's painful.

6.  I miss Sam's beard.  Doesn't he know it's "Movember"?

7.  Teams that shoot such a poor percentage from behind the arc should not shoot so many threes.  Go to the hole, or pound it inside, and get to the free throw line! (see: "Thunder; Oklahoma City")

1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Observations:

3.  Smith should never be asked to set high ball screens, since he's not a pop-and-shoot guy, and the guards are so bad at driving to the basket and/or passing to him in the pick-and-roll.  He should spend his time down on the block, posting up, taking up space for the guy on the other block (Chris or Eman) and cleaning up the messes off the glass.  I do like his ups.

5.  Any other program in America, Weaver would be redshirting.  The guy looks so lost out there, it's painful.

7.  Teams that shoot such a poor percentage from behind the arc should not shoot so many threes.  Go to the hole, or pound it inside, and get to the free throw line! (see "Thunder, Oklahoma City")

Totally agree about Smith in the high post. Both Smith and Malone are great 5th year additions but Smith is so slight he can’t really screen effectively.

From only two games in (extremely small sample) the only player I would give the automatic green light to is Sam. I’m sure Saunders, Jürgens, and others will improve as the season progresses.

like @ORUJason mentioned earlier improving team shooting percentage is paramount. How many Summit teams beat you by “out athlete-ing you”? I’d say none - they win by putting 3-4 consistent shooters on the floor.

3 hours ago, Old Titan said:

Observations:

1.  Malone is the best point guard on the team right now.  He has some "dog" in him.  Should be starting over Jurgens, with Sam at the "2"...

2.  ...because Jurgens is far too careless in his passing and shot selection.  Plays like he's in a pick-up game at the "Y".  And has no concept of perimeter defense (a Euro affliction).

4.  What's the over/under on assists for Saunders this season:  25?  30?  Dude has never met a shot he doesn't like.

6.  I miss Sam's beard.  Doesn't he know it's "Movember"?

7.  Teams that shoot such a poor percentage from behind the arc should not shoot so many threes.  Go to the hole, or pound it inside, and get to the free throw line! (see: "Thunder; Oklahoma City")

DJ weaver should for sure and without a doubt,  be redshirting. Saunders needs to have a much better shot selection or else he will be in for a very unsuccessful year. Kerwin was a surprise but his game is very modern for today's basketball, he's long, rolls hard, and can jump a little bit. Unfortunately all of his rolling on those high ball screens was for nothing because no one could see that quite a few times he was wide open for the alley oop play. But this game is over and we aint getting it back so its time for the guys to focus on the next one!

Jergens, Weaver and Lacik are supposed to be much better shooters than they've shown so far.  There's a reason they keep shooting.  The coaches have given them green lights based on practice performances.  As for Saunders and Malone.... please no.  Their shots are broken and nothing outside of 2 feet should go up.  I'm all for feeling your oats early in the season, but after about 10 games the roles needs to be set in stone.

Malone vs. Jergens is going to be interesting all season.  Jergens certainly gives you great length and I think he's pretty decent defensively.  Malone was a spark against TCU but he's very limited.  I almost feel he's better in short stints.  You can tell early on Mills has already talked about how different the older guys are on the court.  I'm sure he started the year thinking he's get his young guys early experience... and then he starts losing and that's not going to work!

I am a proud alumni of ORU(class of 88)and played tennis for the legendary Coach Duke! Tonight I will be at the game with my good friend Tony Fritz who always dreamed of playing for the Eagles but went on to have a salty career in baseball at NSU. Tony always seems to bring the mojo when he comes to the games! ORU 80 CBU 65

I was actually pretty encouraged by this game, especially after the MSU debacle. Terrible start with lots of defensive lapses that got them down 23-6 early on. But from that ORU timeout at 12:46 in the first half, ORU outscored TCU by 3 over the next 21+ minutes, cutting it to 54-40 with 11:20 left in the game. Obviously there wasn't a lot of urgency from TCU, but it wasn't garbage time either - it was single digits a lot of that time, and Dixon angrily called a timeout at 16:04 (at 43-36), not waiting for the under-16 timeout. 

A lot of work to do, but progress. I think tonight will give us a much better feel for how the Summit League might go.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:36 PM, ORUParentLurker said:

Jergens, Weaver and Lacik are supposed to be much better shooters than they've shown so far.  There's a reason they keep shooting.  The coaches have given them green lights based on practice performances.  As for Saunders and Malone.... please no.  Their shots are broken and nothing outside of 2 feet should go up.  I'm all for feeling your oats early in the season, but after about 10 games the roles needs to be set in stone.

Malone vs. Jergens is going to be interesting all season.  Jergens certainly gives you great length and I think he's pretty decent defensively.  Malone was a spark against TCU but he's very limited.  I almost feel he's better in short stints.  You can tell early on Mills has already talked about how different the older guys are on the court.  I'm sure he started the year thinking he's get his young guys early experience... and then he starts losing and that's not going to work!

Any flaws in Malone's shooting mechanics are more than outweighed by his ball-handling, passing, defense, rebounding, desire, toughness, etc.

Look, I'm sorry Sam is once again playing out of position and has gotten off to a rocky start this season.  But, the team desperately needs a quarterback at the point, and Malone is the best one on the roster. 

I would have no problem going 3-guard with Malone, Kearns and Saunders at the same time (unless the opponent is huge, like BYU unfortunately will be). 

That might just give Kearns and Saunders better looks for set threes, instead of trying to get open for shots off the dribble all the time.