Preseason Projections

Old Titan

The first preseason projection I've seen (of many to come), and it's not pretty:  another 20-loss season??  Dead-last in the Summit League?

(click on individual team for game-by-game predictions, estimated player stats, etc.)   http://www.barttorvik.com/conf.php?conf=Sum

The individual player stats are a bit silly:  Kennedy Milton is not even listed, and he may start.  I would trust ORUBlue82's assessment in that area MUCH more than these "analytic" formulas.

I can’t really disagree with this projection. Looking at the previous 5 seasons as a trend it makes sense.

17 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

I wonder what the projection is removing RJ and Jones.  And who is Morgan?

Jamichael Morgan was a spring 2016 signee who never made it to campus. Morgan the attended Link Year Prep after high school.

Most recently Morgan signed with Lavar Ball’s JBA basketball league.

• 5 weeks later...

Street & Smith's College Basketball Preview

1. SDSU
  2. South Dakota
  3. Denver
  4. Purdue Fort Wayne
  5. ORU
  6. Omaha
  7. NDSU
  8. North Dakota
  9. WIU

Athlon College Basketball Preview

1. SDSU
  2. South Dakota
  3. Denver
  4. Fort Wayne
  5. NDSU
  6. North Dakota
  7. ORU
  8. Omaha
  9. WIU

Blue Ribbon Basketball Yearbook Preview

1. SDSU
  2. South Dakota
  3. Purdue Fort Wayne
  4. Denver
  5. NDSU
  6. ORU
  7. Omaha
  8. North Dakota
  9. WIU

Let's face it....we have so many new players...who can know how good or bad ORU is going to be?....they don't....heck, we don't....D.J. Weaver might be the next Lebron James....or he could be the next Rick James.....time will tell....I wonder why there are no pre-season games this year?....TheEagleman would love to see the team on the floor once.....I guess just a Blue-White game?....:tb-blue:

I can see why Denver might be picked above ORU with their grad transfers but I don't see NSDU or North Dakota finishing higher. Also, why all the respect for USD without Mooney?

16 hours ago, Dr. Cornelius said:

I can see why Denver might be picked above ORU with their grad transfers but I don't see NSDU or North Dakota finishing higher. Also, why all the respect for USD without Mooney?

Because historically all the Dakota teams have finished in the top half of the league.

They all have formidable home court advantages and have traditionally performed well in Sioux Falls. 

34 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

Because historically all the Dakota teams have finished in the top half of the league.

They all have formidable home court advantages and have traditionally performed well in Sioux Falls. 

These are good points but a new coach and the loss of Mooney will be big for USD.

• 3 weeks later...

More sobering prognostications:  RealtimeRPI.com (who really needs to change their name now that RPI is dead) has ORU going winless in 9 of their D-1 non-conference games, with every game a blowout (not sure why home games with TU and FGCU are not included).

11-06   at  Missouri St. Bears   0-0 (0-0) 148  Scouting 60-77  L
11-11   at  TCU Horned Frogs   0-0 (0-0) 25  Scouting 57-90  L
11-15   at  BYU Cougars   0-0 (0-0) 75  Scouting 60-84  L
11-23   at  Northern Illinois Huskies   0-0 (0-0) 239  Scouting 65-78  L
11-24   at  Oakland Golden Grizzlies   0-0 (0-0) 166  Scouting 71-87  L
12-02   at  SMU Mustangs   0-0 (0-0) 123  Scouting 54-83  L
12-07   at  Missouri Tigers   0-0 (0-0) 56  Scouting 50-87  L
12-15   at  Richmond Spiders   0-0 (0-0) 205  Scouting 70-82  L
12-19   at  Wichita St. Shockers   0-0 (0-0) 24  Scouting 54-90  L

http://www.realtimerpi.com/ncaab/college_Men_basketball_Oral_Roberts_Golden_Eagles.html

49 minutes ago, Old Titan said:

More sobering prognostications:  RealtimeRPI.com (who really needs to change their name now that RPI is dead) has ORU going winless in 9 of their D-1 non-conference games, with every game a blowout (not sure why home games with TU and FGCU are not included).

11-06   at  Missouri St. Bears   0-0 (0-0) 148  Scouting 60-77  L
11-11   at  TCU Horned Frogs   0-0 (0-0) 25  Scouting 57-90  L
11-15   at  BYU Cougars   0-0 (0-0) 75  Scouting 60-84  L
11-23   at  Northern Illinois Huskies   0-0 (0-0) 239  Scouting 65-78  L
11-24   at  Oakland Golden Grizzlies   0-0 (0-0) 166  Scouting 71-87  L
12-02   at  SMU Mustangs   0-0 (0-0) 123  Scouting 54-83  L
12-07   at  Missouri Tigers   0-0 (0-0) 56  Scouting 50-87  L
12-15   at  Richmond Spiders   0-0 (0-0) 205  Scouting 70-82  L
12-19   at  Wichita St. Shockers   0-0 (0-0) 24  Scouting 54-90  L

http://www.realtimerpi.com/ncaab/college_Men_basketball_Oral_Roberts_Golden_Eagles.html

I don't doubt ORU might get blown out by TCU and BYU... but Richmond (  12-20 ), Northern Illinois ( 13-19), & Oakland? I would be really surprised if all those games aren't fairly close.

Predictions are supposed to be some blend of what happened last year + who left + who came back + who was added.

It looks to me like we brought back four solid starters including one all league talent and added 8 new players.  Middle of the pack is fair but I honestly expect better if Mills is the coach we hope he is.

TheEagleman has been silent because I really don't know what to expect from this ORU team.....however, it seems that we have added some decent new players and it's just impossible to say how this season will unfold....the schedule isn't easy but it's not as daunting as it was in early 2017 when ORU was flying all over the country in every time zone....I think a few of these games are winnable if the new kids can contribute something....I have to agree with Lurker that Coach Mills seems to know what he is doing.....so let's see how things go....not gonna pay much attention to these dire predictions from people who have no idea what kind of players we have.....:tb-white:

Regardless of how good this team turns out to be, I was looking forward to this season...until I was told I need surgery that will probably keep me from attending any November games. Although I'm hoping I'll be well enough to catch a few before the end of the month. I appreciate all prayers for a speedy recovery. I'm not "the Gipper," but they better win some for me.

Go, Golden Eagles! 

• Upvote 2

Sorry to hear about your surgery; we will certainly pray for a quick recovery/healing. Let’s hope the team can bring you some cheer to speed the process along.