Jan 31:   South Dakota State

Feb 2:   Fort Wayne

Feb 7:   Denver

Feb 10:   @ South Dakota

Feb 14:   @ North Dakota State

Feb 16:   @ North Dakota

Feb 23:   @ Western Illinois

Feb 28:   Omaha

The league did us no favors with four straight away games near the end of the conference season....

That schedule is just ridiculous.....somebody in the league office needs to do a better job......let's move to the Big West....:ph34r:

Last five games (Home/Away):

North Dakota: @SDSU, ORU, Denver, @Ft. Wayne, @ SD  (2-3)

NDSU:  ORU, SDSU, OMaha, @SD, @Ft. Wayne  (3-2)

SD:  @WIU.Denver, @SDSU, NDSU, ND  (3-2)

SDSU@Omaha, @NDSU, Ft. Wayne, SD, WIU  (3-2)

Ft. Wayne:  @Denver; @Omaha; @SDSU; ND; NDSU  (2-3)

Denver:   Ft. Wayne; @SD; @ND; WIU; Omaha  (3-2)

WIU:  SD; @Omaha; ORU; @Denver; @SDSU  (2-3)

Omaha:  Ft. Wayne; WIU; @NDSU; @ORU; @Denver  (2-3)

ORU:  @SD; @NDSU; @ND;@WIU; Omaha  (1-4)

edited to reflect correction to South Dakota's schedule & WIU's ratio. Sorry for the goof

I do agree that having 4 straight road games is rough.  I have not looked at every teams schedule but NDSU also has 4 straight road games near the end of their schedule.  They have 2 home games after that stretch to end their season not 1 home game like ORU.  Other teams (SDSU included) have 4 of 5 games on the road but they have their home game in the middle of their road games.  ORU ends their season with 4-home games, 4-road games and their final home game.  Instead of having 4 home games and then 4 road games in a row, it would be nice if they broke it up.

I don't know what you feel about doubleheaders but have some of them are on your schedule.  Your final road games of the season on Feb 23rd at Western Illinois and January 20th at Denver.  Those are single game road trips where both teams play at the same place on the same day so they can travel together.

You do have a couple of other road trips that the teams could travel together but there is a slight problem.  The women play on Wednesday and the men play on Thursday.  

One of those trips is to North Dakota.  The women play Wednesday night @NDSU, the men play Thursday night @NDSU and then both the men and women play a doubleheader Saturday @UND.  I think it is only 80 miles or so from Fargo to Grand Forks.  You can watch 4 games in 4 days and only have to drive just over 1 hour.  The problem with that is who wants to spend 4 days in North Dakota and then go back to South Dakota for the Summit League Tournament 3 weeks later?

There is another trip like this except the games are far away from each other.  The women play @IPFW on Wednesday, the men play @IPFW on Thursday and then both teams play @SDSU on Saturday.  

The thing I like about the schedule is there aren't any overlapping games.  In years past, either the men or women would be playing at home, and at the same time, the other team would be playing on the road.  You are at the home game watching it and trying to listen to the other game on the radio or asking other people for updates.

Even with the challenges of scheduling for a nine-team conference, there is no way that the conference should have two teams with 4 of 5 on the road at the end of the season - and another with all five games at home.  Very poorly done.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, goyotes said:

USD only has 3 of their last 5 games at home.  

I have to agree with goyotes.  USD goes to Brookings to play SDSU on February 23rd.  That is their 3rd to last game and two games before that I think they travel to Western Illinois.  If the rest of the above post is correct, there isn't a team in the conference that has more then 3 of their last 5 games at home.

Western Illinois would have 2 home games and 3 away games so ORU would be the only team with only one of their last 5 games at home.  I don't know why they got the short end of the stick.

Sorry for the error... corrected the info above to reflect the true information.

• 2 months later...

Match-ups set for next two seasons of Summit/WAC Challenge.  While I really like the collaboration between the two leagues, the road trip to woeful Chicago State in 2019/20 is disappointing.  Of the 2018/19 WAC road teams, I was hoping for Grand Canyon or Kansas City.  But, at least it's a non-stop flight.

More than anything, assignments against new-D1 Cal Baptist and perennial 300+ RPI Chicago State shows how low the perception of ORU has fallen in the Summit League.  No where to go but UP! 

SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Summit League and Western Athletic Conference officials announced Wednesday the matchups and dates for the first year of The Summit League/WAC Challenge in men's basketball.

The Challenge features head-to-head competition between all nine teams. Matchups were set based upon factors including the previous year's achievements, records and RPI rankings, as well as projected rankings in the upcoming season. Those teams with home games in 2018 will play on the road in 2019 and vice versa. In addition, teams will not face the same opponent in back-to-back years.

"We developed this series to assist both of our memberships with non-conference scheduling," Summit League Commissioner Tom Douple said. "Over a two-year period, this partnership will guarantee our programs a quality home and road opponent that will be exciting for our fans to follow."

The complete list of matchups and times for the 2018-19 schedule is below:
Nov. 6         Grand Canyon at South Dakota State               7 p.m. CT
Nov. 6         North Dakota State at NM State                         7:30 p.m. MT
Nov. 13      California Baptist at Oral Roberts                        7 p.m. CT
Dec. 1         Kansas City at Purdue Fort Wayne                     2 p.m. ET
Dec. 1         CSU Bakersfield at South Dakota                                        3:30 p.m. CT
Dec. 1         Denver at Utah Valley                                             7 p.m. MT
Dec. 5         North Dakota at UT Rio Grande Valley             7 p.m. CT
Dec. 6         Omaha at Seattle U                                                 7 p.m. PT
Dec. 20      Chicago State at Western Illinois                         2 p.m. CT

In addition, here are the matchups for the 2019-20 season with times and dates to be determined. Those are South Dakota at California Baptist; South Dakota State at CSU Bakersfield; Oral Roberts at Chicago State; Purdue Fort Wayne at Grand Canyon; Western Illinois at Kansas City; NM State at Denver; Seattle U at North Dakota; UT Rio Grande Valley at Omaha; and Utah Valley at North Dakota State.