ORU Basketball Midnight Madness (October 29)

ORUTerry

The ORU Basketball Midnight Madness is scheduled for October 29th from 10:00 pm to midnight at the Mabee Center. Both men’s and women’s teams will be there and participate in scrimmages. 

• 2 weeks later...

I attended the Mabee Madness event last night – arriving around 10:20 or so; it began at 10:30. The students really filled the place up. I assume that the administration tried to make this as mandatory as possible. They had lots of give-a ways/prizes to entice the student. I have to say, the student were loud and engaged. Very impressed.  The emcee (sorry, did not catch who he was – chaplain maybe??) did a great job. Especially his explanation to the students about why supporting ORU athletics is so important to their degree – because it enhances the brand and awareness of ORU. Great stuff. He also had the students take a ‘vow’ to support the teams this season.

The event was part pep rally and part student event. Here is the schedule of events:

·         March to the Mabee  (had a marching band with big bass drums…)

·         Basketball team introductions

·         Welcome; Fight song; Spirit Sprint; Chants & Cheers  (this is where the emcee spoke about the importance of supporting the teams; during the Spirit Sprint, Eli did his usual dive into the megaphones. Part of the performance was that he incurred an “injury” and they took him out on a gurney with an ambulance brought into the Mabee Center. I did not stay around to the end; I project that we are getting a ‘new’ Eli.)

·         Fan volleyball between sections – with prizes for the winners

·         3-point contest  (had students compete; the top shooter took on the winner between Jurgens and Garvie. Jurgen won both contests.)

·         Women’s basketball scrimmage  (10 second running clock; they looked tired and both sides had trouble scoring in the first several minutes.)

·         Dance contest

·         Dunk Contest (they had students compete in this as well; the three players who competed were: Weaver, Obanor and Lacis. Lacis won, but all three had nice dunks.)

·         Men’s basketball scrimmage; this was run like an NBA all-star game… no defense with lots of shots taken and dunks galore. I left about 3 minutes in since it was really not a scrimmage.

·         Student half court shot for $1,000

·         Presidential Pardon half court shot

·         Meet & Greet

Seemed to have a pretty good turnout. Great job by the athletic department organizing this.

Yeah....and on a school night?....very strange.....but TheEagleman is glad to see such an amazing student turnout...if we get half of those kids to actually come to the games it could make a huge difference to this 2018-19 ORU squad....GO BLUE!!!  :tb-blue:

20 hours ago, ORUalum said:

New look Eli.....

eli.png.3c0711d5e5a9057300c56616083e46a4.png

Please tell me you're kidding.

If true, it appears the "never really an eagle" ORU mascot has morphed from Foghorn Leghorn to his trusty sidekick, Henry the Chicken Hawk:

81Mat3ipKCL._RI_.jpg

For reference, here's what the Marquette Golden Eagle mascot looks like:

the-marquette-golden-eagle-mascot-perfor

Not bad!  the key to the "angry bird" look is that ridge over the eyes.

But don't take my word for it - just ask this guy:

35547386425_88685eacbf_z.jpg

This is "Nova", otherwise known as War Eagle VII, the living, breathing mascot of Auburn University.

Now, THAT'S what I call a Golden Eagle!!

I miss the blue and white we used to have on uniforms and court. Those were the days my friends. Titans may come from some mythological origin (to some), but it worked for 28 seasons. T-I-T-A-N-S.