Owens Signs Professional Contract in Poland

Dr. Cornelius

Owens Signs Professional Contract in Poland

TORONTO, August 6, 2018 - Slan Sports Management is pleased to announce that Albert Owens has signed his first professional contract with Spojnia Stargard of the Polish Energa Basket Liga (EBL) for the 2018-2019 season.

Owens, a 6'9 center, averaged 11.2 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.6 blocks per game this past season for Oral Roberts University. Owens led ORU in points per game and ranked second in the Summit League in blocks. His performance earned him the Summit League Sixth Man of the Year Award, along with being named to the Summit League All-Academic Team and the D-1 AAA ADA Scholar Athlete Team.

A Cedar Hill, Texas native, Owens attended Trinity Christian High School, where he was a first-team all-state selection as a junior and senior, before heading to ORU. After a season as a role player, Owens took a step forward in his sophomore campaign, averaging 9.9 points, 5.0 rebounds, and a team leading 1.5 blocks per game. He had his most productive statistical season at ORU as a junior in 2016-2017, ranking fourth in the Summit League in scoring with 17.4 points per game, 14thin rebounds with 5.6 per game, and fourth in blocks with 37 total. Owens was named an All-Summit League Honorable Mention along with being named to the Summit League All-Academic Team and the DI-AAA ADA Scholar-Athlete Team. Owens ended his collegiate career with 1,318 total points, 534 rebounds, and ranked third in ORU history with 159 career blocks.

Owens is excited to begin his professional career and believes he can bring a strong interior presence to Spojnia next season.

"I'm excited to start my career with Spojnia Stargard," said Owens. "I'm extremely happy to be starting in such a diversely talented league."

Good opportunity for Albert to continue his playing career overseas.

The town of Stargard has a population of 70,000.  I wouldn’t guess the salaries are that high but the living expenses probably aren’t either.  It is a good opportunity for him to prove himself and I have been to Poland twice and found it to be a very enjoyable country and culture.  As a tall African American, he will draw some attention wherever he goes.