Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Cornelius

Getting closer...

Recommended Posts

Dr. Cornelius

Getting closer to @Old Titan 's favorite time of the year... volleyball with a medicine ball.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

LOL - don't forget running the hill!

Gotta love the preseason:  everyone's undefeated.  :sun:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUParentLurker

There is a saying in basketball that your win total is already set by the time the season starts.  All recruiting and player development happens in the offseason.

Of course, I don't fully agree with that.  But I do agree that individuals can improve dramatically. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr. Cornelius
On 7/30/2018 at 10:01 AM, Old Titan said:

LOL - don't forget running the hill!

Gotta love the preseason:  everyone's undefeated.  :sun:

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

There is no way the coaches are going to let them break those guys off this close to the season.  Some light running, PT, fireman carries and some pool work.

Looks like wasted money on some team building exercises w/some war stories thrown in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

When do they start working on team defense and shot selection?  Asking for a friend... :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenEagleFan
5 hours ago, ORUalum said:

 Looks like wasted money on some team building exercises w/some war stories thrown in.

Yea.... 8 newcomers and only 5 returners... seems like a big waste of money to have team building exercises in early September. Instead they should have all of their defensive rotations in as well as half of their playbook.

Oh and by the way, first official practice isn’t for another two weeks... I understand it’s in some people’s dna to constantly complain, but at least spend that energy on things that are worth debating about... I don’t see any downside to team building activities in the preseason with so many new faces on this team. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUalum

fair enough......I probably should have been more clear.  I'm just not convinced of the efficacy of this type stuff.  I know it's really in vogue right now with sports teams and even some corporate training.  You spend thousands of dollars to bring in some former SF guys or former drill instructors for a week of training and sage advice on what makes a team.  

They simply are not recreating the environment that made them phenomenal team members -- loss of individuality, prolonged separation from friends and family, sleep deprivation, pushed to the point of physical and mental exhaustion, introduction of multiple stressers while attempting to complete a team task, punishment of the whole group for the mistake of one, commitment to a common purpose or goal, etc. 

I'm just not convinced a few hours of scissor kicks, burpees, and war stories over the course of a week will achieve much more than a good strength and conditioning coach could achieve using the same limited time to get guys in shape.  As I said in my original post, they can't truly break those guys off --- they'd have no business.  Damage a few trainees, you pick them up next cycle; damage a D1 athlete weeks before the season and kiss your sports clients goodbye. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenEagleFan

I misinterpreted what you meant as a “waste of money.” I agree it’s impossible to simulate what makes these Marines or Navy Seals phenomenal teammates and they can’t possibly recreate the level of trust they have in each other when they are on the literal battlefields protecting our freedoms. 

I do think it’s possible to teach leadership traits and show what great accountability looks like in these types of exercises. Hopefully the players were able to take advantage of this and found some success in overcoming a little adversity as a team.

Either way, I think the quicker this ORU team can gel and unite, the better the season will turn out for them. Credit to Mills for finding opportunities to try and make this happen before they have to focus more time on the actual basketball court once the season picks up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Titan

Whatever happened to team building over burgers and bowling?

Seriously, some of this stuff that men’s basketball does in the name of “unity” just seems a little forced, in stark contrast to the laid-back and free-wheeling activities I’ve seen the baseball team enjoying on social media this fall. 

Ryan Folmar’s guys always seem like a tight-knit AND successful bunch; maybe his approach proves less is more in the ol’ social engineering department.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenEagleFan
1 hour ago, Old Titan said:

Whatever happened to team building over burgers and bowling?

Seriously, some of this stuff that men’s basketball does in the name of “unity” just seems a little forced, in stark contrast to the laid-back and free-wheeling activities I’ve seen the baseball team enjoying on social media this fall. 

Ryan Folmar’s guys always seem like a tight-knit AND successful bunch; maybe his approach proves less is more in the ol’ social engineering department.

I’m pretty sure if MBB put out a video of their team playing Ultimate Frisbee, Kickball, or Med Ball Volleyball, you would never let them hear the end of it. Of course, everyone knows your stance on med ball volleyball. Speaking of that, check out what your baseball boys were up to yesterday!

So when it’s the basketball team, it’s “forced.” But when it’s the baseball team it’s “laid back and free-wheeling.”

giphy.gif

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUParentLurker
On 9/12/2018 at 9:38 PM, GoldenEagleFan said:

Yea.... 8 newcomers and only 5 returners... seems like a big waste of money to have team building exercises in early September. Instead they should have all of their defensive rotations in as well as half of their playbook.

Oh and by the way, first official practice isn’t for another two weeks... I understand it’s in some people’s dna to constantly complain, but at least spend that energy on things that are worth debating about... I don’t see any downside to team building activities in the preseason with so many new faces on this team. 

They only get 4 hours a week to work on basketball.  And I promise you execution and defense are a primary focus.

Whether or not you think this stuff is effective, you have to try.  Because in basketball you can't win unless players play for each other.  Baseball is different.  You can win a lot of games by have each individual win their own battles.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dr. Cornelius
6 minutes ago, ORUParentLurker said:

...Because in basketball you can't win unless players play for each other.  Baseball is different.  You can win a lot of games by have each individual win their own battles.

This is a good point. You have to build trust (especially with all the new guys) or strategy won’t work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

With all this "team building" going on....TheEagleman is upping the projected 2018-19 over/under win total to 12.5.....:ugeek:.:thumbs-up-4::nerd:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUJason

I would assume that Coach Mills is doing what he has seen work at Baylor.  I hope it works well here.  He has seemed to recruit fairly well, so hopefully some of those recruits will make some significant contributions this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUTerry

When do practices officially start?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ORUParentLurker

I saw a tweet saying "7 days away from basketball season officially starting".. and that was yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
theeagleman5

TheEagleman isn't a big fan of those uniforms above for the men....why don't we have more VEGAS GOLD in the unis like the ORU ladies???....I think their uniforms look much sharper.....:tb-blue:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×