Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Cornelius

Coach Mills Q&A

Dr. Cornelius

ask-coach-mills.png

Both ORU basketball coaches (Paul Mills and Misti Cussen) have agreed to field questions from the ORU Sports message board before the start of the upcoming basketball season. This is your chance to ask the coaches something that has been on your mind – and to get an answer. The answers will be posted via the ORU social media accounts as well as here on the message board.

Please post your questions here and watch for the answers!

The coaches have also agreed to take questions throughout the season, with the answers given during their regular radio shows. If your question is chosen, you will win a free dinner at the next ORU Coaches radio program.

• Thanks 1

74Titan

How can alumni support/encourage the young men off of the court-non financially, without violating NCAA guidelines?

theeagleman5

Coach....TheEagleman loves ORU basketball and attended ORU in the 1970s when we were a national power. I am well aware that the landscape of college basketball has changed greatly over the past 40 years and it's not financially possible or realistic to think that ORU could ever contend for a national title. But I knew Oral Roberts and I know it would break his heart to see his University Men's basketball team struggling as we have done recently. Heck, we haven't even been relevant in our own league for most of this decade. How long will it be before we can expect to at least be competitive for a Summit Championship? I appreciate how difficult your job is and want you to know that we are always praying for you and the guys to play their best and be a great witness for ORU and the Lord....God Bless!  

Toby

How would you rate the competition in the Summit League after your first year? Was there anything you found surprising?

ORU GRAD

Coach,

I watched last evening with great anticipation to see what we would look like this year. I came away blank except for the smooth stroke of the new Euro player Carlos Jürgens. Why was there no exhibition schedule this year?  

ORUIllini

Coach,

Most colleges have both football, FBS or FCS, and basketball programs. When I think of the basketball programs that don't have football, the big names that come to mind are Gonzaga, Wichita St. and Marquette. All programs that have had continued success over the years.

What do you think those programs have done to maintain that success and solidify themselves year in and year out as a top basketball program despite not having a football program?

Thanks for all you do for ORU and many blessings!

ORU_Fan

Coach,

Out of the incoming players, who would you name as a surprise new contributor for the fans to look out for in the upcoming season?

vcboy2000

Coach, 

What was one major point of emphasis that you set for the team to improve on from last year? 

Thanks for working so hard and being a great representative of ORU!

ORUalum

Is the ORU administration making the financial commitment it takes to have a winning program?

• cost of attendance payments
  • recruiting budget
  • travel budget
  • salaries, support staff, etc
  • Upvote 1

ORUTerry

Here are a couple:

* Do you recruit for a certain style of play or do your players determine the style of play?

* What are the top 3-5 statistical metrics that you monitor (team & individual)

* Were there any unexpected things about coaching in a mid major conference (Summit League) last year?

ORUTerry

Is there an optimum amount of players you would like to settle on for a player rotation?

Keenan Henderson

How about a fun question for the coach: What do you like to do for fun or entertainment not including basketball?

ORUTerry

We started last conference season at 3-0 - just like this year. We then went on to struggle in conference play. What similarities and differences to you see from last season? How do we avoid the same pitfalls?

ORU GRAD

I am so impressed with the team advancement and the zone defense. The only factor I see is sometimes the opponent comes to the middle and is wide open. Also at halftime, the opponent's coach makes corrections and we usually lose momentum in the first part of the 2nd. half. Would a quick timeout for our adjustment to theirs be something that may help? However, I am very happy with the progress of the team and great to see Lais shoot the ball as well as the others. Great start in the Conference. ORU GRAD

ORUalum

Status of Ken Milton and D'Mauria Jones??

• Upvote 1

ORUTerry

How many types of zone defenses do we employ and can you see us using more man-to-man in given situations - like the last few minutes of the Fort Wayne game?

ORUTerry

What is your philosophy on recruiting juco players versus high schoolers? Do we monitor graduate-transfer lists for possible recruits?

ORUTerry

I am going to piggy-back on ORU Grad's question above about the middle of the zone. It appears that teams are exploiting the middle of the zone. Is this because of rotation issues, positioning, etc. or just something we have to live with?

ORU GRAD

Coach,

Why did we not get out of the man to man when we saw them take our guards to basket at North Dakota? Our Zone is the best when we get out on the perimeter. Also, when is Eman coming back? ORU GRAD

Keenan Henderson

What was your favorite moment/game of the year?