Dr. Cornelius

Coach Cussen Q&A

Dr. Cornelius

ask-coach-cussen.png

Both ORU basketball coaches (Misti Cussen and Paul Mills) have agreed to field questions from the ORU Sports message board before the start of the upcoming basketball season. This is your chance to ask the coaches something that has been on your mind – and to get an answer. The answers will be posted via the ORU social media accounts as well as here on the message board.

Please post your questions here and watch for the answers!

The coaches have also agreed to take questions throughout the season, with the answers given during their regular radio shows. If your question is chosen, you will win a free dinner at the next ORU Coaches radio program.

74Titan

Other than staying out of the way, while coming to the games, what is the one thing that alumni can do to show our support for the girls when they're off of the court? 

ORUlongdistancefan

Hi Misti,

How are you planning to compensate with Maria's loss?  As an example, will be see different offensive sets and perhaps different players posting up?

ORU GRAD

Mitsi,

I watched last night's scrimmage and was very impressed with Rylie Torrey as she stood out. She must be a pleasant addition for you after losing Maria. I watched the games on the web last year due to just getting out of the hospital. It seems to replace two major players will be very difficult. Do you have any other than Rylie to step in and make up the difference?

MrsSmith

How many players do you expect to play in games this year?  Any special newcomers?

ORUTerry

Here are a few questions I have:

* Are you familiar with the ‘Elam Ending’? What is your opinion of its adoption in college basketball?

* How important is basketball IQ and is it something that can be ‘taught’ or is it innate? 

* What are the major characteristics you look for in a recruit/player?

ORU GRAD

I saw this game last evening against UNKC, and Keni Jo finally showed why she scored 50 points in a high school game. She was back on track and seemed to have woke up with Rylie Torrey. This was by far the best game for both. Lakota was being double teamed most of the night and still had a good game. I took my granddaughter and enjoyed watching the game. Jordan Gilbert is starting to show her skills and should contribute much during the season even though her stats did not show her athleticism. My question is why not start Regan Schumacher along with Botans? That would give the team rebounding and potential in the frontcourt along with Keni Jo, Rylie, and Lakota or Mayberry. Just a question that I saw from the game?

• Upvote 1

#1 Fan

Box scores are mainly geared towards offensive stats with some exceptions, steals, blocked shots, etc. The stat that I would like to see is a defensive look at FGM-A or Opponents FGM-A. Specifically which player(s) are allowing opponents to take and make shots. Is this something that coaches track and based on this which players are the best at keeping their opponent from shooting and making shots.