News
Sign in to follow this  
ORUTerry

Practice

ORUTerry

ORUTerry

ORU GRAD

DlEv0h8XgAET9zq.jpg:large  Are all the players in this photo? 

ORUTerry

Dr. Cornelius
11 hours ago, ORU GRAD said:

DlEv0h8XgAET9zq.jpg:large  Are all the players in this photo? 

Hard to tell but it looks like...

Front row (L - R): Lācis, Weaver, Fuqua, Kearns

Middle row (L - R): Nzekwesi?, Jürgens?, Smith, Miller, Milton, Saunders, Obanor

Eaglefan 21

Missing Emir I believe.

theeagleman5

Fuqua looks fine in the photo...any word on the injury?....also, it appears his dad is looking right over his shoulder.....:eagles:

ORUTerry

I guess the answer is September 23....

Old Titan

New practice floor looks good...

ORUTerry

mabee.png

@Dr. Cornelius and I viewed a men’s basketball practice Saturday afternoon. We came in about half way and stayed a little more than an hour. Obviously this was the 2nd or 3rd practice and you can’t draw a lot from my limited observations - or knowledge. Here are my random (amateur) observations:

•     Everyone was practicing except Fuqua - who was in street clothes
  •     Mills ran the whole practice; it was scripted and intentional.
  •     A lot of the drills were working on zone defense (positioning, communication, techniques, etc.) Mills is very big on verbal communication and valuing the basketball. Had guys run sprints if they didn’t talk to each other on offense or defense.
  •     The offensive drills focused on high posts action and screens; setting them and using them.
  •     The coaches had a very large TV monitor set up on the sideline where I think they've been reviewing various offensive/defensive sets. (similar to the photo in the tweet below)

My not-very-knowledgeable opinions on the players I saw:

Kearns: Looked the same; steady, decent ball handler with a good shot.
    Milton: Looks young but plays like a point guard and has a decent shot.
    Chris Miller: Has nice hands and a nose for the bucket. Good teammate- saw him encouraging several players during the course of practice.
    Emir Ahmedic: Has lost some weight and seems a bit quicker.
    EMan: Looked really good. Very active on defense with several steals. Has worked on his jumper; seemed to make everything he shot.
    Adian Saunders: Brings height and quickness to the perimeter; very active on the defensive end.
    Malone (WSU grad transfer): A nice addition. Nice outside shot and was very verbal. Looks like an upper classman leader.
    Carlos Jurgens: A true big (6’5”) guard. Nice shot and could handle the ball.
    Francis Lacis: A true 6’7” wing. You can tell he is older. Decent ball handler. Has a high release point on his jumper similar to SDSU's Reed Tellinghuisen; will be difficult to contest his shot in the Summit.
    Obanor: Has a nose for the ball with a good vertical and seems to be an active rebounder.
    Kerwin Smith: Brings height and mobility - not the typical lumbering 6'10" player. Seems to have a nice mid range shot and can pass/handle the ball.
    DJ Weaver: Appears to be a true 3.  Good ball handler who hit several spot up three pointers

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

theeagleman5

What's the scoop on RJ Fuqua's injury???....😨

Old Titan

Thanks Terry - good stuff. 

ORUIllini

Thanks Terry, This is awesome stuff! I know we’re in the midst of football season, but I can’t wait for ORU basketball to get going! Lots of new players and year two for Mills. Let’s go ORU!!

vcboy2000

Great post, Terry! Starving for info on the new guys and excited to see how year two goes with Mills. 

ORU GRAD

Talked with a few at ORU Monday of last week and they are really quiet about what they are seeing. I hope we can become a better ball club this year. We are young in some areas but I feel the team is more athletic than in previous years. I trust I will be surprised. Could this be a possible starting Five?

Kearns: Looked the same; steady, decent ball handler with a good shot.
    Milton: Looks young but plays like a point guard and has a decent shot.
    Chris Miller: Has nice hands and a nose for the bucket. Good teammate- saw him encouraging several players during the course of practice.
    Emir Ahmedic: Has lost some weight and seems a bit quicker.
    EMan: Looked really good. Very active on defense with several steals. Has worked on his jumper; seemed to make everything he shot.
    Adian Saunders: Brings height and quickness to the perimeter; very active on the defensive end.                                                                      DJ Weaver: Appears to be a true 3.  Good ball handler who hit several spots up three-pointers

Emir and Milton fighting for a starting position.

ORUTerry

I think we will see several battles for positions. Depth is good. Given all the new faces it will take time for them (players and coaches) to find the right lineups and chemistry 

ORUTerry

• Upvote 2

Dr. Cornelius

Good points by Sam towards the end of the video on how added depth will help this season.

The season gets a little bit closer next week with the start of scrimmages...

Practices have begun and games are less than a month away, but many college programs will get a chance to see where they stack up in a controlled environment against someone else. These used to be a lips-are-sealed secret, now they are just closed to the fans and the public.

Here’s the comprehensive listing of the not-so-secret scrimmages:

SUMMIT

Denver – 10/27 vs. Colorado State; 11/2 at School of Mines

Fort Wayne – 10/27 at Youngstown State

North Dakota – None

North Dakota State – 10/20 vs. Green Bay in Minneapolis

Omaha – 10/20 vs. Northern Illinois in Iowa City; 10/27 vs. UMKC

Oral Roberts – 10/19 vs. UT Arlington in Oklahoma City; 10/28 at Arkansas-Little Rock

South Dakota – 10/20 vs. Minnesota Mankato

South Dakota State – 10/28 vs. Drake in Omaha

Western Illinois – None

ORUParentLurker

We are most definitely deeper and overall more athletic.  I think the returning guys are coming back in excellent shape and the new guys have some talent.  It will be interesting to see how they come together when the real competition begins.  The great things about being deeper is it allows you to play a lot more aggressively.  I'm hearing that is the major change to the playing style this year.  No more "hold up until the shot clock expires" style of defense. 

theeagleman5

Thanks, Lurker....after the past few seasons....any positive change would be most welcome....GO BLUE!!!....:tb-blue: