Caleb Green Story (Tulsa World)

ORUTerry

:clap:....great guy....great win over Kansas in Nov. 2006....but TheEagleman wishes we had beaten the Jayhawks in March 1974 a lot more...:cry:.:oru-logo::cry:

Happy coincidence to run into Caleb Green and Tulsa World's Bill Haisten on the Mabee Center floor last Friday while they were shooting that picture for the story, and I too was amazed at how lean and fit Caleb looked. 

And, he was as nice as ever, taking a few minutes to run down memory lane with me. 

He is, quite simply, one-of-a-kind. :clap:

• Like 1

Caleb was not the most imposing athlete but in his four years there were probably only a handful of times where he wasn't the best basketball player on the court regardless of opponent. His awareness around the rim was something else...

There has never been an ORU player like Caleb. He is one of a kind. We were blessed and privileged to watch him play at ORU for 4 glorious years. I'm glad he is doing so well, still playing professionally, and planning to coach after he retires! I wish Bill had done a companion piece on Larry Owens--one of my other favorite players of all time.

• Like 1

I liked to watch Caleb play because he always seemed to be happy on the court. Great smile. It's nice that he has had a good career post-college. I would love to see him involved with ORU in the future. 

I introduced myself a year or so ago when he was back at the Mabee Center and he was very gracious. (Ken Tutt has been too; lovely family.) 

I remember a story that Mike Minyard told me of meeting with Caleb for lunch a year or so after Green had graduated. He was playing in Europe and was in Tulsa during the off season. They met for lunch and Mike said that instead of a hamburger or typical lunch fare that he knew Green usually ate when he was in college, Green ordered a salad (no dressing) and grilled chicken. When Mike remarked to Caleb about his diet, Green said things were different now - he had to take care of his body because that is how he made his money.

TheEagleman has met Larry Owens (very gracious sitting behind me at a game at Stillwater) but have never had the pleasure of meeting Caleb. However, here's a story that says a lot about the guy....prior to my wife getting ill she managed a very busy Italian restaurant near our home in Bucks County, PA.....about 7-8 years ago I was sitting at the bar one night having a cold drink when she came up and introduced me to a co-worker/friend and her son who had come in for dinner.....the son was very tall maybe 6-9 and mid 20's...I asked him if he ever played ball and he proceeded to tell me that he had played for the D-III Holy Family U. team that went to the national finals a couple years prior....he said that he now played professionally in Europe for a team in Belgium....so I asked him if he knew Caleb Green and his eyes lit up....he said that Caleb was his teammate the prior season .....he then asked how I knew him and I said that I was an ORU alum and Caleb had played there and was one of the greatest players every to put on the blue and gold.....so this kid proceeds to tell me that Caleb is a fine representative of ORU and one of the nicest guys he has ever played with and a very good Christian man.....that was unsolicited and says something about Caleb Green....:up:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Great article about a great guy.  The only frustrating thing is that TU receives so much ink when they were a no-show in the process.  This is an ORU and Memorial guy - no need to even mention that other school at the opposite end of Lewis. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, TrueBlue82 said:

Great article about a great guy.  The only frustrating thing is that TU receives so much ink when they were a no-show in the process.  This is an ORU and Memorial guy - no need to even mention that other school at the opposite end of Lewis. 

It’s Haisten and the World so it’s to be expected. But I’m not opposed to reminding TU of their mistake... Caleb sure wasn’t.

Those who are aware of the "relationship" between Bill Haisten and TU are not at all surprised at his take on the Green story.

Bill NEVER passes up a chance to poke the Golden Hurricane with a stick, and TU fans never fail to take the troll bait.